THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 8:09 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:46 pm 

PRE-VIEW FROM THE OTHER SIDE – AFC
I have to say we are really excited by this as in our last game we couldn’t get anyone from AFC to talk to us, but thanks to a former DSA Chairman Aiden Gray we have hooked up again with AFC fan Lawrence who it has to be said is extremely articulate.

Some of you might not like the terminology used. But we felt it was important to print it without anything edited, so many thanks to Lawrence and in the spirit of football we wish you all the best.

As always it’s the “Main Man” Jon asking the questions in bold type.

1. How do you assess your season so far?
I mean, could be better? But considering we're not being bankrolled by Hollywood royalty, or a Jimmy Savile lookalike record mogul, I'll take it (sure, we have an award winning author as a back-of-shorts sponsor but that's not quite the same). Given our humble origins, we're punching above our weight by being where we are in the pyramid. I'm sure nobody is complaining that a club of our pedigree is still very much a staple in the league 13 years after claiming our hard fought place, least not our own supporters.

2. Were you happy with the January transfer window?
Well, we signed some very promising young prospects, and most of our incoming business was permanent signings (which, given our aforementioned modest budget, is some feat). I think a few of our fans, admittedly including myself, are rather wistful about having sold our top scorer. But when you look at the bigger picture, it doesn't make sense to keep a player here when he could be earning Championship (or indeed Premiership) wages. Apart from anything else, those players won't want to play for you if they see you as an anchor.

3. What are your thoughts on the job Johnnie Jackson has done?
I won't pretend he's worked miracles, but given the resources he's had to work with, the work he's done is remarkable. I particularly admire the way he's managed to bring Curtis in. A lot of free agents in recovery choose to train with us but it's not often we convince them to sign on, and I think Jackson (and his support staff, most notably Mr Cope) deserve recognition for achieving that. As for the way we've played, we're controlling the game a lot more these days. Granted it doesn't always end the way we want, but it's an impressive turnaround, nonetheless.

4. What are your thoughts on the job Mike Williamson has done?
On the one hand, any team that's managed to get itself into the playoffs deserves some credit by default. On the other, you take a side who were looking like getting promoted to the Championship only two years ago, until a decisive defeat by plucky underdogs Wycombe, and then deservedly drop them down to League Two a season later, well, it's little wonder they are where they are. Especially given their stewardship. Sure, it's an enviable position, but as the Reynolds proverb goes: "Why Make History When You Can Buy It?"

5. What were your thoughts on the reverse fixture?
Well, if you want an honest answer, my thoughts that evening were probably something along the lines of "that date last night went quite well" or "I better make sure I get to work on time" or "I must remember to feed the cat." Today's geopolitical situation prevents me from using the usual metaphor, but such a fixture is one that shouldn't exist, yet does anyway. So, when it comes to the match, be it going to the Stade De Asda or watching on iFollow, I simply don't bother. I will say it was a shame to pick up two reds, but then again, League Two referees don't have an amazing track record (although I hear the linesman for Wrexham's trip to the Theatre of Empty Seats was particularly eagle eyed... (At least they get it right sometimes hey?)

6.What tactics and formation do AFC Wimbledon use ?
It tends to vary from time to time, but lately we've been using a flexible variation of the 4-3-3. A particular favourite of mine. Some of our midfielders can be defenders if needed, and our wingbacks are very capable of running forward, or indeed scoring. We seemed to play a back 5 for our last match, but I don't think it does us any favours. We're missing key defenders at the moment and trying to replace them by piling more bods into their place doesn't pay off. Too many cooks and all that.

7. Who is the “One to Watch” and who do you fear from MK?
Our "One to Watch" in my opinion isn't actually one. Curtis is a recovering League One striker who is very good on his day, Bugiel also works his magic when given the right opportunities, and Kelly is a very capable young forward. Whilst he hasn't scored just yet, I suspect it will only be a matter of time. As for the second part of the question, well, there's no-one we particularly fear in any team, least of all this one. And I think it goes without saying that most of our fans don't really pay attention to your roster. I'm not ashamed to be one of that many. The only person I could possibly identify being Lewington, purely because he's played for the so-called "club" longer than it's even existed.

8 . What's your predictions for the game and both sides come the end of the season?
Score predictions aren't really my thing, but our recent form hasn't been stellar, and the rot has to stop somewhere. Besides, we tend to play best against sides that are higher in the table. I want to say we'll steamroll through, but I think a 96th minute tap in for the win would be true poetic justice. When it comes to the season, I see us stealing playoffs towards the end, perhaps even winning them again. But as for our opposition, well, I can only give an optimistic shout-out to a member of your miniscule fan base who famously told Peter Wonkaman "this club will die in League Two." Aside from that I would have to refer to the philosophy I grew up with, if you can't say anything nice....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:20 pm 

Don't we get enough of this shite everywhere else! Do we really have to endure it on our own forum? That's an extremely poor choice posting it on here.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:34 pm 

Gers wrote:
Don't we get enough of this shite everywhere else! Do we really have to endure it on our own forum? That's an extremely poor choice posting it on here.

I did think that……then I thought ….publish as I thought you would enjoy it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:48 pm 

WellDon wrote:
Gers wrote:

I didn't. It irritated me. You can see why this forum is currently going through one of it's downturns with content like that.

Still. Each to his own I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:53 pm 

Gers wrote:
WellDon wrote:
Gers wrote:

I didn't. It irritated me. You can see why this forum is currently going through one of it's downturns with content like that.

Still. Each to his own I guess.

You got it…..scroll past.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:07 pm 

At first I (charitably) thought he was going for self-parody but it became quite clear that he wasn't.

Not the smartest tool in the shed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:39 pm 

Yeah, mix of some coherent comments, before slipping back into comatose amnesia and delusions of grandeur.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:58 pm 

Is there any real reason for this person's views on here?
Nothing we say, or the opportunities we offer to speak/debate is going to change this sort of person's mind.
The fact that we are 'reasonable/nice' by allowing such a platform for them will make no difference.
There is nothing to be gained from hearing this bloke's responses. I don't care what 'ups and downs' they feel they have had this season, or how their transfer window went, or how their manager is doing. Or anything to do with them.

I won't go down the 'why didn't you ask him why he abandoned his club?' route. I'm glad you didn't bother. These deranged individuals have their own insane warped view of the situation so it wouldn't be worth it.
I really feel we have nothing to gain from hearing their views.
I wouldn't bother next time WD!!! (Hopefully won't be 'a next time' for years)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:05 pm 

Let’s just revel in their extremely apparent and deep rooted awkwardness towards the team that used to be Wimbledon?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:09 pm 

Welldon can redeem himself by sharing this Toot's contact details. My cockage can be a right pain in the arse when he puts his mind to it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next