THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: afc wimbledon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:57 am 

I don't understand this "we're winning the games that matter" line. We are trying to hunt down the automatic places, and beating AFC at their place would've been huge for us for points, momentum and confidence.

Last night just goes to show when it comes to derby/rivalry games, form does generally go out of the window and it comes down to who shows up more on the day. Saturday, they showed up more - for the first time in their short history I may add.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:54 am 

All games matter, Saturday as much as last night in a points aspect. If we'd won we'd be in a much better place than we are now but we won against a closer competitor when we needed a response.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:05 pm 

Gravel Path to Martti wrote:
beating AFC at their place would've been huge for us for points, momentum and confidence.

Agree on the points bit, but you can't really say the team was missing out on momentum and confidence when they've just gone and won away at the league leaders three days later.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:21 pm 

We've always struggled away at AFC, especially at their new ground. The same way in which they always struggle at ours, albeit significantly worse. With these kind of games, form, quality of squad etc doesn't matter. We see this for all derbies/rivalries across all leagues.

As mentioned before, the difference is that for AFC, beating us at their place seems to be their main goal for the season, whereas ours is to get promoted. This is evident by us going to top of the league away and securing the 3 points with a top performance, whereas they were held by Grimsby at home.

We lost there on Saturday, but we're now 10 points clear of them. 2 points off auto's, whereas they sit in 10th, 3 points off the play offs.

It's just another game.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:24 pm 

I wish we'd start making a bigger deal out of this game and not just pretending they don't exist all the time ;)

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:16 pm 

I don't understand this "we're winning the games that matter" line. We are trying to hunt down the automatic places, and beating AFC at their place would've been huge for us for points, momentum and confidence.

Last night just goes to show when it comes to derby/rivalry games, form does generally go out of the window and it comes down to who shows up more on the day. Saturday, they showed up more - for the first time in their short history I may add.

Thing is we didn't deserve to beat them. We were a shambles from minute one. I don't mind losing, it happens (we have lost 11 of them this season) and we were 60 seconds away from getting a point that we really didn't deserve that anyone watching that game would have and should have been happy with. Gutted to lose yes, but I am gutted to lose any game we play it doesn't matter if its them lot or the other 22 teams

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:39 pm 

Russybcool wrote:

Thing is we didn't deserve to beat them. We were a shambles from minute one. I don't mind losing, it happens (we have lost 11 of them this season) and we were 60 seconds away from getting a point that we really didn't deserve that anyone watching that game would have and should have been happy with. Gutted to lose yes, but I am gutted to lose any game we play it doesn't matter if its them lot or the other 22 teams

Neither team deserved to win. It was a shocking game of football.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:14 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
Russybcool wrote:

I genuinely thought they were better than us all over the pitch. We were just disinterested and quite frankly I think we took them too lightly. They are pushing for play offs for a reason. I hate them with a passion, but I quite frankly can't be arsed to worry about it. We have much bigger fish to fry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:57 pm 

Russybcool wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
Russybcool wrote:

I genuinely thought they were better than us all over the pitch. We were just disinterested and quite frankly I think we took them too lightly. They are pushing for play offs for a reason. I hate them with a passion, but I quite frankly can't be arsed to worry about it. We have much bigger fish to fry

I don't. I thought both teams were equally poor.

They may be pushing for play offs, but they have won 3 of their last 12 league games. Without Al-Hamadi, they're a pretty dire team.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:26 pm 

It's gone now dudes.... :ugeek: