THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:04 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:42 am 

Aliramone wrote:
Now I hold my hands up; I contributed to those 10 pages. I (personally) did NOT say anything about losing the 3 points costing us promotion but anyone who did could be right although that could apply to the dreadful Doncaster game....or any game we've lost....or games we drew. It isn't provable.

Then there's the 'he was slow' issue. Well it looks as though that was down to 'following instructions'. I don't think I moaned about that either.

However I DID call out the ghastly failure to gather the cross in the first half. Then there was the bizarre stand still with arms wide as if he could use The Force to deflect the ball (as it didn't go in, perhaps he did) rather than adopt any standard goalkeeping practice. The first goal was down to him pure and simple. Poor s*d could do little about the second.

I can see why people were so well...disappointed? Angry? The fact that a goalkeeper seemed unable to perform one of the most basic functions his position demands was not good. Yes, it was the first game, perhaps he'll save a penalty tomorrow night to enable us to win (if he plays) and I'm not calling for him to go. Not even in jest.

It's just it was a poor/bad/uninspiring whatever start. He directly contributed to them getting a goal on his debut (yes doubtless a list of 'the goalkeeping greats' can be provided saying the same) so I can certainly appreciate why so many of us 'went on' about it - over the 10 pages.

The voice of reason…….i guess there’s a first time for everything.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:42 am 

what i find strange is a goalkeeper that is 6ft 5ins tall should be claiming a lot of crosses and dominating his area but looking back at the gateshead reviews he seems to stay on his line a lot. but given time and coaching he might change .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:44 am 

Odds on this thread exceeding 10 pages? ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:47 pm 

Magpie wrote:
Honestly, wtf. A 10 pager on the new keeper over 1 game? He didn’t have the best debut granted but let’s have it right. A pretty poor overall performance from a team that has been flattering to deceive a bit for a few weeks now. He was protected by a somewhat powder puff CB pairing and those at the other end of the pitch hardly covered themselves in glory.

What’s this nonsense about those 3 points costing us a promotion opportunity? That was more or less gone after 10 games. The team still isn’t that great, Christ under GA we were realistically looking at a relegation dogfight.

This manager, team and individual players us going to need a good deal of patience. Talk of promotion should be the realms of wish list stuff.

Why should it be wish list stuff? We are 7th. In the play offs even with a team that is flattering to deceive. But it will be if we gift opponents three points. We can still go up via the play offs, yes history is not in our favour, but fuck history. Yes, Marschall wasn't the only culprit. Lewie needs to have a lot of responsibility for their winner and this is his second mistake in a month after the one he made against Doncaster. My one worry is if a poor (quite frankly they were) Morecombe side can come to us and win what would that be with them lot tomorrow or Gillingham on Saturday or Wrexham or Mansfield. There are going to be a lot tougher games. It's the way we lost games. If we played like we did against Tranmere which was really good we can beat anyone on their day but we fluffed it big style on Saturday. We don't concede that first goal when we did our heads don't drop and we probably see it out for a win at worst a draw. So yes I will look at this game as three points dropped that might mean we are finishing 8th and not 7th. I am not delusional. I don't think we are getting autos, but stranger things have happened.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:51 pm 

Aliramone wrote:
Now I hold my hands up; I contributed to those 10 pages. I (personally) did NOT say anything about losing the 3 points costing us promotion but anyone who did could be right although that could apply to the dreadful Doncaster game....or any game we've lost....or games we drew. It isn't provable.

Then there's the 'he was slow' issue. Well it looks as though that was down to 'following instructions'. I don't think I moaned about that either.

However I DID call out the ghastly failure to gather the cross in the first half. Then there was the bizarre stand still with arms wide as if he could use The Force to deflect the ball (as it didn't go in, perhaps he did) rather than adopt any standard goalkeeping practice. The first goal was down to him pure and simple. Poor s*d could do little about the second.

I can see why people were so well...disappointed? Angry? The fact that a goalkeeper seemed unable to perform one of the most basic functions his position demands was not good. Yes, it was the first game, perhaps he'll save a penalty tomorrow night to enable us to win (if he plays) and I'm not calling for him to go. Not even in jest.

It's just it was a poor/bad/uninspiring whatever start. He directly contributed to them getting a goal on his debut (yes doubtless a list of 'the goalkeeping greats' can be provided saying the same) so I can certainly appreciate why so many of us 'went on' about it - over the 10 pages.

Yes, must admit I contributed to the post count as well with my one Sherlock Holmes quote - from, incidentally, The Sign of the (Back) Four, a rare Conan Doyle book about Football formations. ;)

To just quote one more relevant piece of dialogue from a Sherlock book - take from it what you will...

"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the concerning incident of Filip Marschall dominating his box."
"Filip Marschall didn't dominate his box."
"That was the concerning incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:58 pm 

Magpie wrote:
Dad_Of_A_Don wrote:
Why start a new thread? Just reply on the 10-pager. Now we have two threads and 11 pages on how poor the keeper was!

Because he needs a bit of patience, not a full slagging off after 1 game. 1game! Evidence sample set of 1. Do you not see how ludicrous that is?

No arguments with that. But my question was - why start a new thread? Why not make that (valid) point in the existing thread - as others have done too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:18 pm 

Magpie wrote:
Dad_Of_A_Don wrote:
Why start a new thread? Just reply on the 10-pager. Now we have two threads and 11 pages on how poor the keeper was!

Because he needs a bit of patience, not a full slagging off after 1 game. 1game! Evidence sample set of 1. Do you not see how ludicrous that is?

I haven't watched the Gateshead clips, but I did read some have concerns before the signing that he looked like he wasn't great with crosses and prone to mistakes (acceptable for a youngster, of course, but then the question becomes do you want a more experienced lower league keeper, with maybe less of a potential ceiling, or a youngster working his errors out on loan to you to the later benefit of other clubs? Which can validly be answered either way depending on preference).

So, just saying, maybe some of those worried after 'one game' worth of a sample are those who had the same worries prior to the signing having watched other sample evidence?

I haven't seen any of his earlier clips, and so haven't panicked after a bad debut. But, as a Man United fan who was worried about the choice of Onana as keeper, having seen him over the years, then I can understand the valid concerns about prioritising a goalkeeper who can be comfortable with the ball at his feet but who is very limited in terms of actually saving shots and dealing with crosses. Hopefully the latter proves not to apply to Marschall (it certainly applies to Onana so far!)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:19 pm 

Dad_Of_A_Don wrote:
Magpie wrote:
Dad_Of_A_Don wrote:

No arguments with that. But my question was - why start a new thread? Why not make that (valid) point in the existing thread - as others have done too.

Because I dodnt want to take part in any of that nonsense. In any event, what are you? the thread police :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:25 pm 

Magpie wrote:
Dad_Of_A_Don wrote:
Magpie wrote:
Dad_Of_A_Don wrote:

Because I dodnt want to take part in any of that nonsense. In any event, what are you? the thread police :lol:

Inspector Lestrade? :geek:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:14 pm 

Dad_Of_A_Don wrote:

Can I just mention Tucker for moment because....... ;)