THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:10 am 

Towcestrian wrote:
Nah, this was an MW decision. He doesn't seem the type of manager to take such heavy direction as that.

Will see who is in goal at FGR.

You may be right Tow but isn't that just as much a guess as the opposite conclusion? Or was there something in his interview that swings it your way?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:52 am 

The decision to play Marschall yesterday has put the final nail into the auto promotion coffin, we had to win there and I’m confident if Kelly was in goal we would have.

Massive error from MW and I think he knows that

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:08 am 

Scribble wrote:
The decision to play Marschall yesterday has put the final nail into the auto promotion coffin, we had to win there and I’m confident if Kelly was in goal we would have.

Whilst you can suggest 'the decision play Marschall yesterday has put the final nail into the auto promotion coffin' it is equally reasonable to suggest the decision to play Kelly at Stockport put the most significant nail into the automatic promotion coffin'.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:16 am 

keyser soze wrote:
Towcestrian wrote:
Nah, this was an MW decision. He doesn't seem the type of manager to take such heavy direction as that.

You may be right Tow but isn't that just as much a guess as the opposite conclusion? Or was there something in his interview that swings it your way?

It's impossible to know either way but the one thing that gives me a tiny bit of hope is MW's interview after the game. He sounds like he knows he's messed up and I can only hope he'll correct it on Saturday.

That being said,I I find MW particularly confusing to read. He seemed far more downbeat yesterday than he did after losing 5-0 at Stockport or 4-0 at Bradford. I know we were a total mess at the back yesterday but as a manager that "likes to see the positives" I was quite surprised by his reaction.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:16 am 

MKAylesburyDon wrote:
Scribble wrote:

Whilst you can suggest 'the decision play Marschall yesterday has put the final nail into the auto promotion coffin' it is equally reasonable to suggest the decision to play Kelly at Stockport put the most significant nail into the automatic promotion coffin'.

If Marschall played at Stockport we'd have been lucky to come away with 10-0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:23 am 

keyser soze wrote:
Towcestrian wrote:

The interview went as I expected it to. Quick to defend and deflect the blame back on himself.

He didn't name check anyone obviously and just said it was team decisions he took accountability for, I think he was talking about how the team were setup and the line up.

My theory will be smashed to bits if he doubles down with Marschall at Forest Green.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:31 am 

Towcestrian wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
Towcestrian wrote:

The interview went as I expected it to. Quick to defend and deflect the blame back on himself.

He didn't name check anyone obviously and just said it was team decisions he took accountability for, I think he was talking about how the team were setup and the line up.

My theory will be smashed to bits if he doubles down with Marschall at Forest Green.

Yup, I think that was the case as he talks about how he's a genius if it works and a failure if it doesn't.

Telling you now, no one would have thought it was a genius decision to start Marshall, even if we'd have won 5-0 (not possible).

The defence was improved by putting Norman back in for Williams. We immediately kept a clean sheet by doing so (something that has been very hard to come by). Why did he not see that as enough? Why did he think he then needed to change the goalkeeper. Utterly bizarre decision making and hopefully it really has been a lesson for him.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:52 pm 

A few other points from the game.

Jack Payne looks knackered. He is struggling a bit further forwards and offers little there defensively. I would be tempted to drop him and stick MJW in at defensive midfield and see if it tightens us up away from home.

The defence just needed to get tighter down the sides away from home. The harvie/ wearne flank especially was too open.

The 3 strikers all look in fantastic form. This is a much better 3 than Eisa/ Leko/ Dean as we had at the start of the season . Harrison and Tezgel are very good back ups for the fantastic max Dean. Add in Gilbey and I would very happily see any combination of those 4 starting in our attacking positions.

We are so close to being very good. The goalie and a bit more grit at the back at in DCM and I think we can walk the play offs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:55 pm 

Zen wrote:
A few other points from the game.

Jack Payne looks knackered. He is struggling a bit further forwards and offers little there defensively. I would be tempted to drop him and stick MJW in at defensive midfield and see if it tightens us up away from home.

Yup, he's been off it for a while now. Bate has been dominating the games, which has left him a little bit like a spare part.

I wouldn't bring William's in, but I'd be tempted to bring Robson in. I thought he did well when he came on yesterday.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:32 pm 

I just do not get the constant references to Kelly being 'the best of a bad lot'. I bow to WD's goalkeeping experience, but from what I have seen of Kelly so far he looks a perfectly adequate performer at this level. He has not let us down yet.