THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Liam Sweeting
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:37 am 

So as the dust settles on another transfer window I wondered what the opinions are on Liam, personally I have been happy with his time at the club and was never in the Sweeting out camp, my feelings are transfers are unpredictable and we never quite know who is the advocate for each transfer anyway. I look in a nuts and bolts way and have seen someone who is competent at getting people in and out of the club in a pretty efficient way with most deals looking like the represent reasonable value for the club.
I think this window has further strengthened my opinion, as he would on face value appear to have brought in players the manager wants and move out ones he doesn't, the value gained in getting wages off the books and loan fees will surely improve the financial position of the club and we look well set for the summer window whichever level we are playing at next season.
Finally a nod to the fact we don't seem to leave our business until the last minute anymore, leave that to the Barnsley's of the world who end up loaning a bit part player from League Two to help with a League One promotion push!

Post subject: Re: Liam Sweeting
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:48 am 

Imo he must have been behind the signing of our best two players, Joe Tomlinson and Jack Payne (albeit on loan), so more power to him.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:57 am 

Think overall Sweeting has been pretty successful for us. Even last year, I think we signed a number of decent players but the overall squad wasn’t strong enough.

As you say, we got our business done early and didn’t need to have a last minute rush on deadline day.

We’ve also become pretty resilient to offers for our players too and only seem to sell when it’s right for us. Jerome and Dean an example of that.

It’s a shame he received abuse from a few and no longer does interviews, as I always found them pretty insightful. Hopefully they can return at some point.

Last edited by East Wing Don on Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:58 am 

We all make mistakes. If I make a mistake at work someone is cold. If he makes a mistake at work a football club gets relegated and people are made redundant.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:52 am 

Didn't he want himself to go last year? :?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:04 am 

Agree about Sweeting seeming to have done a pretty solid job and thinks looking like they're ticking over quite nicely at the moment.

Though I don't think the last paragraph dig at Barnsley is necessary - considering we're the league two club in the scenario, and they're still the ones in a league one promotion battle! I'd much rather be in their position of battling for promotion to the championship, and just have to make a late rushed signing, rather than be down in league two but just get our late loan in a few hours earlier!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:02 pm 

Some pretty interesting decisions in January…

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:03 pm 

CleanDon wrote:

Only time will tell if they were good ones or not.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:04 pm 

DonnieAndMooie wrote:
CleanDon wrote:

Agree, but the keeper was a bad one

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:07 pm 

CleanDon wrote:
DonnieAndMooie wrote:
CleanDon wrote:

Agree, but the keeper was a bad one

Yep, it looks that way. Although I didn't see the game this afternoon, it's clear he's still got a lot to learn. I can only hope he learns quickly.