THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kelly
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:04 pm 

Russybcool wrote:
We had a good keeper.

He wasn't all that (in my opinion). However, your point about our defense is bang on. The world's greatest goalies would concede with our defense. Given Williamson was a premier league defender, that's a real concern.

Oh well, it's all down to the lottery of the play offs now, I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:16 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
Russybcool wrote:
We had a good keeper.

He wasn't all that (in my opinion). However, your point about our defense is bang on. The world's greatest goalies would concede with our defense. Given Williamson was a premier league defender, that's a real concern.

Oh well, it's all down to the lottery of the play offs now, I guess.

I said good. Not going to win any awards of course not but he was sold down a fucking river like all of us. The irony is that his replacement sits on the bench which will piss off villa. I just didn't get Williamsons thought process with this. It wasn't broke. I am sure a good keeper coach could train into Mcg what Williamson wanted and if that didn't work, then get a new keeper in the summer. A decent keeper can build confidence, especially in a fragile back line like ours as if they know they have a good stopper if they mess up it may not lead to a goal. They do say you build from the back.

It's just a really big stain on Williamsons CV and a problem of his own making.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:52 pm 

I think McG was just about coming into his best form under MW, if not the season just before he left. The Crawley game sticks in the mind, but a few before that too.

This thing about 'he wasn't a good sitributor'or 'wasn't good with his feet' thing might be all well and good if you get someone in, tried and tested who is proven to be a clear upgrade. He might've worked with Marschall before, but was still young and inexperienced at this level being thrown in mid season.
Kelly, inexperienced in League football too.

I reckon there was more to McG's departure than just simply 'you don't fit our style'... but if it was the style, and the style only, I backed the managers decision, and if it worked it'd have been a master stroke but it didn't.

Kelly has been fine. I'd say a 6.5 out of 10. The way some go on about him being 'outstanding' etc.. he's 2 months into his first team action with us, and if this exact replica of performances were in October from the start of the season I'd bet my house on the views being different. People are happy because he's not Marschall, but he's conceded some absolutely shocking goals, some of his kicking (especially short which is apparently our kryptonite with goalies this campaign) has been woeful, passing and clearing, he's saved some shots that have the fans impressed but I maintain, that's surely the easiest of the fundamental requirements from a goalkeeper?? Saving shots should be your bare minimum, the sweeper keeper stuff should be the bonus that puts you above everyone else.

Lee Nicholls is, and was a better goalkeeper for us than Andy Fisher. But Fisher fit Russ' style. And it was clear the moment he swapped them why Fisher worked and Lee didn't, for this side.
Jamie Cumming I thought and still do think, is a better keeper than Fisher. It was clear why he was more suited to Liam Manning than Fisher (though out of his hands, I'd imagine it wasn't one he was devastated at and got over quickly as we all did.).
I can see why Kelly is better than Marschall, but I can't see what he offers more than McG did.
I hope its something we'll have sorted by the summer because, whatever League we're in Kelly is not good enough.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:38 am 

I never understood the criticism of McG’s passing, I thought he was pretty good and rarely made a mistake. I didn’t think he was very good in the air though.

Ny views on Kelly have been up and down. I do think he’s received extra praise due to following Marschall and we were desperate for someone even remotely competent.

He’s proving to be very error prone though and when he used to inspire me with confidence in the air, he’s been flapping at a lot of crosses lately.

The Goalkeeper situation has been a disaster really and MW is to blame for that for bringing in Marschall. I said at the time I watched a considerable amount of footage of him at Gateshead and he looked a liability.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:07 am 

My take on the goalkeeper is this, we had a competent keeper, for what ever reason, Williamson, who has improved performance, didn't want him, bought in a kid who's a rabbit in the headlights, the further back up, now fit, is worse and loaned unsurprisingly to our feeder club, Kelly has done ok, but is error prone, but it's league 2 ffs, get a grip, probably need 2 wins for the playoffs , and we know what's coming, overall, failing to get a promotion from what ever way, with the squad we have is a massive failure I'm afraid.
Winkelman has to take plenty of blame, he originally appointed Alexander, totally the wrong manager.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:25 am 

And he sacked him at a time we needed to and didn't wait like usual. How this is on Winkelman I don't know.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:16 am 

Alby39 wrote:
And he sacked him at a time we needed to and didn't wait like usual. How this is on Winkelman I don't know.

Because he stole the club, ripping it from the heart of its community. Never forgive, never forget.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:39 am 

Alby39 wrote:

You must know the record by now. Blame PW for everything, even when he makes the right decision.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:06 am 

I can point fingers at him (and others, it isn't just him) for being in this League but that's been and gone, no point debating a nearly year old problem - the goalkeepers isn't something I'm willing to even remotely blame him for. Or even Sweeting, tbh.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:31 am 

There's no great mystery to all of this. We're just not good enough. A lack of on-field investment has left us yet another Stevenage, or Northampton. A couple of years in L1, then a couple in L2. That's how it'll be until we get some proper investment. But we won't as long as PW is at the helm.

We're a yo-yo club. Get used to it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next