THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Managers choices
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:08 am 

From WellDon's Meltdown thread... this is pure specualtion but just to throw it in the mix...

WellDon wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
WellDon wrote:
Gravel Path to Martti wrote:
WellDon wrote:
I’ve heard the talk about contractual obligations regarding Marschall and that has to be bollocks, how a club could sign a player with clauses that say the said player must play if fully fit is ridiculous, and if it really is the case, Sweeting, Williamson, and Winkie have lost the bloody plot. I’m sorry I just don’t believe we could be that bloody stupid, even though as I’m typing this, I am doubting myself, as I know this club is no stranger to being bloody stupid….we visit it on a regular basis.

When we loaned Shaun Cummings from Chelsea, I'm almost certain there was an agreement in place where if he played that week then Chelsea paid his wages, if he didn't play when fit then we paid the wages.

If that’s the case, we are gambling on the clubs future based on a few grand in players wages, that is very poor in my eyes……but I’m not shocked.

If that's true. then playing him was likely a Board led decision, not a Head Coach one. If so, I'd be fuming if I was MW...

What he said…..that’s not a clever way to run a club.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:09 am 

East Wing Don wrote:
Pseudonym wrote:
To be fair, MW said the County result was on him.

I completely agree. I just hope its for the reasons we all think:

1. Playing Marschall over Kelly
2. Playing Wearne as LWB rather than moving Harvie back to that position and putting Lewie in as LWB.
3. Generally favouring attack at the expense of defence.

..But I doubt it.

The whole Wearne at left back thing is just crazy, especially away from home. As soon as that line up went out, seeing Marschall in goal and Wearne at LWB, you just knew we were in for a tough time. I know managers know a lot more than us about football and the tactical side of things, but this is definitely something we got right and Williamson got wrong. I know its easy to say we were right after the game, but this was all called well before. We'd seen the GK and we'd see Wearne play LWB previously and it just doesn't work at all.

I've definitely lost a bit of faith in MW after yesterday. I gave him the benefit of the doubt when he played Wearne at LWB before, but to do it again yesterday and persist for the whole game is insanity.

He doesn't want to play Lewi though, unfortunately. He's yet to learn that what Lewi lacks in speed/agility, he makes up for in defensive awareness and positioning.

We win that game yesterday with Kelly in goal and Lewi on the pitch with Harvie at LWB. Manager has cost us 2 points and remaining chance of auto's.

He does seem to be being allowed to jettison Lewington without much comment, which is surprising. I know he's now close to 40, but any fan on here who mentions that has soon been shut down with the whole 'every year we have this about Lewington's age / lack of pace!' Yet Williamson is omitting Lewington even when it means playing midfielders (struggling) at CB or LB instead, and not receiving much criticism about it. Not saying that's a bad thing. Just surprising.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:15 am 

keyser soze wrote:
From WellDon's Meltdown thread... this is pure specualtion but just to throw it in the mix...

WellDon wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
WellDon wrote:
WellDon wrote:
I’ve heard the talk about contractual obligations regarding Marschall and that has to be bollocks, how a club could sign a player with clauses that say the said player must play if fully fit is ridiculous, and if it really is the case, Sweeting, Williamson, and Winkie have lost the bloody plot. I’m sorry I just don’t believe we could be that bloody stupid, even though as I’m typing this, I am doubting myself, as I know this club is no stranger to being bloody stupid….we visit it on a regular basis.

When we loaned Shaun Cummings from Chelsea, I'm almost certain there was an agreement in place where if he played that week then Chelsea paid his wages, if he didn't play when fit then we paid the wages.

If that’s the case, we are gambling on the clubs future based on a few grand in players wages, that is very poor in my eyes……but I’m not shocked.

If that's true. then playing him was likely a Board led decision, not a Head Coach one. If so, I'd be fuming if I was MW...

Might be true. Though WellDon's meltdown also initially came to the conclusion that Williamson was picking him because he was 'his signing', and that he wanted to give him another chance to come good. Which also might be true. And which is not a clever way to manage team selection. And I'd be fuming at MW if that's true. Shit decision either way, whoever made it. As was signing him in the first place - which is definitely on MW.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:34 am 

Plum wrote:
keyser soze wrote:

WellDon wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
WellDon wrote:
WellDon wrote:

Might be true. Though WellDon's meltdown also initially came to the conclusion that Williamson was picking him because he was 'his signing', and that he wanted to give him another chance to come good. Which also might be true. And which is not a clever way to manage team selection. And I'd be fuming at MW if that's true. Shit decision either way, whoever made it. As was signing him in the first place - which is definitely on MW.

I was thinking yesterday how much the situation reminded of Shaun Cummings. That got to a really toxic point eventually. I can't remember the away game, but he was pretty much being booed by our own fans, with a lot of 'F-off back to Chelsea' shouts. He ended up having a run in the Championship with Reading and Millwall, although finished his career with just 172 games.

I can't remember what alternative players we had at the time, but I still struggle to believe the club would put themselves in a position where there would be significant financial implication for not playing a player.

I don't doubt that that we pay a percentage of Marschall's wages, which may be higher if he doesn't feature (or the other way round) but surely not enough to jeopardise the success of the club?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:35 am 

Plum wrote:
keyser soze wrote:

WellDon wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
WellDon wrote:
WellDon wrote:

Even if there is a clause like that in the loan contract (there are similar with PL clubs where they loan a player for free if he plays X number of games but there is a fee if they play less), the decision to bring him in is on MW. Blaming Sweeting/Winkie/etc is placing it at the wrong doorstep imo.
It's 100% on MW and we can only hope that Kelly comes back in to the team against FGR on Saturday . Unfortunately, most managers do seem very stubborn and will keep with their original decision even when everyone else in the world can see that it is the wrong one. Like a one man crusade to prove that they know better.

I'd hate to wish an injury on anyone but it might be best for everyone here. Not going to do FM any good with the crowd on his back every week and his own defenders not wanting to pass back to him. The players defying their manager and keeping the ball away from his feet is the only way we'll go up in the play offs imo. Bring Kelly back and we have a far, far better chance.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:36 am 

Russybcool wrote:
Warwickdons wrote:
BetterCallSaul wrote:
Williamson is a massive ducking idiot making this change this late in the season. Absolutely horrific management which will cost us promotion. He needs to stop being so fucking stubborn, admit he’s made a mistake and play Kelly.

Agree

See I don't see it as that. Ok I was a bit drunk but there was a bit in it where he sounds like he doesn't care that Marschall played yesterday. I think he realised he made this mess but not sorry that he was playing him as I sware he said something along the lines of I don't care. No man is just gutted that the honeymoon is over and that he has to take account for playing a man who is out of his depth. Buck stops with him and if we don't go up I am sure the Williamson love in will stop. For all the good he has done the one thing he didn't need to cock about with is biting us on the arse big time and he is just pissed that people will point finger at him. And so they should.

Disgraceful. No place for that sort of thing on here.
Now then, where's the paracetamol? ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:48 am 

WellDon wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
WellDon wrote:
WellDon wrote:

[/quote]
Might be true. Though WellDon's meltdown also initially came to the conclusion that Williamson was picking him because he was 'his signing', and that he wanted to give him another chance to come good. Which also might be true. And which is not a clever way to manage team selection. And I'd be fuming at MW if that's true. Shit decision either way, whoever made it. As was signing him in the first place - which is definitely on MW.[/quote]

I was thinking yesterday how much the situation reminded of Shaun Cummings. That got to a really toxic point eventually. I can't remember the away game, but he was pretty much being booed by our own fans, with a lot of 'F-off back to Chelsea' shouts. He ended up having a run in the Championship with Reading and Millwall, although finished his career with just 172 games.

I can't remember what alternative players we had at the time, but I still struggle to believe the club would put themselves in a position where there would be significant financial implication for not playing a player.

I don't doubt that that we pay a percentage of Marschall's wages, which may be higher if he doesn't feature (or the other way round) but surely not enough to jeopardise the success of the club?[/quote]

A quick Google tells me that we'd earn an extra £200k from the EFL (on average) for being in L1 rather than L2. We averaged about 2k more home fans in L1 last season which could be approx. £15 average per person (£690k over a season).

Even if we pay all of FM's £4.3k wages per week and a small loan fee, that comes to around £100k.

We are risking almost £900k to save £100k. Imagine doing that at work and keeping your job!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:58 am 

The biggest surprise for me is that anyone is surprised that Marschall started yesterday. I was shocked that he didnt start against Walsall.

Its seem pretty obvious to me that Marschall is MWs first choice. Whether thats by his own unhindered decision making or has external factors influencing him I dont know but either way, the pick seemed inevitable to me. Im much less certain who will play in goal against FGR. Everything but everything says it should be Kelly but with only 4 games left and hopefully a playoff campaign, I can totally see MW sticking with Marschall and hoping he can find some form.

The easy ride that MW is getting over not picking Lewington is I believe because most of the fans can see the decline. A near 40 year old, returning from one of if not the worst, then the longest injury lay offs of his career, to be kind he is at least a stone overweight probably more and when he did get back in the team, his form became poor and several bad mistakes were made.

I understand the love a huge proportion of the fanbase have for him and how difficult it will be when he has to hang up his boots but his career is very close to the end now and I would rather he were to finish at a relative high rather than plod on and finish a fantastic career with journeyman performances.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:36 pm 

Magpie wrote:
The biggest surprise for me is that anyone is surprised that Marschall started yesterday. I was shocked that he didnt start against Walsall.

Its seem pretty obvious to me that Marschall is MWs first choice. Whether thats by his own unhindered decision making or has external factors influencing him I dont know but either way, the pick seemed inevitable to me. Im much less certain who will play in goal against FGR. Everything but everything says it should be Kelly but with only 4 games left and hopefully a playoff campaign, I can totally see MW sticking with Marschall and hoping he can find some form.

The easy ride that MW is getting over not picking Lewington is I believe because most of the fans can see the decline. A near 40 year old, returning from one of if not the worst, then the longest injury lay offs of his career, to be kind he is at least a stone overweight probably more and when he did get back in the team, his form became poor and several bad mistakes were made.

I understand the love a huge proportion of the fanbase have for him and how difficult it will be when he has to hang up his boots but his career is very close to the end now and I would rather he were to finish at a relative high rather than plod on and finish a fantastic career with journeyman performances.

Agree about the realisation that Lewie is finally on the decline to an end. He's always bounced back to form relatively quickly but hasn't been great since coming back. He could still get there as he seems to defy his own age most of the time but has slipped behind Harvie in the pecking order. MW seems to like playing ex-full/wing backs as CB anyway which isn't helping Lewie.
If we do go up, playing in L1 might be the final straw for Lewie's playing days

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:19 pm 

AB4 wrote:
Magpie wrote:

Agree about the realisation that Lewie is finally on the decline to an end. He's always bounced back to form relatively quickly but hasn't been great since coming back. He could still get there as he seems to defy his own age most of the time but has slipped behind Harvie in the pecking order. MW seems to like playing ex-full/wing backs as CB anyway which isn't helping Lewie.
If we do go up, playing in L1 might be the final straw for Lewie's playing days

He is out of contract in June. He has beaten the record for more appearences which is what I would have wanted him to do but let's be honest, 1 we can't rely on him forever. 2. He is not the man he once was and has been liable for some howlers this season. It's time for him to call it a day and I hope he gets a fucking good send off and a statue outside the club shop. The man will always be a legend and will always be welcome at the club I am sure of it

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next