THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 9:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: How we feeling?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:44 am 

East Wing Don wrote:
Got this nagging feeling we're going to win the play offs. Not sure why, as we're historically beyond shit at them.

All I hope is that we avoid AFC entirely. I can't be dealing with that. I also think we'd absolutely crumble at their place if we got them in the semi's, similar (but worse) than we did against Wycombe.

After Grimsby last week I decided to book the day of the playoff final off work. So I will now feel personally responsible for jinxing us if we lose in the semi.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:52 am 

East Wing Don wrote:
The Mansfield result gives me some hope but I still feel our away results will be the reason we miss out on auto's.

This isn't a recent issue and has been the main area of inconsistency under MW. We saw the exact same under RM too, where we could win at home but didn't pick up much away.

I think at home, where we have the majority of support, our slow build up play and 'keep ball' tactics are demoralising for the opposition. However, away from home where the opposition have the home support behind them, it doesn't have the same impact and they have extra drive to keep pushing to limit space and time on the ball.

Our wide pitch is also part of the reason. On narrower pitches, it's easier to restrict us and make the press work.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:55 am 

To the original question:

Feeling so much happier than under Alexander, whatever happens. I'm still hopeful of sneaking the third auto spot. But if we miss that, I have zero confidence about the playoffs. Been there too many times and experienced too much heartbreak. So, straight up or we regroup for next season.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:05 am 

keyser soze wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
The Mansfield result gives me some hope but I still feel our away results will be the reason we miss out on auto's.

This isn't a recent issue and has been the main area of inconsistency under MW. We saw the exact same under RM too, where we could win at home but didn't pick up much away.

I think at home, where we have the majority of support, our slow build up play and 'keep ball' tactics are demoralising for the opposition. However, away from home where the opposition have the home support behind them, it doesn't have the same impact and they have extra drive to keep pushing to limit space and time on the ball.

Our wide pitch is also part of the reason. On narrower pitches, it's easier to restrict us and make the press work.

I wonder if pitches sizes are listed somewhere. Would be interesting to see how ours compares to others. I know they can only differ a little bit, but I suspect we have gone for the biggest available, whereas the likes of Grimsby have gone for the smallest.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:07 am 

East Wing Don wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:

I wonder if pitches sizes are listed somewhere. Would be interesting to see how ours compares to others. I know they can only differ a little bit, but I suspect we have gone for the biggest available, whereas the likes of Grimsby have gone for the smallest.

Blundell Park is wider than S:MK - although it is shorter. You can find the dimensions on wikipedia.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:07 am 

East Wing Don wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:

In various post match interviews, our players sometimes refer to our big pitch.

Mind you, it was wider in RDM's time. He had the lines drawn almost up to the edge of the grass!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:21 am 

The last two games have been the epitome of how I feel we will do. Im still of the belief we will fall just short of the autos do to away inconsistency.

Mansfield and probably Stockport with their games in hand are most likely too far away to catch so it comes down to us, Wrexham and Crewe.

The losses away against AFC and Grimsby were as bad as the wins against Salford and Crewe at home good. Thats what will cost us I think, Stockport this week will be tough and Notts County coming up will be difficult as well

God only knows in the autos, its a lottery at best.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:37 am 

I feel okay, I suspect we will make the autos but Saturday's game is huge, if we win that we have a great chance.
As much as people think we have been inconsistent the other teams around us are worse and with Stockport if you take out their record breaking run of wins (12?) they must have been bang average in all the other games.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:38 am 

East Wing Don wrote:
Got this nagging feeling we're going to win the play offs. Not sure why, as we're historically beyond shit at them.

All I hope is that we avoid AFC entirely. I can't be dealing with that. I also think we'd absolutely crumble at their place if we got them in the semi's, similar (but worse) than we did against Wycombe.

We wont lose away from home until the end of season

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:38 am 

I’d say keep Sunday May 19th free just in case, we’re in a scrap for third place realistically, to go up automatically we need to be more robust away from home, we seem to have a problem with teams lower down the table away, but seem able to be up for the fight with teams around us, Mansfield/Grimsby away games highlight that fact

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next