THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:58 pm 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
For me our midfield is best in the league and easily good enough for League 1. Also Joe Tomlinson is good enough for League 1, while Lofthouse showed promise. Max Dean is a top striker, while Harrison is OK for League 2 and I don't know enough about Emre Tezgel to make a decision.Kemp has been discussed on another thread.

So the missing link must be defence. Marshall is on a steep learning curve and I have more confidence in Norman and Harvie, who can also play wingback as well as Wearne. MJ made some good runs Saturday, but his passing was woeful and I fear the fire in Lewie is dying out, in that he knows his playing time is drawing to a close.

It will also take a bit more time to gel.

On the defence, at 1-1 Accy almost caught us on the break, just how Barrow and Morecambe did (albeit a mistake from us). It took an extremely important block from Williams to prevent a breakway.

I've noticed that when we're pushing forward, we sometimes get a bit too keen and put too many men forward, exposing our 2 center halves (the RCB or LCB is forward depending where we are attacking). We really need to remain disciplined and not get too desperate.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:05 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:
For me our midfield is best in the league and easily good enough for League 1. Also Joe Tomlinson is good enough for League 1, while Lofthouse showed promise. Max Dean is a top striker, while Harrison is OK for League 2 and I don't know enough about Emre Tezgel to make a decision.Kemp has been discussed on another thread.

So the missing link must be defence. Marshall is on a steep learning curve and I have more confidence in Norman and Harvie, who can also play wingback as well as Wearne. MJ made some good runs Saturday, but his passing was woeful and I fear the fire in Lewie is dying out, in that he knows his playing time is drawing to a close.

On the defence, at 1-1 Accy almost caught us on the break, just how Barrow and Morecambe did (albeit a mistake from us). It took an extremely important block from Williams to prevent a breakway.

I've noticed that when we're pushing forward, we sometimes get a bit too keen and put too many men forward, exposing our 2 center halves (the RCB or LCB is forward depending where we are attacking). We really need to remain disciplined and not get too desperate.

I agree that Williams does more in defence than some take credit for. On the minus side he's also guilty of slowing down the ball when he could be feeding the ball to his wingback.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:07 pm 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:

I agree that Williams does more in defence than some take credit for. On the minus side he's also guilty of slowing down the ball when he could be feeding the ball to his wingback.

His pace is also a bit of an issue. Barrow don't score if that's Tucker playing RCB.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:25 am 

I sense in this thread people are maybe expecting too much too soon, MW hasn't been here long in the grand scheme of things, he has turned a struggling (albeit decent) League Two squad into an effective team which is as effective at winning points as anyone in the league. No team wins with great performance after great performance they just win regularly and overcome teams when they get in difficulty and we show good signs of this.

Look at the other teams in our league is anyone banging in goals regularly and putting teams to the sword? Man City are the best team in the country but haven't beaten a team in the league by 3 goals since Bournemouth on Nov 4th, made all the more surprising by the fact they have played 5 of the bottom 6 in that time inc Everton twice