Post subject: Re: Pitch
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:32 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
Magpie wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
CleanDon wrote:
Digger wrote:
CleanDon wrote:
Be interested in an interview with John Cove or whoever manages the pitch about why it’s in this state - an honest one too, not one full of excuses and lies

Overall responsibility rests with Simon Crampton and his explanation and the details of the clubs plans are detailed in the Supporters Board minutes 7/2/23 Item 4E:
https://www.mkdons.com/siteassets/image/fans/supporters-board/meeting-minutes_supporters-board_7feb2023web.pdf

Yeah, I said an honest one and not one full of excuses and lies.

What is wrong with what Simon has said? Bit harsh to be accusing him of lying. He has said we will be reverting back to a Desso pitch at the end of this season.

State of pitch
Our original pitch was a Desso pitch. This is normal scarified and reseeded
but due to the events that were taking place at the stadium a different
system was used. The grass was grown off site in the form of a “carpet”
with only small lengths of black fibre shard anchoring the roots.

We will be reverting back to a Desso pitch but this will be after next season.
The issues with the current pitch started with the deep frost which made
the shard liable to snapping which then makes the grass less stable. As the
weather improves the pitch will improve.

The pitch is laid on sand and is therefore extremely free draining which is
why watering is required to give it a slick playing surface. At times it may
appear to be flooded from the stands but this is just the reflection of the
floodlights off the black fibre shard within the pitch.

This does have an air of bullshit baffles brains.

What deep frost are they referring to? we havent really had any so far this winter or is it referring to last winter?

If the shard support structures have been damaged, then surely they remain damaged? How will the pitch materially improve with a design principle no longer functioning as intended?

Pitches inside large stadia are always very difficult to maintain but whatever the reason for this solution being selected, it seems a bit of a failure.

The minutes are from Feb last year.

and there has been no improvement since

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:33 pm 

CleanDon wrote:
Digger wrote:
CleanDon wrote:
Be interested in an interview with John Cove or whoever manages the pitch about why it’s in this state - an honest one too, not one full of excuses and lies

Overall responsibility rests with Simon Crampton and his explanation and the details of the clubs plans are detailed in the Supporters Board minutes 7/2/23 Item 4E:
https://www.mkdons.com/siteassets/image/fans/supporters-board/meeting-minutes_supporters-board_7feb2023web.pdf

Wow, that’s a bit strong.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:42 pm 

CleanDon wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
Magpie wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
CleanDon wrote:
Digger wrote:
CleanDon wrote:

What is wrong with what Simon has said? Bit harsh to be accusing him of lying. He has said we will be reverting back to a Desso pitch at the end of this season.

State of pitch
Our original pitch was a Desso pitch. This is normal scarified and reseeded
but due to the events that were taking place at the stadium a different
system was used. The grass was grown off site in the form of a “carpet”
with only small lengths of black fibre shard anchoring the roots.

We will be reverting back to a Desso pitch but this will be after next season.
The issues with the current pitch started with the deep frost which made
the shard liable to snapping which then makes the grass less stable. As the
weather improves the pitch will improve.

The pitch is laid on sand and is therefore extremely free draining which is
why watering is required to give it a slick playing surface. At times it may
appear to be flooded from the stands but this is just the reflection of the
floodlights off the black fibre shard within the pitch.

This does have an air of bullshit baffles brains.

What deep frost are they referring to? we havent really had any so far this winter or is it referring to last winter?

If the shard support structures have been damaged, then surely they remain damaged? How will the pitch materially improve with a design principle no longer functioning as intended?

Pitches inside large stadia are always very difficult to maintain but whatever the reason for this solution being selected, it seems a bit of a failure.

The minutes are from Feb last year.

and there has been no improvement since

That is absolutely not true. The pitch was in a far worse state this time last year.

As per the minutes, we are reverting back to a Desso pitch for next season. I'm not sure how clearer Simon Crampton can be. We're using the current system due to summer events and this system doesn't hold up so well. This is a brand new pitch and was laid in the summer (having been grown off site) but it doesn't deal as well in the winter months.

We should see it hold up much better next winter if the Desso one goes ahead as planned.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:46 pm 

So we bought and paid for a pitch that doesnt hold up particularly well in cold conditions and had it installed in a nothern european location where it primary use is during cold conditions and it hasnt held up. Who could have known?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:29 pm 

I've not been following this that closely, but there are claims in this thread that the current pitch is/was supposed to last 15 years. And now it's apparently going to be replaced after one. What's going on there? I don't quite understand.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:33 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
I've not been following this that closely, but there are claims in this thread that the current pitch is/was supposed to last 15 years. And now it's apparently going to be replaced after one. What's going on there? I don't quite understand.

I'm no groundsman, but the pitch was regrown in the summer but keeping with the same type of pitch and underlay as recent seasons. I don't think it was ever planned to last beyond this season, as it was just the top service being regrown.

We are reverting back to a Desso pitch, which is far more durable and what we used previously (I assume when the pitch never use to tear up much). This transition will happen this summer. I believe this is the pitch that has a 15 year lifespan.

This is all based on the minutes that were shared in here, but they are from Feb last year, so I have no idea if these are still current. Have we not had a meeting since then?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:41 pm 

Magpie wrote:
So we bought and paid for a pitch that doesnt hold up particularly well in cold conditions and had it installed in a nothern european location where it primary use is during cold conditions and it hasnt held up. Who could have known?

Takes a genius to do that :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:53 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:

I'm no groundsman, but the pitch was regrown in the summer but keeping with the same type of pitch and underlay as recent seasons. I don't think it was ever planned to last beyond this season, as it was just the top service being regrown.

We are reverting back to a Desso pitch, which is far more durable and what we used previously (I assume when the pitch never use to tear up much). This transition will happen this summer. I believe this is the pitch that has a 15 year lifespan.

This is all based on the minutes that were shared in here, but they are from Feb last year, so I have no idea if these are still current. Have we not had a meeting since then?

Thank you, that makes a bit more sense!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:03 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:

I was hoping you were going to say 'grass'.... ;)