THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Wearn and Bate
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:53 pm 

Both look like some players but Wearn in particular looks a class act. Would really like to see Wearn starting, either in attacking midfield or right wing. Reminds me of a mix of Parrot and Watters in ability and style.

Post subject: Re: Wearn and Bate
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:58 pm 

Wearne looked brilliant when he came on. Completely changed the game. I suspect he'll be a starter once he's fully fit.

It's very obvious that Bate is talented and has a good passing range, but I felt that him and Payne were too similar to play next to each other today. We missed Robson's physicality to do the dirty work and get control of the midfield battle. He's clearly a good player but there's a balance we need to strike.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:58 pm 

Pseudonym wrote:
Both look like some players but Wearn in particular looks a class act. Would really like to see Wearn starting, either in attacking midfield or right wing. Reminds me of a mix of Parrot and Watters in ability and style.

Yeah looked very comfortable on the ball. Definitely the right decision bringing him on for Kemp, as Kemp had started losing it every time he saw the ball.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:00 pm 

DonnieAndMooie wrote:
Wearne looked brilliant when he came on. Completely changed the game. I suspect he'll be a starter once he's fully fit.

It's very obvious that Bate is talented and has a good passing range, but I felt that him and Payne were too similar to play next to each other today. We missed Robson's physicality to do the dirty work and get control of the midfield battle. He's clearly a good player but there's a balance we need to strike.

100% agree on this. Bate looked good but it just doesn’t work quite right alongside Payne. I was relieved the see Robson come on to give us a bit more stability.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:01 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
DonnieAndMooie wrote:

100% agree on this. Bate looked good but it just doesn’t work quite right alongside Payne. I was relieved the see Robson come on to give us a bit more stability.

Bate will be Payne's replacement in the summer I feel. I doubt we'll be able to afford Payne or he'll go elsewhere

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:02 pm 

AB4 wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
DonnieAndMooie wrote:

Bate will be Payne's replacement in the summer I feel. I doubt we'll be able to afford Payne or he'll go elsewhere

Think there is more chance of Payne staying in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:07 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
AB4 wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
DonnieAndMooie wrote:

Think there is more chance of Payne staying in my opinion.

I'd love you to be right as Payne is quality. We've been here many times before where we've taken the cheaper option so maybe I'm cynical

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:41 pm 

I'd like to think Payne will stay if we do go up; he's clearly found some great form here and tbh he is a super player. It's not often you find a technically competent player with such a good engine in this league and he should be playing a league above.

If we don't go up I expect us to lose him.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:18 pm 

Wearne was great when he came on, should be some player when fully fit, Bate is neat and tidy, but him and Payne together doesn’t really do it for me, needs a Robson type player in there with one of them, preferably Payne, who really is a good footballer with a good football brain, need to go all out to get him on a permanent at the end of the season

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:39 pm 

I never thought I'd say this but I feel Payne is much less effective without Robson next to him but Bate looked alright today. Bate showed glimpses, his little drop of the shoulder and drive was superb. I'm hoping with no game midweek he can work on his relationship with Marschall because if he has that confidence and burst of pace in his locked that could be wonderful for breaking teams down.

Wearn was superb for Gilbey's goal, hopefully more to come from him