The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Skip
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:24 am 

Warwickdons wrote:
Russybcool wrote:
Warwickdons wrote:
Personally I think it's time for Lewie to be left out of the starting xi,Harvie left sided cb, with Tomlinson and Lofthouse wing backs, O'Hora, Tucker or Williams to partner Harvie. Legend yes, but too many basic errors now, actually causing problems. Probably be an unpopular post, needed in my opinion.
More of a concern though is up top, especially if Harrison is injured, I'd take 7th now if offered.

Why not play Stewart. He doesn't seem to be doing much. ;)

Who's Stewart btw??

Some guy I heard a rumour about that can play Centre Back who apparently plays for some club called Milton Keynes Dons. Don't know if this is true. He was last seen on the same Bermudan island as Darragh Burns. It was just when the rescue ship came to pick Burns up they forgot all about Stewart.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:46 am 

Magpie wrote:
I think as a fan base, well a good percentage of the fan base, are going to have to start to get used to the fact that the man is going to be 40 this year, the middle age thickening isnt going to get much better anytime soon and hes just come back from probably one of the worst or at least longest term injuries of his career.

The fact hes still playing at the level he is, is a miracle but his levels are dropping and arent going to suddenly improve. His form is currently not too good and that might equalise but his legs aren't suddenly going to get younger and do what he wants whatever his brain wants them to do. It comes to every player eventually. There are outliers like Ronaldo but hes a physical specimen, Lewington, errrr....... isnt.

The "age catching up with him thing" has been spoken for ten years minimum. Promoted to the Championship, won't be able to handle the pace etc and he was arguably our best player.
Relegated to L2 after being dropped by Neilson, legs are gone, spent too long out, clearly doesn't have it any more.
Promoted out of L2 - might need to become a squad player, couldn't handle it last time.

2 years and a player of the season award later he is a playoff semi-finalist in L1 having had a superb season at left centre half.

Granted he's older and he's had injuries but up until the start of Jan I'd argue he's looked no different to how he performed and looked 10 years ago. He's had a rough few games and that happens to everyone. He'll be fine. I don't disagree we need to manage his game time and keep him fit. But he's generally doing okay

Lewington doesn't care for sentiment. Doesn't care for records and doesn't really care for pointless longevity. If he realises tomorrow against Accy that his legs are gone and his mind has been on that for a few months, he'll retire at full time. He won't prolong it to the end of the season. He said in a Sky Sports interview in December that he feels great and I believe him.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

Last edited by Alby39 on Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:01 am 

Alby39 wrote:
Magpie wrote:
I think as a fan base, well a good percentage of the fan base, are going to have to start to get used to the fact that the man is going to be 40 this year, the middle age thickening isnt going to get much better anytime soon and hes just come back from probably one of the worst or at least longest term injuries of his career.

The fact hes still playing at the level he is, is a miracle but his levels are dropping and arent going to suddenly improve. His form is currently not too good and that might equalise but his legs aren't suddenly going to get younger and do what he wants whatever his brain wants them to do. It comes to every player eventually. There are outliers like Ronaldo but hes a physical specimen, Lewington, errrr....... isnt.

The "age catching up with him thing" has been spoken for ten years minimum. Promoted to the Championship, won't be able to handle the pace etc and he was arguably our best player.
Relegated to L2 after being dropped by Neilson, legs are gone, spent too long out, clearly doesn't have it any more.
Promoted out of L2 - might need to become a squad player, couldn't handle it last time.

2 years and a player of the season award later he is a playoff semi-finalist in L1 having had a superb season at left centre half.

Granted he's older and he's had injuries but since the start of Jan I'd argue he's looked no different to how he performed and looked 10 years ago. He's had a rough few games and that happens to everyone. He'll be fine. I don't disagree we need to manage his game time and keep him fit. But he's generally doing okay.

Lewington doesn't care for sentiment. Doesn't care for records and doesn't really care for pointless longevity. If he realises tomorrow against Accy that his legs are gone and his mind has been on that for a few months, he'll retire at full time. He won't prolong it to the end of the season. He said in a Sky Sports interview in December that he feels great and I believe him.

At some point, all of those things you say havent happened, will happen. I suspect its just a slight drop in form currently but also it could be something a little more fundamental.

I remember seeing Gary Neville talking about it. Still being picked at united, playing champions league but knowing he couldnt quite hit the levels any more. Still a good solid player but unable to get where he once could.

I agree about Lewington not giving a shit about sentiment or anything else like that and am pretty sure he will call time on himself when he feels the time is right and not just be phased out by whatever manager is at the helm at that time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:26 am 

The Gary Neville thing sprung to mind too, but he also said he made his mind up that day and knew it was his last game. Lewie would do the same.

I don't think anyone's deluding themselves that he is nearly 40 and that poses questions, but he wouldn't be the first player to go past that mark and had their game time managed better still able to perform at some kind of peak.
Totti, Giggs, Pizarro, Maldini, Sheringham.. I get the "they're some of the best ever" thing but that's absolutely irrelevant, Lewington is one of the most consistent performers at the level he's played for 20 years so that's the balanced argument there. He'll be fine for as long as he wants to play.

As for right now, I agree he needs to sit a few games out from the start.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:44 am 

Alby39 wrote:
The Gary Neville thing sprung to mind too, but he also said he made his mind up that day and knew it was his last game. Lewie would do the same.

I don't think anyone's deluding themselves that he is nearly 40 and that poses questions, but he wouldn't be the first player to go past that mark and had their game time managed better still able to perform at some kind of peak.
Totti, Giggs, Pizarro, Maldini, Sheringham.. I get the "they're some of the best ever" thing but that's absolutely irrelevant, Lewington is one of the most consistent performers at the level he's played for 20 years so that's the balanced argument there. He'll be fine for as long as he wants to play.

As for right now, I agree he needs to sit a few games out from the start.

I think the main difference between Lewington and those others guys you mentioned isnt ability, its all relative to the level you play at right. I think its the physical condition. All of those other players were able or disposed to maintain a level of physical conditioning. Lewie might very well be as aerobically fit as he ever has been but his body shape is getting more like mine every week and he cant do a great deal about that Im afraid.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:52 am 

Well he can because he's been considered a lump for a lot of his later years, and come back in pre season looking slim and refined..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:06 am 

Alby39 wrote:
Well he can because he's been considered a lump for a lot of his later years, and come back in pre season looking slim and refined..

Its not fat (in my case it is but probably not so much a pro footballer). Its a kind of thickening where you are somehow bigger than you was but without being 'soft'.

Im not explaining it very well but most blokes around 40 will understand.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:56 pm 

Magpie wrote:

Ah but Ronaldo would have fled in tears at that afc game away when one of the 'true faithful' went over the barrier and advanced towards Lewie who simply stared him down.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:46 pm 

If Lewington wants to play for another five years then so be it, he can do what he want. He should have naming rights over the whole stadium. What he has done for us as a club is nothing short of Football Legend. Here's to another 5 years, Dean.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:49 pm 

Magpie wrote:
Alby39 wrote:

Its not fat (in my case it is but probably not so much a pro footballer). Its a kind of thickening where you are somehow bigger than you was but without being 'soft'.

Im not explaining it very well but most blokes around 40 will understand.

Lewie does have the spread of an older bloke now but he is still fit. The issue is he's made some mistakes - if he sits out the next couple and gets back fit he will be good for the AFC game.

He will definitely call it a day when he knows he can't do it any more.