THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:38 pm 

donmentor wrote:
I just do not get the constant references to Kelly being 'the best of a bad lot'. I bow to WD's goalkeeping experience, but from what I have seen of Kelly so far he looks a perfectly adequate performer at this level. He has not let us down yet.

Was absolutely terrible in that hammering against Brighton in the papa johns, and the first Stockport goal that changed the game was his fault.

I like Kelly but let’s not pretend he is perfect . C Mac was better than the current 2. Harness also looks a strange signing in retrospect.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:39 pm 

Zen wrote:
donmentor wrote:
I just do not get the constant references to Kelly being 'the best of a bad lot'. I bow to WD's goalkeeping experience, but from what I have seen of Kelly so far he looks a perfectly adequate performer at this level. He has not let us down yet.

Was absolutely terrible in that hammering against Brighton in the papa johns, and the first Stockport goal that changed the game was his fault.

I like Kelly but let’s not pretend he is perfect . C Mac was better than the current 2. Harness also looks a strange signing in retrospect.

I never said he was perfect, just adequate at this level.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:45 pm 

Zen wrote:
donmentor wrote:

CMac blundered against Doncaster on NYD and was equally glued to his line a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:06 pm 

Anyone saying GMac was the answer is blinded by hindsight. He wasn't a bad keeper, but he also wasn't great either. He's also been dropped twice by Stevenage now.

Despite my absolute dread of seeing Kelly on the team sheet after that Brighton game, he has impressed me a lot. I think he's been our best keeper so far this season.

Did he make mistakes against Stockport? Absolutely, but then so does every keeper, at every level. Kelly's overall game is strong, whereas Marschall makes errors and his overall game is weak. I can forgive Kelly for the odd error, because he's kept us in games with his shot stopping ability and he has created goals with his passing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:23 pm 

Picking up on some of the comments following this excellent article by WellDon, I an a bit surprised that nobody has picked up…..other than me…..on the questionable tactics as well as the team selection.
Normally Max Dean would be panicking the crap out of the defence and the keeper by chasing everything, but I can’t recall him doing it once, which is bloody strange when you look at County’s recent games where they have gifted goals.
C Mac has been mentioned, and I’m not sure he is up to much, and let’s not forget the rumour he refused to play to force the move to St Evenage, where as someone has mentioned he has been dropped a couple of times.
We definitely came up short hiring keepers this term, two are barely adequate for this level, the other two are just not up to it……serious misjudgement by someone.
And I will add, I’ve been saying this all season, I haven’t just jumped on the bandwagon this weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:15 pm 

WellDon wrote:
Picking up on some of the comments following this excellent article by WellDon, I an a bit surprised that nobody has picked up…..other than me…..on the questionable tactics as well as the team selection.
Normally Max Dean would be panicking the crap out of the defence and the keeper by chasing everything, but I can’t recall him doing it once, which is bloody strange when you look at County’s recent games where they have gifted goals.
C Mac has been mentioned, and I’m not sure he is up to much, and let’s not forget the rumour he refused to play to force the move to St Evenage, where as someone has mentioned he has been dropped a couple of times.
We definitely came up short hiring keepers this term, two are barely adequate for this level, the other two are just not up to it……serious misjudgement by someone.
And I will add, I’ve been saying this all season, I haven’t just jumped on the bandwagon this weekend.

I felt a bit like Aliramone reading that, and got a bit muddled as to which points were yours, and which were by WellDon in his excellent article. Hic Burp Belch. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:17 pm 

WellDon wrote:

Our GK recruitment has been awful this season.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:49 pm 

Zen wrote:
A few other points from the game.

Jack Payne looks knackered. He is struggling a bit further forwards and offers little there defensively. I would be tempted to drop him and stick MJW in at defensive midfield and see if it tightens us up away from home.

The defence just needed to get tighter down the sides away from home. The harvie/ wearne flank especially was too open.

The 3 strikers all look in fantastic form. This is a much better 3 than Eisa/ Leko/ Dean as we had at the start of the season . Harrison and Tezgel are very good back ups for the fantastic max Dean. Add in Gilbey and I would very happily see any combination of those 4 starting in our attacking positions.

We are so close to being very good. The goalie and a bit more grit at the back at in DCM and I think we can walk the play offs.

Love your final para. So hope it’s true. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:10 pm 

Plum wrote:
WellDon wrote:

I felt a bit like Aliramone reading that, and got a bit muddled as to which points were yours, and which were by WellDon in his excellent article. Hic Burp Belch. ;)

It's a lot of fun in Aliworld innit?
Burp Burp. Hic Burp Belch.
WellDon...excellent article? Shome mishtake shirley? ;)