THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Can you help?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:59 pm 

Hi, 

I'm currently a student journalist at the University of Leeds. For my final project, I am filming a documentary about the relationship between MK Dons and AFC Wimbledon over the years and if it has changed, and was wondering if you would be able to give me a view from the Club and possibly some fans or other interested parties?

I’ve spoken to Sphere and he suggested posting it in this chat as a few of you may be interested in speaking to me.

I'm hoping to secure online interviews on Teams from both clubs prior to the game on the 2nd of March.

The documentary is confidential and will only be viewed by myself and my tutor who will be making my work. 

If you would be able to help and to speak to me that would be greatly appreciated. 

The questions I am hoping to answer are:

1. As a fan, how do you feel about AFC Wimbledon?
2. What are your thoughts on the upcoming game?
3. Are you attending the match?
4. Do you see what happened Wimbledon FC that led up to MK Dons creation happening again? Why?
5. If you had to describe your feelings towards the rivalry in one word, what would it be?
6. How long have you been an MK Dons fan?
7. What age are you?

Many thanks,
Millie Evans

Post subject: Re: Can you help?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:17 pm 

1. I think they are an embittered protest movement masquerading as a fan-owned football club. They clearly have one version of events which absolves them of any responsibility at all - overlooking the demise of attendances at Selhurst Park, setting up AFC and abandoning Wimbledon FC long before the move, and then making another local club homeless. I have to admit, prior to following MK Dons, I had only heard the AFC side really - it was the dominant narrative in the media etc.

2. You mean the game just gone?? I wish we didn't have to play them, I wish we were still in the league above them. But so be it.

3. Yes I attended the game at Stadium MK last week.

4. I think it could happen again, as more and more clubs struggle and close. But more likely to be mergers perhaps. Although Dublin might still want a club!

5. Meh

6. About 7 years, since my son was old enough to attend games.

7. 43

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:46 pm 

studentjournalist wrote:
Hi, 

The questions I am hoping to answer are:

1. As a fan, how do you feel about AFC Wimbledon?

They have some very childish elements to the club e.g. their iFollow commentary was a joke recently
They are no real threat as they are financially limited and likely always will be

2. What are your thoughts on the upcoming game?

At Thier place I assume? I think we'll be favourites and I'll be watching on tv

3. Are you attending the match?

They have a nasty violent element to thier fanbase so no....too much risk of being assaulted then blamed bybthe police fir starting it.

4. Do you see what happened Wimbledon FC that led up to MK Dons creation happening again? Why?

If a team is facing extinction because it's fans have abandoned their club then why not.

5. If you had to describe your feelings towards the rivalry in one word, what would it be?

Meh

Not much of a rivalry. We are a bigger club and usually beat them because the occasion oversees them and they get too consumed with hatred. It's sad to see

6. How long have you been an MK Dons fan?

Casual fan since I moved here in my 20s....last few years more so as I now take my kids regularly who are fans

7. What age are you?

Many thanks,
Millie Evans

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:01 pm 

studentjournalist wrote:

1. As a fan, how do you feel about AFC Wimbledon? Same as any other club.
2. What are your thoughts on the upcoming game? ditto
3. Are you attending the match? probably
4. Do you see what happened Wimbledon FC that led up to MK Dons creation happening again? Why? No. FA rules are clearer and nobody wants random abuse
5. If you had to describe your feelings towards the rivalry in one word, what would it be? Futile
6. How long have you been an MK Dons fan? 20+ years
7. What age are you? 69 (wtf how did that happen?)

Many thanks,
Millie Evans

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:05 pm 

Drop me a private message and we'll chat.

As long as it doesn't go up on YouTube or anything I may be interested coming on and helping out for a uni project but I don't want my face going viral :lol:

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:56 am 

1. Ambivalence. They are just another team, currently in the same division as my team. I think about or care about what they do or don’t do exactly the same as I care about any other team, which is practically zero.

2. I think it’s a tricky game but that we should be expecting a good result. The recent history and current form would suggest a win is likely

3. I had planned to but the early kick off has made things a bit more tricky due to other commitments. I’d say it’s 50/50 likely. My son is travelling down from his uni so would be good to go if I can.

4. In truth no. The amount of circumstances that had to align for it to happen before would be very unlikely to be able to be created again and I believe the FA have no desire for it either. I believe they would rather let a club go bust now and deal with that fall out.

5. Ambivalence

6. 19 years

7. 49

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:51 am 

Same as Alby. If you want to drop me a private message I am happy to give you my views either by email or face to face on WhatsApp.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:54 am 

Alby39 wrote:
Drop me a private message and we'll chat.

As long as it doesn't go up on YouTube or anything I may be interested coming on and helping out for a uni project but I don't want my face going viral :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:02 pm 

studentjournalist wrote:
1. As a fan, how do you feel about AFC Wimbledon? Not bothered about them in the slightest. They're a bunch of people I've never met who live a long way away, who don't approve of the football team I support. It's their problem, not mine.

2. What are your thoughts on the upcoming game? Should be quite competitive on the pitch. Meanwhile, lots of Poundland Danny Dyers (on both sides) get all excited off it and ultimately do very little other than swearing and waving at each other, and giving it the big'un on social media.

3. Are you attending the match? No. I have no interest in doing AFC Wimbledon away at any point. Not because of any boycott, but because I can't be arsed with all the aggro and negativity that comes with it. It's not what I go to football for. I may visit the ground for a rugby league game later this year, though.

4. Do you see what happened Wimbledon FC that led up to MK Dons creation happening again? Why? Not in those specific circumstances (in terms of a club being moved for financial survival), no. Can I see a PL club or similar being at least partially moved to the US or the Middle East at some point? Absolutely.

5. If you had to describe your feelings towards the rivalry in one word, what would it be? Meh.

6. How long have you been an MK Dons fan? For as long as they've been here. I went to the first Wimbledon game in MK in 2003, and the first game as MK Dons in 2004. Although I'm not as engaged with the club, or with football in general, as I used to be.

7. What age are you? I am thirty-five socially inadequate years old.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:25 pm 

Thank you so much to everyone that has replied, you’ve been very helpful!
I really appreciate it,
Millie