THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:49 pm 

THE MELTDOWN – NEWPORT COUNTY
Watching Super MK….Putting on a Show, well it certainly was that as we took them apart in 30 minutes and hardly gave them a look in, and let’s not forget, going into today’s game Newport were the form side in LG 2, 5 wins out of 6 including beating Wrexham, and we made them look like a third rate outfit.

They may want to claim they have injuries, but so have we, as we know without a starting striker in 3 games.

Today in my eyes it was just about the complete display, and frankly 3-0 flattered them. What was amusing me the most was their No 7 top scoring Will Evans who on occasions was having a right old meltdown as he got well and truly schooled and you could see his frustration getting the better of him, I felt sure he wouldn’t make the full 90 mins.

I admit I was edgy before the game, but we cruised it, frankly our domination was embarrassing as our midfield took the piss, and that quartet of Gilbey, Payne, Kemp, and Bate are beautiful to watch at times as they just do not stop running for each other, always on hand to take a pass, and hunt in packs to retrieve the ball, I might be biased but they look the best in LG 2, if I was next on the agenda to play them I wouldn’t be fancying it.

While I’ve mentioned Kemp are we to take it that he is firmly back in the fold, to me it has taken a few weeks to get used to the style and the players, I think we are now tasting a bit of what Swindon fans saw and loved.

I could go on about the players, every one of them deserves praise, but I’m really pleased for Kelly with his clean sheet, he only had one decent save to make and he did it, but what I like about him is I am no longer concerned as I was with the Villa loanee, before I was petrified almost of anything within a 40 yard radius of the goal but now I am totally at peace and that clean sheet is going to do him the world of good.

So yes the complete performance from me and no complaints ….well you would think so wouldn’t you, but no I have to mention Matt Dennis again as he continues to try out for the worst striker on record award… that swing and a miss in the final five minutes from just a few yards out just summed him up, and had most people around me nearly choking to death laughing, I’m sorry folks he is terrible, probably worse, and it just reminds me how much we miss Max Dean, if I was him I would take time to reflect that MW prefers someone up front that isn’t a striker, and then work out why, honestly I would prefer to play the young lad Tezgel, at least he can hit the target and was very unlucky not to score today.

So, we march on, with a very welcome set of results in the last week and more ground gained and we inch closer to the autos and stretch the gap behind us, if we continue with this momentum who knows what could happen.

Next week we have AFC, which is an altogether different kettle of fish, the last time it really mattered at their place we struggled a bit, hopefully this time we take it to them like we did Newport.

I’ll see you with the preview on Friday, have a great week.

8-) WD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:13 pm 

Best Performance of the Season looked like we had more players on the pitch, should have been 6 or 7......Well Done Mike and Team.....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:21 pm 

Credit where it's due. I agree with all of that - don't get all happy it probably won't happen again until 2027. ;)
Poor old Dennis....I sit behind the goal. It can't have been more than 3 yards out, possibly two....ghastly but I suppose in the grand scheme of things it didn't matter. And in a way I was privileged to see the 'shot' at all since that tw*t in front of me was for once bit slow on getting up and blocking my view...