THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 8:14 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:12 am 

THE MELTDOWN – COLCHESTER UNITED
First things first, what I or anyone else come to that could say about Dean Lewington and his amazing career, we could never do it justice, he is in reality a dinosaur in the game, and I say that with the greatest respect, something we will never see again, and I think its right when people say his record will never be beaten, it won’t, and nobody can take that bit of history away from Lewie, us the fans, and the MK Dons.

If you were there today you witnessed history, and we will continue to witness it every time he pulls on the shirt between now and the day comes to hang up his boots.

I am immensely proud he is my captain and leader, and that comes from someone who first described him as a slow old donkey with the first touch of a trampoline…. but I am happy to admit I was wrong, I learnt, as have hundreds of strikers and opposition fans over the years.

Undoubtedly it will be a sad day when he does give up, and sad old buggers like me might even shed a tear, but it will be tears of pride.

Lastly I want to mention DonsAction who crowdfunded the banner in honour of Lewie, a fantastic effort by everyone involved, you are the future of this club, and you should be proud of what you achieve and keep on achieving.

The game then….still no Harvie and Leko came in for Grant, what was the thinking behind it we will never know, some have suggested that it was MW giving Leko a last look and seeing if he was part of the New Year Masterplan, but one thing I did feel was when Leko had the ball he wasn’t his normal extravagant self, well certainly not in the first half, and the jury is out for me on the Leko 2.1 version, and as strange as it sounds I’d like to see a bit more, I was all for getting rid, now I’m not so sure, it’s down to the Crawley game.

Looking closer at the game, I did start to get concerned early on, when you’ve seen the number of games over the years I have you get to learn when it’s going to be a long old afternoon, and this game had all the hallmarks.

We engineered some great opportunities, but we forgot our shooting boots and several shot flew just wide, and you knew they were close as Goodman in the Col U goal was throwing himself at everything, if they were well wide he wouldn’t have bothered. Then we had the double save from Gilbey and you just started worrying it wasn’t going to be our day, the Tomlinson shot hitting the post only compounded the worry.

It was clear the Col U plan was to soak up the pressure and take a point or even better hit us on the break as we committed more and more players forward, and credit where credit is due the sweeping one touch move that started down their defensive left was something you had to admire, I’m just glad we didn’t see any more of it.

With time running out MW decided to throw caution to the wind, three at the back, on came Mo and 10 minutes later Harrison joined the battle. Again, we got close, and a few times the Col U defence had to clear the ball anywhere and quickly, but not long after it looked like we could have really screwed up.

We were bombarding them, the ball broke and they hit us at speed with us left in the wake, thankfully their striker saw glory in his eyes and shot straight at Mac, lucky for us he never squared the ball to the guy who was on his own screaming for the ball.

With just a handful of minutes left I turned to my “Football Friend” and said, “at their place right now we were losing 2-1, and we know how that turned out”. I was possibly trying to convince myself all was not lost, but thankfully it came from the unlikely source of Harrison in the 89th minute.

Payne swung over a freekick into the box and Harrison stabbed it home……. what a bloody relief, and I don’t think I’ve seen a goal celebration like that at home in ages by both fans and players.

Whilst I’m sure we would have loved to see out the 4 minutes injury time without too much drama there was still time to see Tom Hopper have one come off the bar and then be ruled offside seconds later as he put the ball in the net.

Thankfully the final whistle was blown by one of the worst refs we have seen this season, I was thinking coming from the MLS he would be half decent, but he was tragic at times….and have you ever seen anyone pull a yellow card out of their top pocket with such speed and enthusiasm.

The closing scenes saw a reluctant Lewie assist MW with the now compulsory three point celebration, and thankfully many stayed behind to give Lewie just one more show of appreciation.

So that’s Stage 2 of the Festive Masterplan complete and up into the playoff spots for the first time in months and I think the one thing I will take from this game is we just don’t give up and we find a way to win.

I felt exhausted with all the emotion as I was walking out, but still looking forward to Friday night against Crawley Town under the lights, hopefully its more stress free.

Choooo, Choooo 4 now.

8-) WD

Last edited by WellDon on Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:22 am 

Yep agreed, Leko version 2.1 looked interesting & would like to see more.

Fingers & toes are now crossed that we can keep hold of the Baby Faced assassin. He will be needed to score the winning goal in the playoffs final.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:33 am 

A great afternoon - we played very , very well again. We looked like the manning side in that first season of his in the way we kept the ball, were patient and created endless chances. The manager has completely transformed this side and we look very capable now.

I thought the whole defence played with slippers and a cigar but that was down to them all individually playing out brilliantly and doing the defensive work they did need to do very well. O Hora looks a new player under this manager.

On Leko - he ran and did a good job. I will say that his and Gilbeya decision making was not quite at the same level as the rest. Gilbey looks a bit short on confidence to me but he is working very hard and you can’t fault the guy.

Payne and Dean were both superb again.

I said I would be happy with 6 points from these 3 games , we are already there .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:55 am 

I’m sure the ref was unbiased, but he did a very poor job of showing it. He flamboyantly flourished the yellows to our players, then reluctantly pulled one out for their player. I hope he twigs the cultural differences sooner rather than later. This ain't the Disney Channel.

Anyhow, the late goal made the win much sweeter.

So glad Lewie wasn’t permitted to sneak off at the end without the acknowledgment. :lol:

If we sell Dean in January, then we are dumb both commercially and - er - football…ly.

Last edited by Pseudonym on Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:18 am 

Played well. Thought there were some really good performances including Lewie who didn't put a foot wrong in the game.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:38 am 

Max Dean is the sort of player we would all hate if he played against us. Which is a good thing. I love the little scally.

Gilbey is out of form but he still puts in a shift and we know he has the talent. Just keep playing him Mike; he'll come good soon.

As I said elsewhere, MJ looks very good in the back line. Surely that's his role from now on?

Leko? I think I'm done with him. I love tricksy, dribbling, flash-Harry players and I'm always willing to give them a lot of goodwill, overlooking greediness, bad decision making and a lack of nous, knowing they will improve with a decent amount of game time, but I'm now losing patience with Leko. I suspect his time is up.

Lewie - no mere words will suffice. A stand and a statue. Make it happen Pete, once he retires.

O'Hora - it's so good to have him back. His doppleganger tried to fill in for 6 months or more but didn't cut it. Nice to have the Real Deal back playing.

Norman just isn't a wing back. Hopefully a proper WB is on Sweeting's January shopping list.

Robson is back to his neat and tidy self. Always finding space to take a pass from the defenders, always looking to move it on quickly. Nothing scene-stealing, nothing that will ever make him MOTM but I'm sure highly valued by his team mates if not the supporters.

Harrison - great that he scored. Still not sure he's much cop but he deserves to get some chances under the current regime; no one flourished in the GA shit-show. Maybe an impact sub role for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:14 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
Max Dean is the sort of player we would all hate if he played against us. Which is a good thing. I love the little scally.

Gilbey is out of form but he still puts in a shift and we know he has the talent. Just keep playing him Mike; he'll come good soon.

Norman just isn't a wing back. Hopefully a proper WB is on Sweeting's January shopping list.

Spot on. The type of player everyone wants in their team but is hated by everyone else.

Gilbey is very much out of form, as you say and no where more than in front of goal. His finishing has been so poor recently and should have had 2 goals yesterday. Agree that even when out of form, you still want him in your team.

Agree on Norman too. So many of our attacks down the right break up because of him. He just is not a wing back at all, because he poses barely any attacking threat. He's supposed to offer the same as Tomlinson but the difference in night and day. Tomlinson and Harvie will both get a few goals this year (they have already) but I wouldn't be surprised to see Norman goalless even if he plays every game.

I thought everyone had a good game yesterday but would pick Leko, Norman and (maybe slightly harshly) Gilbey as not being up to the same level. I was surprised Grant didn't come on for Leko around the 60th minute mark.

Forgot to include your bit on Robson, but for me he was MoTM yesterday. A lot of what he does will go unnoticed but I thought he was flawless in everything he did. Broke up play really well, made himself available and dictated play alongside Payne.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:57 pm 

I agree about Robson but with one caveat. His growth area is to take responsibility himself. Around the box he was too quick to pass when he himself had a route into the box.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:05 pm 

Pseudonym wrote:
I agree about Robson but with one caveat. His growth area is to take responsibility himself. Around the box he was too quick to pass when he himself had a route into the box.

I said something similar to the guy standing next to me, he had space in front of him, but seemed reluctant to push into it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:47 pm 

Pseudonym wrote:

Yeah that's fair. But after an awful period last season and also under GA, I'd cut him some slack. Maybe that more attacking thrust is step two on his path back to form.