THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:36 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:00 am 

As we approach the end of the season and the dreaded playoffs look increasingly likely, I was wondering about this question.

Is it better for us to know with a few weeks to spare that our automatic promotion hopes are over so that we can mentally prepare ourselves and maybe MW can rotate a bit for the last few games? Or is it better if we're in the fight for autos right up until the end of the season before falling short on the final day and then having to lift ourselves to go again in the playoffs a few days later?

Looking back at our last playoff campaign under Manning, I can't help but feel we gave so much in that final few weeks of the season and that must have had an impact in the first leg of that Wycombe game. I'm not saying I want us to lose a load of games and give up on the autos, but purely from a psychological perspective, which is better?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:06 am 

We don't win the play offs because of our away form.

If we finish 4th or 5th, we'll go into the second leg 2 or 3 nil down already. If by some miracle we do get to our first ever play off final, our lack of experience and the pressure (we'll be favourites) will result in our downfall.

Size and condition of pitch has nothing to do with it, as was proved at Stockport. The players aren't mentally capable of playing away from MK.

Also, on your note about just missing out of auto's and going into the play offs downbeat, I think there is little chance of that. We're 3 points adrift having played a game more and a significantly worse goal difference. We'll miss out by a fair bit.

Last edited by East Wing Don on Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:07 am 

East Wing Don wrote:

If we finish 4th or 5th, we'll go into the second leg 2 or 3 nil down already. If by some miracle we do get to our first ever play off final, our lack of experience and the pressure (we'll be favourites) will result in our downfall.

Size and condition of pitch has nothing to do with it, as was proved at Stockport. The players aren't mentally capable of playing away from MK.

I agree with most of what you're saying, but that doesn't answer the question

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:08 am 

DonnieAndMooie wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:

Sorry, just edited my original reply just after posting.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:09 am 

DonnieAndMooie wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:

Although, I have always thought its the team with momentum that win the plays off. Pretty sure 4th place is usually the more likely to win? Would need to look back at previous results.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:10 am 

DonnieAndMooie wrote:
As we approach the end of the season and the dreaded playoffs look increasingly likely, I was wondering about this question.

Is it better for us to know with a few weeks to spare that our automatic promotion hopes are over so that we can mentally prepare ourselves and maybe MW can rotate a bit for the last few games? Or is it better if we're in the fight for autos right up until the end of the season before falling short on the final day and then having to lift ourselves to go again in the playoffs a few days later?

Looking back at our last playoff campaign under Manning, I can't help but feel we gave so much in that final few weeks of the season and that must have had an impact in the first leg of that Wycombe game. I'm not saying I want us to lose a load of games and give up on the autos, but purely from a psychological perspective, which is better?

Im not sure whats best but the first leg of the wycombe game was all of our own making. For reasons I will never understand, it looked to me like we turned up and decided to abandon the way we had played all season and try and match them like for like. Unsurprisingly it turned out they were quite a bit better playing that way then we were.

I thought we were very unfortunate not have have won the home leg by enough as we pretty much played them off the park but the damage was already done.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:19 am 

East Wing Don wrote:

Also, on your note about just missing out of auto's and going into the play offs downbeat, I think there is little chance of that. We're 3 points adrift having played a game more and a significantly worse goal difference. We'll miss out by a fair bit.

Wrexham v Mansfield Friday. While it's not looking likely for top 3. Bit early to throw the towel in.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:23 am 

The away form will turn.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:38 am 

As the song almost says, "Get me to the play offs on time". Then put in some training dealing with our obvious weaknesses, i would be happy for Mike to rotate if we were through.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:48 pm 

I think come Tuesday, we will be saying we are back in the mix for auto's