THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:55 pm 

THE MELTDOWN – MANSFIELD
Not gone again, soon be getting my membership revoked at this rate, so it’s an evening in front of IFollow and a few pints of warm beer, in a nice warm room. I honestly cannot see anything other than a defeat but of course I won’t be upset to be wrong.

Team News….and any optimism I had has been quickly snuffed out with the news that Wearne is injured, and in comes Dennis who has done little or nothing when presented opportunities previously. God know he owes us a performance, but I’m not sure he has one in him. MW has blown smoke up his arse before when in honesty he was awful, so he owes the gaffer one as well as us, in my book he goes in the summer….I won’t be sorry, we made a mistake in January not going for the Gateshead striker who continues to score for fun.

Lewie is back from suspension and on the bench with Lofthouse keeping him out again, MJ starts, and Cam Norman is benched.

5 former Dons tonight, Bowery, Cargill, and Quinn start, with Williams and Boateng will waiting in the wings.

Here come the teams…….and I’m considering upgrading that beer to something stronger….it should help the pain, by the way the pitch looks awful and I’m listening to the home commentary who are describing this as a “Monster Game”, interestingly as well, they have just mentioned that George Williams and Dean Lewington are the only two survivors from that winner takes all game 5 years ago.

One thing I have noticed is Mansfield are a big side, Flint looks about 7 foot tall.

Another stat rolled out by the Stags comms; the Dons have conceded more goals in the first 16 minutes than any other team in LG 2.

What do ya know….we break, Gilbey lays it off to Dennis, and his first touch is tragic….and I mean tragic.

Looks like two teams that want to try and play football…how refreshing after Saturday.

Ref Lee Swabey misses an obvious corner for us, business as usual….goal kick.

Have to say Bowery is looking decent as a right wingback…who knew.

Penalty for handball against MJ…not sure…bad angle…..against us, I can’t call it, but ref Swabey does.

FFS…..Kelly saves the pen and the rebound and the third attempt is forced over by former Don Quinn…...oh yes, that stat strikes again, conceded inside 16 minutes….should I be angry, that not one defender gets near the ball.

Hold the back page……Kelly kicks it long, the defender heads it straight at Gilbey who races forward and thumps it past Pym from range.

It’s come to my attention that ref Swabey is a ladybit, not liking his Charles Breakspear take on the game.

25 minutes gone and other than the trampoline touch by Dennis I can’t recall him touching it.

Good game so far….really enjoying it. Bate and Payne seeing lots of positive ball so far.

I like the Stags comms…this guy is good, very enthusiastic.

OK I’ve been harsh on Dennis, he’s just cleared one off the line from a Flint header, interestingly it was their corner and we left two men up front forcing some of their defenders to retreat.

Unbelievable a free header from Dennis 6 yards out, and unchallenged he heads it wide, ignore my comment about being harsh…he is currently contesting our worst ever forward award….what do you mean there isn’t such an award……I’m on the phone to a trophy supplier as we speak.

Half time 1-1…not a bad game so far.

First chance of the second half falls to us, Gilbey sets Tommo on his way with Flint in his wake and he fires it into the side netting…another big chance goes begging.

Bloody hell Kelly kicks it out short to one of their players and then saves to get himself out of jail.

Dennis finally middles one, unfortunately for him it’s Cargill’s leg, it’s a booking, FFS get him off please.

OMG…..OMG….OMG…….shoot me now….Matt Dennis has scored….I’m sorry God, I love him really.

This is open here, Mansfield are throwing players forward, there are more goals here for sure.

Here come the subs, Tezgel and Harrison are coming on for Dennis and Kemp, Mansfield make three changes including Cargill coming off, no sign of Boateng or Williams yet.

30 minutes to go.

This pitch is a cutting up and its not helping either side who are trying to play it on the floor.

Boateng comes on for the Stags, I make that 5 subs for them, that’s all the Mansfield cards played.

Oooooh praise indeed…. Stags’ comms saying we are the best team by far they have played this season, decent, but means nothing if we can’t see this home.

We’ve had several chances to be 3-1 here, let’s hope we don’t regret it.

Happy we are still trying to get forward, I hate it when we try to protect a lead.

Hold that thought….. Looks like we are now trying to defend, a corner comes in, Kelly flaps then 4 quick fire chances, Dons players are throwing themselves at the ball to block it.

First bad press from the home comms slagging of our 307 attendance.

On comes Can Norman for Payne, and Robson on for MJ.

Agent Boateng is booked for a cynical challenge.

Aiden Flint is now playing up front as the target man, expect an aerial attack looking for the Flint knock downs.

What a save from Pym, the Dons wriggle through the Stags defence and Gilbey is denied.

5 minutes of injury time to come, just getting comfy behind the sofa.

More praise from the Stags comms, I bet they wish they were sitting in the away end.

90 seconds to go…I can hardly watch.

Corner to Mansfield everyone is up….it’s time, what a win, I never doubted it….cough…cough.

I know I’ve mentioned the home comms all night, they were excellent and respectful, full credit to them…respect.

Their final comment….the best side Mansfield have played by a country mile.

In other news AFC drew 0-0 at home to Grimsby.

Enjoy your night.

8-) WD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:01 pm 

Plastic. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:13 pm 

We've scored more goals in the first 15 mins not conceded.

A brilliant performance and thoroughly deserved the win.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:14 pm 

Sting wrote:
We've scored more goals in the first 15 mins not conceded.

A brilliant performance and thoroughly deserved the win.

Ahhhh……that was it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:17 pm 

Like you I was impressed with their commentary team.
How we miss Dean
Him paired with Harrison with Kemp supporting we would have had

Dennis header miss was embarrassing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:23 pm 

BarryR wrote:
Him paired with Harrison with Kemp supporting we would have had

Do tell?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:24 pm 

I was just getting up for a visit to the loo when Dennis runs forward.
Torn between a full bladder and a moment of drama I called out sarcastically "Go on, score. Redeem yourself".
And the beggar did!
It's all down to me you know. :ugeek:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:30 pm 

Aliramone wrote:
I was just getting up for a visit to the loo when Dennis runs forward.
Torn between a full bladder and a moment of drama I called out sarcastically "Go on, score. Redeem yourself".
And the beggar did!
It's all down to me you know. :ugeek:

You. And your huge prostate.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:51 am 

Stephen Quinn played for us in the 05-06 season. Cant be that many more players from this time plying their trade? Apart from Lewie of course.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:01 pm