THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Corners
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:05 pm 

Camdenite wrote:
Magpie wrote:
CleanDon wrote:
jeoff82 wrote:
Does anyone know what the tactical advantages of using 2 players to take a short corner is? They try and dribble into an already congested area or Payne whips in a cross that's cleared before the near post?

The 82 suggest you're born in 1982 and of the belief a cross into the box guarantees a goal.

In world football less than 1% of corners that are crossed into the box are scored, I'm not sure about you, but I don't like them odds

That may well be true but according to Opta, therefore based on the EPL, something like 13 to 14% of all goals come from a corner situation so not to be sniffed at. The numbers will be low as football per se is a relatively low scoring sport at the highest level.

the conversion rate is something like a goal every 11 corners with the top teams averaging around 8 corners a game, its worth around a goal every game and a half.

Watch the video above. That figure includes corners that are passed around without the opposition turning over possession. You, I suspect, are only thinking of the big centre half “getting his noggin on it”. That, a direct one touch and a goal, type of corner rarely results in a goal.

Nope, that why I wrote corner situation. I think in play crosses and static corners are very different. My suspicion is that teams work on defending corners more than attacking them. when everyone is 6ft 2 and almost all position themselves in the six yard box, its no surprise that goals direct from a corner kick are quite hard to come by.

edit: I just watched the vid and I have seen that before and liked it. It kind of proves the point. Getting a corner right whether its the traditional whack it in or go shorter and move the opposition around a bit does result in a sizeable amount of goals according to Opta in the EPL. I believe the 13 to 14% of all goals includes the kind of corner that the video describes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:56 pm 

Camdenite wrote:
https://www.sportbible.com/football/football-news/notts-county-luke-williams-league-two-short-corner-040572-20231124

(I’ll keep posting this! :lol: )

Love it. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:58 pm 

Camdenite wrote:
https://www.sportbible.com/football/football-news/notts-county-luke-williams-league-two-short-corner-040572-20231124

(I’ll keep posting this! :lol: )

Yeah, but is that goal really from a corner? Over 2 minutes passed between them taking the corner and them scoring. It's simply as a result of maintaining posession. The corner is irrelevant. I like Luke Williams, but on this occasion I think he's talking bollocks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:46 pm 

Quote:
In world football less than 1% of corners that are crossed into the box are scored, I'm not sure about you, but I don't like them odds

I reckon we have been a major contributor to that statistic.... :(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:58 am 

How many times do you see teams surrender a goal or card ehen taking a direct corner and the defending team breaking quickly? Personally id rather maintain discipline, move the opposition around with short probing passes and patience than a direct delivery into a box that a technical team doesnt stand a chance of winning against an opposition defence and subsequently risking getting a card from a professional foul or giving up a goal on the break.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:49 am 

Beardhidesboy64 wrote:
How many times do you see teams surrender a goal or card ehen taking a direct corner and the defending team breaking quickly? Personally id rather maintain discipline, move the opposition around with short probing passes and patience than a direct delivery into a box that a technical team doesnt stand a chance of winning against an opposition defence and subsequently risking getting a card from a professional foul or giving up a goal on the break.

I agree, I am all for short corners as mentioned in the original post but we seem to just be giving the ball straight back to them every time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:41 pm 

Beardhidesboy64 wrote:

I'm on my second (large) glass of red. Can you break that down into simple statements for me please. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:52 pm 

Aliramone wrote:
Beardhidesboy64 wrote:

I'm on my second (large) glass of red. Can you break that down into simple statements for me please. :oops:

At least you recognise that the drinking is the corrs of you not understanding all the talk on corners.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:04 pm 

Aliramone wrote:
Quote:

I reckon we have been a major contributor to that statistic.... :(

Jack Payne has

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:10 pm 

Plum wrote:
Aliramone wrote:
Beardhidesboy64 wrote:

At least you recognise that the drinking is the corrs of you not understanding all the talk on corners.

What's Jim Morrison's band got to do with anything?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next