THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:44 am 

epdon wrote:
Just read Toby Lock’s player ratings on the Citizen web page.
Did he watch the same game as the rest of us?
Ok, I get being kind to the new keeper on his first outing.
But how on earth does Lofthouse score 7.5 and Top Don?

Clueless. Other than 1 run down the right, he offered nothing all game. Poor control, poor passing and a severe inability to shoot. Alongside the keeper (and Lewie when he came) he was one of the poorest players on the pitch.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:47 am 

East Wing Don wrote:
epdon wrote:

Clueless. Other than 1 run down the right, he offered nothing all game. Poor control, poor passing and a severe inability to shoot. Alongside the keeper (and Lewie when he came) he was one of the poorest players on the pitch.

We all watch different games. He looked OK to me but with the MASSIVE caveat that he could not or would not try and go past the last man. We knew (and they knew) he would always cut inside. Try him on the left maybe?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:20 am 

keyser soze wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
epdon wrote:

We all watch different games. He looked OK to me but with the MASSIVE caveat that he could not or would not try and go past the last man. We knew (and they knew) he would always cut inside. Try him on the left maybe?

For me Payne was the Top Don, and by a wide margin.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:45 am 

WellDon wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
epdon wrote:

For me Payne was the Top Don, and by a wide margin.

Agree. Dean gets an honourable mention in second place.

Regarding Lofty - he reminds me of Zak Jules when he 1st came in and was playing as a LWB. Big, athletic lad with a good engine but he looks like he is playing out of position.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:51 am 

Payne was our best player on the day by far. He gave the ball away a couple of times but that’s because he was constantly on the ball and trying to make things happen.

We cannot drop the keeper for Tuesday. It is very tempting after that debut but it will wreck his confidence even more if he is dropped, and I am sure villa didn’t send him here to sit on the bench. We are behind the 8 ball on this goalie situation sadly.

I thought Lofty did ok - he looks the best of the signings so far based on limited evidence. Good athlete, defended well and just need a bit more craft and confidence going forward.

Turning to Tuesday I would be tempted to put Smith in there. I thought MJW got bullied in the air a bit yesterday, I would want Smith in there protecting the goalie on set plays and heading whatever comes our way out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:55 am 

Zen wrote:
I thought MJW got bullied in the air a bit yesterday.

With you on that. His percentage win ratio in air duels was appalling.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:12 pm 

I think Lewie and Norman could both be back in from the start which gives us a lot more arial ability. Should help boost those arial duel stats Gers will be happy to hear.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:50 pm 

No two ways about it, that was a costly bad pass from Lewie. It was well behind Bate and he slipped because he tried to turn quickly to get back to where the ball had been passed to. Plus O'Hora should be putting a better foot in than that.

Don't agree with blaming the keeper for the second goal either. First goal, yes, that's Marschall's error. But the second one is just one of those - a good hard shot low across the goalkeeper as per the coaching manual. We score goals like that all the time and nobody is uncharitable enough to suggest the keeper should be saving them. If it was Max Dean we'd be raving at how clinical he was.