THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Corners
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:27 am 

Im always amazed at how pro footballers, who have done literally nothing other than practice playing football from the age of maybe 8 or so can consistently fail to deliver a decent set piece. Its not just us but across football as a whole. It really is extraordinary how often a really poor ball is delivered by people who day job it is to do so.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:34 am 

Magpie wrote:
Im always amazed at how pro footballers, who have done literally nothing other than practice playing football from the age of maybe 8 or so can consistently fail to deliver a decent set piece. Its not just us but across football as a whole. It really is extraordinary how often a really poor ball is delivered by people who day job it is to do so.

Corners and crosses were the best part of my game as a kid. I was terrible at everything else but if they bring in rolling subs I'll be happy to sign up for £400 a week just to whip in a corner or a wide free kick.

Seriously though, it's a skill as much as anything else in football. Pinpoint deliveries aren't easy, neither is consistency.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:59 am 

DippyDon wrote:
Magpie wrote:

Corners and crosses were the best part of my game as a kid. I was terrible at everything else but if they bring in rolling subs I'll be happy to sign up for £400 a week just to whip in a corner or a wide free kick.

Seriously though, it's a skill as much as anything else in football. Pinpoint deliveries aren't easy, neither is consistency.

Who said anything about pinpoint? Missing the first man consistently would be a start!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:05 pm 

Magpie wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
Magpie wrote:

Who said anything about pinpoint? Missing the first man consistently would be a start!

You really don't want a corner routine where you're not aiming for a certain spot that the rest of the team are running towards... if you're expecting players to just hit and hope that an attacker connects then our corners will be just as bad as they are now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:18 pm 

Aliramone wrote:
Leighton wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
We are just monumentally shit at them aren’t we. I’ve noticed that we’ve been taking far more short corners, which I’m not against (Luke Williams gives a good talk on how effective they can be) but they’ve been comically bad too.

One of Colchester biggest threats was from our own corners, when we’d either lump it in and get caught on the break or try some elaborate short routine that ended up being passed straight to them.

We’re also equally shit as defending crosses into our box. Not sure who our set piece coach is, but they’ve got a bit of work to do.

We might want to throw in that our free kick set pieces were equally awful yesterday

JP's was especially ghastly/incomprehensible :(

Even 11 year old daughter even painted that he always seemed to pass too far ahead of his team mates ....incomprehensible is the right word

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:39 pm 

Does anyone know what the tactical advantages of using 2 players to take a short corner is? They try and dribble into an already congested area or Payne whips in a cross that's cleared before the near post?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:13 pm 

jeoff82 wrote:
Does anyone know what the tactical advantages of using 2 players to take a short corner is? They try and dribble into an already congested area or Payne whips in a cross that's cleared before the near post?

The 82 suggest you're born in 1982 and of the belief a cross into the box guarantees a goal.

In world football less than 1% of corners that are crossed into the box are scored, I'm not sure about you, but I don't like them odds

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:23 pm 

https://www.sportbible.com/football/foo ... 2-20231124

(I’ll keep posting this! :lol: )

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:40 pm 

CleanDon wrote:
jeoff82 wrote:

The 82 suggest you're born in 1982 and of the belief a cross into the box guarantees a goal.

In world football less than 1% of corners that are crossed into the box are scored, I'm not sure about you, but I don't like them odds

That may well be true but according to Opta, therefore based on the EPL, something like 13 to 14% of all goals come from a corner situation so not to be sniffed at. The numbers will be low as football per se is a relatively low scoring sport at the highest level.

the conversion rate is something like a goal every 11 corners with the top teams averaging around 8 corners a game, its worth around a goal every game and a half.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:52 pm 

Magpie wrote:
CleanDon wrote:
jeoff82 wrote:

That may well be true but according to Opta, therefore based on the EPL, something like 13 to 14% of all goals come from a corner situation so not to be sniffed at. The numbers will be low as football per se is a relatively low scoring sport at the highest level.

the conversion rate is something like a goal every 11 corners with the top teams averaging around 8 corners a game, its worth around a goal every game and a half.

Watch the video above. That figure includes corners that are passed around without the opposition turning over possession. You, I suspect, are only thinking of the big centre half “getting his noggin on it”. That, a direct one touch and a goal, type of corner rarely results in a goal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next