THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: THE MELTDOWN – AFC
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:31 am 

THE MELTDOWN – AFC
What a shit awful night ………for AFC fans, getting soaking wet walking from Bletchley station and then having to watch their team humiliated, and then walking back in the rain, I can only hope the train got heavily delayed around Watford Junction to compound their misery.

As for the game I was nervous pre-kick off, but I did feel slightly comforted that the skipper was back in the starting line-up.

I should probably about now praise the home support, it was superb, and a lot of praise should go to the Dons Action lads for promoting the backside off the game, it’s a great shame that those that should be pushing it are very quiet.

The noise began in the warm up and hardly lessened all game with the relentless beat of the drum, and I have to mention the several renditions of “ If you don’t f**king bounce”, the sight of the Cowshed as one was very special.

My only question when observing / bouncing was, where are you lot every week, I can only hope the bug bit a few and they will return on Saturday….but I doubt it.

As for the game, well I think any nerves anyone had quickly disappeared as we started very much on the front foot and exchanged quick passes that you could see was frustrating AFC players from the very start and when Tommo turned the pedestrian Biler inside out and fired it across the 6 yard box for Kempy to tap home it was the signal to get the party started.

Max Dean is a horrible little bastard and I mean that in a nice way, he must be a bloody nightmare to play against as he buzzes around you like some sort of demented bumble bee that you just can’t swat away and 6 minutes after the Kemp goal Ryan Johnson managed to scoop the ball over his keeper’s head as Dean panicked him into the mistake, wouldn’t it be funny to make this the January Goal of the Month.

A further 6 minutes in and it was 3-0, a freekick won by Dean was pushed out to Robson who found an unmarked O’Hora to head home. At the time it looked really weird from where I was standing as it felt like their keeper would get a hand on it as he dived almost in slow-motion, but the angle and pace of the header just seemed to accelerate it off the turf and away from his despairing dive.

Just before the break AFC should have pulled one back when Sasu left Lofty and Williams in his wake, he pulled the ball across the 6 yard box past the advancing Marschall, Lewie missed a clearance, and Tilley on the back post managed to hit it high into the Cowshed much to everyone’s relief and amusement from 6 yards out.

Knowing how lacklustre we have been in second half of late it was worrying to see AFC score early in the second half following a bloody awful kick out from our newbie keeper, and he has to learn sometimes its best to put it into Row Z rather than put a defender in bother like that, I understand what he was trying to do…but sometimes you just don’t.

Thankfully the onslaught never really materialised which was a good thing as our keeper looked to have taken up residence on the goaline and would not be budged, but in honesty he never had much to deal with….thankfully.

25 minutes from time AFC were down to 10 men, a hopeful punt up field was misjudged by Biler leaving Dean racing in on goal and he just hauled him down and as the last man he had to walk to a superb chorus of “Cheerio”. Less than 10 minutes later, 10 became 9 as frequent train traveller Kalambayi succumbed to Max Dean harassing him following a long ball by O’Hora with the same result and once again “Cheerio” echoed around Stadium MK.

I have to commend Mr Singh, he had a job to do and never bottled it, personally I’d like to think he really hates AFC as much as we do, and hopefully he includes in his report the foul and abusive language dished out by the train w**ker as he trudged off.

The remainder of the game was all about running the clock down although we did create one or two chances, and it would have been really nice to see them suffer more, but it wasn’t to be.

MOTM Max Dean led the fist pumping at the end, and it was great to see so many had hung around to acknowledge the players.

After the game it emerged that MW due to a close family bereavement was not at the game, and our thoughts and prayers are of course with him and his family, that one was for you Gaffer.

I thought I would have a mooch around WUP before turning in, seems they were upset about Dean celebrating the red cards. One or two suggesting AFC appeal the red cards, but in my eyes that might be deemed frivolous, and the suspensions increased, there looked to be enough to be called reds, and I cannot see them being overturned…hopefully they appeal. Also a few challenging their attitude towards us and is it harming their ability to turn us over. But the funniest one was the guy who said he would listen to our commentary because the AFC one was bloody ridiculous as they don’t mention us all game.

And finally, the standard “It doesn’t count because they don’t exist”, well we do, and it does count, and it must hurt like hell.

That’s it, wallow in victory, bathe in the tears of AFC fans and I’ll see you on Friday with the Gillingham preview.

Have a good week.

8-) WD

Post subject: Re: THE MELTDOWN – AFC
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:46 am 

Nice write-up.

I had a lurk on Wup too. There are some on there arguing to reduce/drop the animosity against us. Even some of those I remember used to be most vociferous. What is the world coming to?!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:31 pm 

Acceptable. ;)

I had exactly the same thought about the trains home.
A junior Ramone was all set to head off back to London but he could see that the trains were pretty disrupted and the ones that were running were the 'stopping' ones so he decided to stay up here. Ooh I do hope there was a signal failure or a tree on the track or something. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:58 pm 

Pseudonym wrote:
Nice write-up.

I had a lurk on Wup too. There are some on there arguing to reduce/drop the animosity against us. Even some of those I remember used to be most vociferous. What is the world coming to?!

Definitely some are starting to see how counterproductive it must be for them

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:39 pm 

Leighton wrote:
Pseudonym wrote:
Nice write-up.

Definitely some are starting to see how counterproductive it must be for them

I sort of get how it was in the first couple of years after they decided we were the only people who they could blame for their misfortune (the FA having too much legal firepower and the previous owners having left the scene) but to continue lying and moaning about it after over 20 years beggars belief. Trouble is they can't go back and admit they were wrong, journalists won't say anything either and nor will their owners. They're a good club with an decent ground, their fanbase aren't very different demographically to ours (property prices are way higher in SW London, Tooting is a bit meh in parts but generally it's a good place to live). I honestly don't know what gives, I've got nothing personally against them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:48 pm 

Going to their ground when we were pushing for promotion a couple of seasons ago and walking in to see a middle-aged man leap the barrier in order to get at Lewie told me that they're all still ladybits.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:56 pm 

Gers wrote:
Going to their ground when we were pushing for promotion a couple of seasons ago and walking in to see a middle-aged man leap the barrier in order to get at Lewie told me that they're all still ladybits.

Lewie just stared at him IIRC. The guy retreated. :lol: