THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Williamson
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:53 pm 

Gravel Path to Martti wrote:
I liken MW to Russ. Russ is extremely stubborn in the style he wants to play and will not budge on that, and for it to reap its rewards it takes time. I seem to remember we couldn't buy a result in the early days of him managing us, then towards the end it started to click and it earnt him a move to a bigger and better club. Same story at Swansea. Slow start and frustrations grew but towards the end they were getting results and they improved from when he first took over. Same again now at Southampton. I have family who are Saints supporters and they wanted him gone after 10 games, fast forward to now and they've just lost their first game in 25.

We will come good under MW. We are a recently relegated team in L2 with a mix of League 1, League 2, and non-league level players. He has had one January window, where I think expectations for business made were too high from supporters, give him time and a summer window.

He has clearly and significantly improved us since taking over. Football fans have short memories, perhaps some need reminding of what things were like under GA.

Yes, we've been fortunate with some recent results. However let's not sit here and pretend like MW is clueless and doesn't know what he's doing. My prediction is we'll have play off disappointment in the semi finals this season, and with a full summer window we will get top 3 next year.

A gentle reminder to some more pessimistic fans. We are a League 2 team, you cannot expect flawless positive consistency. Every team in this league has the potential to lose 4-0 to a shit team on a Tuesday night, as I said, this is League 2.

I liken him to Russ as well - he'll jump at the first offer that comes in.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:29 pm 

Williamson is a very good manager. I like him a lot. He is a bit posh around the edges and that suits our club. We don’t suit grizzled northerners like Graham Alexander. I want my managers to read Proust and go on holiday to Tuscany. Scott twine was so good here for the same reason, frankly Hull isn’t the same and so his form isn’t the same.

I have no doubt he will succeed here and also no doubt that he will be nicked by a bigger club. He will go on to manage Monaco eventually, or at a push Fulham.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:38 pm 

Zen wrote:
Williamson is a very good manager. I like him a lot. He is a bit posh around the edges and that suits our club. We don’t suit grizzled northerners like Graham Alexander. I want my managers to read Proust and go on holiday to Tuscany. Scott twine was so good here for the same reason, frankly Hull isn’t the same and so his form isn’t the same.

I have no doubt he will succeed here and also no doubt that he will be nicked by a bigger club. He will go on to manage Monaco eventually, or at a push Fulham.

:lol: Perfect.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:39 pm 

CleanDon wrote:
Gravel Path to Martti wrote:
I liken MW to Russ. Russ is extremely stubborn in the style he wants to play and will not budge on that, and for it to reap its rewards it takes time. I seem to remember we couldn't buy a result in the early days of him managing us, then towards the end it started to click and it earnt him a move to a bigger and better club. Same story at Swansea. Slow start and frustrations grew but towards the end they were getting results and they improved from when he first took over. Same again now at Southampton. I have family who are Saints supporters and they wanted him gone after 10 games, fast forward to now and they've just lost their first game in 25.

We will come good under MW. We are a recently relegated team in L2 with a mix of League 1, League 2, and non-league level players. He has had one January window, where I think expectations for business made were too high from supporters, give him time and a summer window.

He has clearly and significantly improved us since taking over. Football fans have short memories, perhaps some need reminding of what things were like under GA.

Yes, we've been fortunate with some recent results. However let's not sit here and pretend like MW is clueless and doesn't know what he's doing. My prediction is we'll have play off disappointment in the semi finals this season, and with a full summer window we will get top 3 next year.

A gentle reminder to some more pessimistic fans. We are a League 2 team, you cannot expect flawless positive consistency. Every team in this league has the potential to lose 4-0 to a shit team on a Tuesday night, as I said, this is League 2.

I liken him to Russ as well - he'll jump at the first offer that comes in.

You must be a lot of fun at parties. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:02 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
Zen wrote:

I thought so too, and it does contain more than an ounce of truth. It’s us, who we are. Embrace it.

As an aside, my proudest day in a fair few years following this club was the Cowshed barracking GA with a chorus of “your football is s***t”. Most fans just go with “sort it out!” but that attitude has come at a cost though as I’d say a fair few of the non-renewals of ST’s over the last couple of seasons are from the demographic that “can’t stand that fannying about at the back nonsense”. Years of “well you might call it attractive but I can’t stand it” football has worn them down to the point of no return. Most, though not all, of the young’uns seem to get it. We’re now mature enough as a club where certain criteria need to be met as to how the team plays. That’s a good thing for probably 34 games a season. There’s always going to be a “Bradford” result every now and again. The positives far outweigh the negatives for me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:40 pm 

Camdenite wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
Zen wrote:

I thought so too, and it does contain more than an ounce of truth. It’s us, who we are. Embrace it.

As an aside, my proudest day in a fair few years following this club was the Cowshed barracking GA with a chorus of “your football is s***t”. Most fans just go with “sort it out!” but that attitude has come at a cost though as I’d say a fair few of the non-renewals of ST’s over the last couple of seasons are from the demographic that “can’t stand that fannying about at the back nonsense”. Years of “well you might call it attractive but I can’t stand it” football has worn them down to the point of no return. Most, though not all, of the young’uns seem to get it. We’re now mature enough as a club where certain criteria need to be met as to how the team plays. That’s a good thing for probably 34 games a season. There’s always going to be a “Bradford” result every now and again. The positives far outweigh the negatives for me.

We should fully embrace it and replace hot dogs with artisan charcuterie boards and lager with yuzu flavoured craft IPA. The stewards have already been replaced by plant-based alternatives.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:42 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
We should fully embrace it and replace hot dogs with artisan charcuterie boards and lager with yuzu flavoured craft IPA. The stewards have already been replaced by plant-based alternatives.

Remember the day an opposition player scored in front of the Cowshed and got dozens of free brioches thrown at him? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:45 pm 

Zen wrote:

I know Coventry is higher up the country than Milton Keynes but to call him a northener is a push. I was born in Coventry and I do not own a whippet and eat barm cakes.

Last edited by Russybcool on Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:49 pm 

Russybcool wrote:
Zen wrote:

I know Coventry is higher up the country than Milton Keynes but to call him a northener is a push. I am born in Coventry and I do not own a whippet and eat barm cakes.

Do you keep coal in your bath?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:36 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
Camdenite wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
Zen wrote:

Vegan Stew-ards?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next