THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Officials
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:05 am 

Can't believe anyone thinks VAR would work in the EFL. Championship perhaps due to the facilities, but the majority of L1 and L2 stadiums are not fit for the technology etc.

Goal line technology, however, should be in place across all professional football in Europe in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:40 am 

Gravel Path to Martti wrote:
Can't believe anyone thinks VAR would work in the EFL. Championship perhaps due to the facilities, but the majority of L1 and L2 stadiums are not fit for the technology etc.

Goal line technology, however, should be in place across all professional football in Europe in my opinion.

We've got clowns running VAR in the PL so can you imagine the nonsensical decisions that will come with people not even good enough to be a clown.
No way do I want it in the EFL.
As mentioned already, VAR wouldn't have helped last night anyway. Let's just leave it how it is please.
As bad as yesterday was, it added to the entertainment value of the game and got the crowd going.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:46 am 

Can we please just be clear. Hawkeye and VAR are not the same thing. Hawkeye is cheaper and easier to set up and quicker to use and is specifically for line calls (as in tennis). VAR is a lot more wide ranging but suffers from needing human intervention and decision making, hence it descending into a clown show.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:33 am 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
Ignoring the red herring that is VAR; is the fact that the match being filmed by Wrexham, on Amazon I understand, having an affect on offical's decisions? I believe the camera was near to that post and Mike Williamson mentioned other bad decisions given for Wrexham. Perhaps it was easier for the Officials not to give the goal and has the EFL put undue pressure on officials to go easy on Wrexham on rhe understanding that the games are being watched in USA?

I can't imagine any scenario in which the EFL puts pressure on officials due to people watching in the USA.

I can however see refs feeling more under pressure during games due to the significant coverage and attention. But I think we've probably seen that during many Premier League or Champions League games over decades, matches at Old Trafford during the Fergie era, any game on Sky television, derby days and whatever else. I really don't believe there is a scenario in which refs or the EFL are favouring teams due to added media coverage, but I can see a subconscious impact on decision making during any game with added attention. Last night felt like a pure stupid error, nothing else. Kinda funny because I'm fairly sure we won the corner from a great decision by the lino who spotted their man run it marginally off the pitch.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:45 am 

keyser soze wrote:
Can we please just be clear. Hawkeye and VAR are not the same thing. Hawkeye is cheaper and easier to set up and quicker to use and is specifically for line calls (as in tennis). VAR is a lot more wide ranging but suffers from needing human intervention and decision making, hence it descending into a clown show.

Yep.
Line calls are much easier for technology to assess, and far less subjective. Using something like Hawkeye could definitely work in the lower levels as well as the higher ones. Whereas VAR, even at the higher levels, descends into 'a clown show' because of the sheer number of subjective laws in Football that will always leave it needing human intervention and interpretation and leaves it open to many different conclusions being formed for most decisions.
So Hawkeye should clear up most line decisions conclusively. VAR used for other decisions was always just going to create fresh angles to debate the same subjective and confusing laws.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:14 pm 

I am sure modern technology could easily come up with a small WiFi, battery operated camera that could sit in the angle of the post and crossbar looking down along the goal line. Would be cheap as chips.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:17 pm 

Gravel Path to Martti wrote:

Yeah, VAR not a chance and I wouldn’t want it too either. As you say GLT should be implemented across all professional leagues, cannot believe it isn’t.

Its relatively basic technology now and has been used in the top flight for almost 10 years.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:50 pm 

donmentor wrote:
I am sure modern technology could easily come up with a small WiFi, battery operated camera that could sit in the angle of the post and crossbar looking down along the goal line. Would be cheap as chips.

You mean Hawkeye? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:17 pm 

All it needed last night, was the lino to do his fucking job right and inform the ref the ball had crossed the line, it didn’t need VAR, Hawkeye or anything other than a man doing a job correctly that he’s paid to do.

Not that difficult when the keeper is laying down pushing the ball into the side of the net

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:31 pm 

Hawkeye is not complicated technology. The more I reflect on last night, the more baffled I am as to why we don't have it just because we're a League Two side. Football is a game of tiny margins. An entire season can be decided by millimetres. That moment last night could be the difference between going up or not.

Surely with the amount of money in the game there is nowadays, we can afford Hawkeye in all EFL stadiums. It's the exact same technology which is used in tennis, and is now implemented in pretty much every tennis tournament around the world. It's not just saved for the Grand Slams or big tournaments, it's virtually in every competition. If they can afford it in tennis, there's no reason football shouldn't be able to cough up the money for it.

I normally don't get too wound up when a refereeing decision goes against us. Refs are humans, and we've all come to expect some pretty crap refs in the lower leagues. But last night was tough to take, because it was a factual decision. The ball DID cross the line. It should have been a goal. Nothing subjective about it. We got one point when we should have had three. We shouldn't be getting these things wrong in 2024.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next