THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:57 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:23 pm 

THE MELTDOWN – TRANMERE ROVERS
Ummmmm….WOW….It’s about 20 minutes from Kick Off and I’m gobsmacked…..Kelly in goal seems to me to be a massive F*** Up. Mac could possibly be injured, but with the speculation about him moving, and the possibility his future club not wanting him risked, this seems like poor planning, that we have exposed ourselves so badly, and anyone that watched Kelly play last time in the Mickey Mouse Cup will know exactly what I’m talking about.

My whole opinion on this game has changed …I hope I’m wrong, but this could go horribly wrong…by the way Kemp starts.

Here we go…….I hope I don’t get the urge to sing “Has anyone here seen Kelly”.

If I’ve heard this right Robson got injured in the warm up which explains why we have just the 6 subs, Lofthouse comes in to fill the void, and looks to be playing as a right wingback.

Well, where did that come from, a Tranny player makes a total arse of a throw in on the halfway line, and it goes right up in the air, Gilbey is sent on down the left side by Williams, he cuts to the middle and knocks it in the bottom corner from just outside the box….1-0.

1-1…can’t blame Kelly for that as a deflected shot sends him the wrong way, my only question mark being Lofty getting outjumped and then left in the wake of the attacking player, just 3 minutes between the two goals.

Two very different styles going on here, we are very slow and measured preferring to hold onto the ball, Tranmere looking to get forward quickly and get the tricky Apter involved.

Shout for a penalty, but it looked like Kemp handballed it a millisecond before contact was made, then Dean goes down in the box and is abused by a bearded oaf who stick his nut into Dean, Darren Drysdale steps in with some calming words.

25 minutes gone, 72% possession, and we are having the most chances, but it still feels very even…..I’m nervous.

Lofty has done very little, he gets a chance, the only danger being to the home fans….welcome to the EFL.

Another chance carved out, Dean and Gilbey break quickly, Dean sets Gilbey in, but he hits it straight at the keeper, that was big chance, hopefully we don’t regret these missed opportunities.

I’m relatively happy at the moment, what is good is we are winning the ball back in midfield, we just need to use it right.

What a ball from Williams to Kemp, but the keeper just does enough to force it wide, no wonder McGee is the top rated keeper in LG 2, that’s a few times now he has bailed out the Tranny defence.

Lofthouse is having a mare so far, put in near the corner flag down the right and miskicks it to safety, he has to improve.

We’re in again, and it gets knocked away for a corner with Dean about to pull the trigger….I’ve said it before, these chances have to tell or we are going to get mugged, we’ve seen it so many times in football, you don’t always get what you deserve.

Its halftime and the players trudge off with Lewie explaining to Darren Drysdale where he is going wrong, Drysdale is very amused.

Taking a brief glimpse at the stats, Tranny have made 17 defence clearances to our 1, and we’ve had 8 shots to their 1.

Here comes the teams for the second half and it looks like business as usual with no subs from either side.

Just a couple of minutes in and Norman looks like he has caught an elbow there, and it appears to be a bit of claret with cotton wadding rammed up his nostrils.

Norman comes back on, good job we are wearing red today as there doesn’t appear to be a trace of anything untoward.

Another chance, the ball gets pulled back for Kemp, he’s leaning back on contact and sprays the ball wide, let off for Tranmere as another chance goes begging.

Lofty is getting a rude introduction to LG 2, hopefully it’s just nerves, but he needs a good run, a header, or a shot to settle him down.

Shout for a pen as O’Hora blocks and it bounces up on his trailing hand, Drysdale waves it away, but it would have been harsh.

Finally, a little flash from Lofty, down the right, he cuts inside the box, and it just squirts it wide…..is this the start for the new signing we need.

First sub for Tranny, I’m no expert but it looks like Tranny are trying to bolster the midfield where they have been largely chasing shadows.

We have a corner, but before then off comes Lofty and Dean, Harrison and Leko join the action.

Tranmere commentators are saying how much they would take the draw, adding Tranny have been second best, also saying while it’s 1-1 there is still a chance to steal an undeserved win…nothing would shock you.

12 minutes to go….and Tranmere take off a defender for a striker…interesting, and there is no doubt Tranmere are finally giving the high press a go, this could get nervy.

Another opening carved by the Dons, Kemp engineers some space and again it just goes wide…again.

Like London busses another chance, Harrison is sent clear with just the keeper to beat and fires wide….Tranmere are riding their luck, but you have to admire the way they have stayed in the game, and they remain dangerous.

This is unbearable Kemp breaks fast and takes a shot with Harrison screaming for the ball.

Bloody hell, Tranmere get a sight of goal for the first time in over an hour, but the dangerous Apter fires it high into the home end.

Injury time and Tranmere are finishing strong, and another attempt goes flashing across the Dons goal….and breath.

2 minutes to go and Tranny bring on a couple of defenders, their commentators saying Tranny should settle for a point.

Seconds to go and we have a corner down the right……pushing and shoving in the box…Payne to take it…..OMG OMG OMG…. It goes here and there, and it falls to Harrison who scores, the Army has gone berserk.

The home faithful are not happy as they descend on the Dons bench, lots of finger pointing, plenty of gestures….suck it up losers.

Let’s face it, the right team won, they educated Tranmere all game, who gave Kelly nothing to do….was I too harsh earlier.

I thought it all worked pretty well, and no real complaints from me, and there should be no complaints from Tranmere either, with a bit of better finishing and final ball choices it could have been 4 or 5.

That’s it folks, I hope you liked this blow by blow account.

Have a GREAT WEEKEND.

Choooooo Chooooo

8-) WD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:32 pm 

Quote:
The home faithful are not happy as they descend on the Dons bench, lots of finger pointing, plenty of gestures….suck it up losers.

Was that the sourest of sour grapes or were there alleging something else? (As you say...losers)

Deeply disappointed you didn't play in goal.

Write up was vaguely interesting. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:13 pm 

Think Dean wound them up a bit and was shoved down the tunnel by our players so he didn't get a red I presume.

Think you're being a bit harsh on Lofthouse as I thought he was steady.
Dean needs a goal to go with his performances

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:05 am 

BarryR wrote:
Think Dean wound them up a bit and was shoved down the tunnel by our players so he didn't get a red I presume.

Think you're being a bit harsh on Lofthouse as I thought he was steady.
Dean needs a goal to go with his performances

Agreed on Lofthouse and need to remember it’s his first game for us and he didn’t even know he was playing until about 10 mins before kick off.

I thought he looked OK, just needs to improve his decision making. We definitely have vast contrasts between what Tomlinson offers and the other WB’s. Hopefully Lofthouse will push on and offer similar.

Will be interesting to see what happens when Harvie is back.

Dean is on a little dry patch and not really getting that many chances but his overall play is still pretty strong.

Shoutout to Williams who I thought was brilliant yesterday and also Kelly (although he didn’t have to do much) for having a strong game, especially after all our concerns.