THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:09 pm 

Ormeau wrote:
Slowly falling in love with Bate. What a fantastic technical player he is. I don't think we have much hope of keeping him unless we go up and even then it will be a struggle.

Chalk that one up in the success column for Sweeting's transfers.

You never know, he might really appreciate the chance we gave him (playing first team football again) and sign with the view of getting us promoted (if we don't go up this year).
Makes you wonder how many of potential superstars Leeds have that we can look to give playing time to.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:58 pm 

AB4 wrote:
Ormeau wrote:
Slowly falling in love with Bate. What a fantastic technical player he is. I don't think we have much hope of keeping him unless we go up and even then it will be a struggle.

You never know, he might really appreciate the chance we gave him (playing first team football again) and sign with the view of getting us promoted (if we don't go up this year).
Makes you wonder how many of potential superstars Leeds have that we can look to give playing time to.

Yep, if we go up (And that is an IF), LB and his agent should look at the likes of O'Riley, Twine, Darling, who on paper were players we had no divine right to sign, but knew that they could showcase their talent here, with the clear pathway of getting that big move.

He's a complete joke for League 2 and far too good to be continuing here, but he's a young lad and will get his move at some stage. Hopefully via MK Dons in League 1.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:15 pm 

BuckDon wrote:
AB4 wrote:
Ormeau wrote:

Yep, if we go up (And that is an IF), LB and his agent should look at the likes of O'Riley, Twine, Darling, who on paper were players we had no divine right to sign, but knew that they could showcase their talent here, with the clear pathway of getting that big move.

He's a complete joke for League 2 and far too good to be continuing here, but he's a young lad and will get his move at some stage. Hopefully via MK Dons in League 1.

Yep, too good for us but we are a great platform.
Also, with the attacking football that we play, it's easy to make players look great and earn those moves up the leagues.

I don't think he'd be a free transfer anyway as there must be some compo owed to Leeds due to his age.
Either way, keep playing well with us next season and he could have multiple championship clubs after him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:48 pm 

AB4 wrote:
BuckDon wrote:
AB4 wrote:
Ormeau wrote:

Also, with the attacking football that we play, it's easy to make players look great and earn those moves up the leagues.

I don't think he'd be a free transfer anyway as there must be some compo owed to Leeds due to his age.
Either way, keep playing well with us next season and he could have multiple championship clubs after him.

Only if Leeds offer him a new contract, which I don't believe they have/are so he'll leave on a free without compensation being required.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:31 pm 

A few here didn't rate Bate after his first game, but he has absolutely proven his worth. He can play in League One and start, definitely. He's possibly a bit small right now to start in the Championship but he's another one who will end up playing for a team like Cardiff or Sunderland in 4-5 years and we'll still talk fondly about him.

Excellent player.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:38 pm 

Bate, for me, is up there with the most technically gifted players we’ve ever had (Not necessarily the best footballer, note). Lovely to watch and has superb close control. Jason Puncheon and Lewis Baker are probably the two he’s reminded me of most.

Whether that translates to a career in the top flight is another matter though. I’m sure his stature counts against him in the eyes of many managers and coaches and is probably the reason he’s not broken through at Leeds. It’s far more likely he’ll join the ranks of the diminutive players in The Championship like Barry Bannan, match winners capable of the incredible on their day, but ultimately denied a top flight career because there’s always someone bigger and stronger to do a similar role. A shame, but that’s the way football is at the top level here.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:40 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
AB4 wrote:
BuckDon wrote:
AB4 wrote:
Ormeau wrote:

Only if Leeds offer him a new contract, which I don't believe they have/are so he'll leave on a free without compensation being required.

Will there be any compensation for training and development, even if he isn't to be offered a new contract?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:45 pm 

Camdenite wrote:
Bate, for me, is up there with the most technically gifted players we’ve ever had (Not necessarily the best footballer, note). Lovely to watch and has superb close control. Jason Puncheon and Lewis Baker are probably the two he’s reminded me of most.

Whether that translates to a career in the top flight is another matter though. I’m sure his stature counts against him in the eyes of many managers and coaches and is probably the reason he’s not broken through at Leeds. It’s far more likely he’ll join the ranks of the diminutive players in The Championship like Barry Bannan, match winners capable of the incredible on their day, but ultimately denied a top flight career because there’s always someone bigger and stronger to do a similar role. A shame, but that’s the way football is at the top level here.

From one of Bate's interviews, it sounded like was expecting to play in the championship for Leeds this year. He did well for Oxford in L1 before that. But Daniel Farke didn't want him so he was left in limbo. So he is certainly good enough for L1 and probably some championship sides too. And he'll progress given his age.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:47 pm 

Camdenite wrote:

As barmy as it may sound, I have to agree with you. Hes been vital to the system MW is trying to play. The CB's can give him the ball in most scenario's and know that he will keep the ball and find space. I cant think of many players we have had over the years who look as comfortable on the ball as Bate.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:51 pm 

Apparently Leeds are not renewing his contract which expires in the summer, whether he would sign for us on a permanent might depend on what league we end up in next season, he might agree to a one year deal in league 1, but he’s well capable of playing a higher level.

The Payne/Bate combo in midfield is a joy to watch, two technically gifted players, pint sized pocket rockets who can make a team tick