THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Williamson
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:48 am 

Some of the criticism of the team selection from last night is very unfair in my opinion.

Harvie was my MOTM. He was really good in the LCB role and I think we have finally found the successor to Lewington. Tomlinson is much better at LWB than RWB. On the left he can cut in and shoot with more ease and we saw last night what a threat that can be. Seems a no brainer to try get one of our best attacking outlets in their best position. I think Norman was selected at RWB for his defensive abilities to give us balance. Keep in mind Wrexham's best player James Mclean likes to operate off the left - I think MW put Norman their to counter that threat. That leaves the RCB role and a choice between Williams, Lewie or Stewart. It was never going to be Stewart and Williams played a lot lately and been caught out a few times.

Given that we didn't lose, Harvie was a rock, Norman made a goal preventing challenge and Tomlinson came closest to getting us a winner from LWB I think it is fair to saw MW's decisions weren't too bad.

I don't think you can criticise his sub choices. If Harrison was fit enough for a longer appearance he would have come on earlier perhaps instead of Dennis. But he isn't so what can MW do?

Post subject: Re: Williamson
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:56 am 

Pseudonym wrote:
Is anyone else like me beginning to think this guy is a bit meh? We’re so happy to see passing football that we’re overlooking an increasing number of bizarre decisions on and off the field?

From his weird line-up decisions, to weirder subs to his spineless off-field comments. It’s all adding up to average at best.

No doubt we've been fortunate with some recent results, and also that we haven't been at our best. However, the only thing that matters is results, and the results show that we are one of the top two or three in the league since he took over. Unless a manager has been brought in with the specific task of keeping us up, I'm a believer that a manager needs a summer window. January's business was interesting, for lack of a better word. We got rid of some big wages who would be leaving in the summer anyway, but we were left short in some areas. The GK situation has been poor from both Sweeting and Williamson. However, Hearne was good business as well as Lofthouse in my opinion. I think there's enough evidence to show that with a summer window we will be comfortably top 3 next season, because as I said in the other thread on this subject I think we'll finish 4th and have play off disappointment.