THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:10 pm 

Well that was a splendid day. Awesome for 30 minutes, then more measured for the last hour - still very good and could have been more, but professionally seeing out the game and saving some energy ahead of KFC.

Funniest thing of the day was naughty Dan Harvie continually winding up Evans. Normally it's Dan who loses his head but today was like something from a Lewington masterclass. He's playing well too. Nice one Daniel.

Kelly didn't have a lot to do but, as has been said elsewhere, things feel so much calmer with him between the sticks. He also seems comfortable with the playing out from the back thaang. But his kicking, on anything more than 20 yards, needs some work. But our 3rd choice keeper is making the 1st choice place his own.

On that, I think Williamson probably needs some praise. I suspect the "injury" is a way to take Marschall out of the front line without embarrassing him. And a strong thing for Mike to do, given Filip is his boy. We've had more stubborn managers who would have continued playing him regardless of the evidence of their eyes...

The back three looks good and Deano is probably slipping into a backup defender role. It had to happen at some point and there is absolutely no shame in that. And good to see form is taking priority over sentiment.

The midfield. Oh my. It's finally starting to click and it's a thing of beauty to behold. Whatever happens this season, the priority has to be to retain as much of what we have now as we can. Tomlinson and Wearne are proving to be good additions and we're finally starting to see what other clubs saw with Lionel Kempi. I was a (massive) doubting Thomas but the current style seems to really suit him. If there is any chance of making Payne, Bate and Lofthouse permanents (in that order I think) then we should grab it.

The striker role. Max must be itching to return to play in this set up. He'll have a great time. As it is, without him the attacking midfielders are now stepping up and we scored some good goals today. Harrison is a useful option. I'd like to see Tezgel get more minutes too, as I like what I have seen so far, albeit over a very limited time. He's a good size too. Dennis continues to disappoint, sadly, and I guess he'll be let go in the summer, to ply his trade at a lower level.

To return to the gaffer. Eight out of ten so far from me. The odd bizarre selection decision here and there, but he is doing a good job at implementing his style of playing. I like his calm demeanour too (though I know others prefer something more animated, like Krobbo).

Overall, I'm a Great Big Happy Old Hector (ask your grandad kids). I might even fire up the Keyser Express, as promotion seems a real possibility. :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:05 pm 

You had me going there for a minute.... I actually Googled Lionel Kempi. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:25 am 

For you to post like this you know it's bloody good

I half watched the game this morning. Left work at 2am, 4am kick off and had to get to airport at 6am. Drifted in and out but some of the football was absolutely beautiful, I'm gutted Kemps goal was disallowed - looked like the right back played him on.

Choo fucking choooo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:00 am 

Great Post. And agreed mainly. Think the Kelly kicking thing is a bit unfair though ot overly critical, had one dodgy kick but the rest was pretty on point. Reckon he held the ball about 3 times but it never occurs to me he's our third or second d choice. But, semantics.

Good to see Kempy find his form. And given the injuries you can imagine the cliche of "like a new signing" when Dean, Tucker etc etc are back will ring true.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:14 am 

I agree with most the comments too. The middle has clicked and it could be amazing. I’m loving what I saw.

Lewie is out forcibly so the sentiment point is moot.

Defensively, we were good against Newport but we’ve been poor for many games before that. Surprising given MW’s defensive pedigree. Also, we’ve yet to beat an efficient physical team on a poor pitch, so MW is yet to find a way to win in those conditions (I.e Mansfield).

So, as much as I loved the fantastic football yesterday and am excited by the direction of travel, I want to see more from MW before I start polishing his boots just yet.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:53 am 

Isn't it mental, that we've been promoted out this League I the past 5 years and we weren't that convinced. We might get promoted again and we aren't convinced again :lol:

This must be Sheff Wednesday etc when they come down to League One

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:18 am 

It’s a sliding scale of views and we all sit in different places on it, don’t we.

Where were you yesterday, Alby? You missed a cracker.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:43 am 

Pseudonym wrote:
It’s a sliding scale of views and we all sit in different places on it, don’t we.

Where were you yesterday, Alby? You missed a cracker.

Didn't he post saying he was 'tidying his kitchen'? Although - ahem - that might be a euphemism.... ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:45 am 

Haha. That was Dan.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:46 am 

keyser soze wrote:
Well that was a splendid day. Awesome for 30 minutes, then more measured for the last hour - still very good and could have been more, but professionally seeing out the game and saving some energy ahead of KFC.

Funniest thing of the day was naughty Dan Harvie continually winding up Evans. Normally it's Dan who loses his head but today was like something from a Lewington masterclass. He's playing well too. Nice one Daniel.

Kelly didn't have a lot to do but, as has been said elsewhere, things feel so much calmer with him between the sticks. He also seems comfortable with the playing out from the back thaang. But his kicking, on anything more than 20 yards, needs some work. But our 3rd choice keeper is making the 1st choice place his own.

On that, I think Williamson probably needs some praise. I suspect the "injury" is a way to take Marschall out of the front line without embarrassing him. And a strong thing for Mike to do, given Filip is his boy. We've had more stubborn managers who would have continued playing him regardless of the evidence of their eyes...

The back three looks good and Deano is probably slipping into a backup defender role. It had to happen at some point and there is absolutely no shame in that. And good to see form is taking priority over sentiment.

The midfield. Oh my. It's finally starting to click and it's a thing of beauty to behold. Whatever happens this season, the priority has to be to retain as much of what we have now as we can. Tomlinson and Wearne are proving to be good additions and we're finally starting to see what other clubs saw with Lionel Kempi. I was a (massive) doubting Thomas but the current style seems to really suit him. If there is any chance of making Payne, Bate and Lofthouse permanents (in that order I think) then we should grab it.

The striker role. Max must be itching to return to play in this set up. He'll have a great time. As it is, without him the attacking midfielders are now stepping up and we scored some good goals today. Harrison is a useful option. I'd like to see Tezgel get more minutes too, as I like what I have seen so far, albeit over a very limited time. He's a good size too. Dennis continues to disappoint, sadly, and I guess he'll be let go in the summer, to ply his trade at a lower level.

To return to the gaffer. Eight out of ten so far from me. The odd bizarre selection decision here and there, but he is doing a good job at implementing his style of playing. I like his calm demeanour too (though I know others prefer something more animated, like Krobbo).

Overall, I'm a Great Big Happy Old Hector (ask your grandad kids). I might even fire up the Keyser Express, as promotion seems a real possibility. :D

Honestly I’m a bit surprised you’ve not fired up the old girl already. Since MW has taken over we’ve taken more points than any other team in the league. Mikes Silky Whites are pretty good. CHOO CHOO.