THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:50 pm 

dons50 wrote:

Society’s pretty fluid now, many of those youngsters currently going home and away will go to university and probably leave the area. I’ve got two sons who used to go to the Dons. One in particular was very fanatical and hardly missed a game, home or away, for a few seasons. He now lives somewhere else. He’s got mates who went to games with him who have done the same.

Not sure what point I’m trying to make, just sort of explaining why some people drift away.

My point wasn’t so much about youngsters drifting away from the early years, but more about the 30 somethings from 2004 onwards who followed the club home and away every game, were involved in the DSA, were very active on this forum and it’s predecessors, (some even ran forums themselves!) and I always assumed were, in prison parlance, “lifers”. Lots of them have disappeared into the ether. That’s not normal but I guess it’s what we are as a club.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:17 am 

donmentor wrote:
For most men the football or the rugby was the highlight of an otherwise monotonous working week.

Was? Still.is for me (both those things!)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:16 am 

Camdenite wrote:
My point wasn’t so much about youngsters drifting away from the early years, but more about the 30 somethings from 2004 onwards who followed the club home and away every game, were involved in the DSA, were very active on this forum and it’s predecessors, (some even ran forums themselves!) and I always assumed were, in prison parlance, “lifers”. Lots of them have disappeared into the ether. That’s not normal but I guess it’s what we are as a club.

That's probably me in the main.

I think I can trace it back to 2016: the year I realised that my money was far better spent sitting in the sun with some beers watching MotoGP somewhere in Europe two or three weekends a year, than it was freezing my bollocks off in yet another northern shithole being shouted at by cretins.

I've always been a motorsport fan first tbh.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:42 am 

Hello boys.
Logs in… chuckles…
Nice to see a few old faces posting. Hello Dan.
…chuckles again… logs out.

Peace and love.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:00 am 

Bloody hell, we don’t help ourselves sometimes do we….

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:47 am 

Wombletom wrote:
Hello boys.
Logs in… chuckles…

Peace and love.

Cyclists are all ladybits.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:15 am 

Camdenite wrote:
cornerdon26 wrote:
I'd be really intrigued as to whether we'd have had this discussion if we got promoted in 2009.

Brighton got promoted from L1 getting attendances of 6,000-7,300 in a ground that could hold about 8500. 20,000 in first year in Champ then grew. Would we have seen a similar trend? At that time, I'd honestly not have ruled it out.

But it didn't happen. Shit happened, we are where we are. Whilst we can criticise Winky for focusing on other aspects would we have attracted the players or been I'm a financial position to recruit some of our best talent without the added revenue from the stadium? I'm unsure

Brighton always had the core support in the town from the Goldstone days, just thousands of stay away fans who would never have gone to the Withdean or (previously Gillingham) so it was fairly predictable that they would flourish once they finally got the ownership and stadium sorted. The deep pockets of Tony Bloom helped, but probably not to the level they’re at right now. They got the jump on a lot of Championship clubs that are like oil tankers in terms of their recruitment model and structure. Fair play to them.

Similarly, Brentford got “the model” right, but before they left Griffin Park, but again it took deep pockets. Like Brighton there was a lapsed support (Griffin Park once held 40,000!) and ownership issues, but they also managed to galvanise a generation of youngsters who’d been lost to surrounding clubs. I’m not saying they all used to support Chelsea or, to a lesser degree, Fulham, but having a brother who used to go a lot to Brentford, they were very much a “second team” for many. That’s where the increased numbers have come from.

We’re different. The numbers in the population are there in MK, but we’ll always be fighting the geographical pull of London and to a lesser degree the West Midlands and families moving to MK having their own clubs going back to the start of the new town. Only results on the pitch will change that. Though I’d put the caveat that even a promotion this season isn’t going to increase attendances that much. Too much “trust” has been lost in the ownership amongst a significant number for them ever to return as season ticket holders. I know several who jacked it in last summer (some thirty years plus from Plough Lane>Selhurst>Hockey Stadium…). They still go but pick and choose their games. I doubt even Championship football will bring them back as ST holders (they’ll disagree with me and the GroupChat will be pinging, but statistically clubs know that once you lose a season ticket holder the chances of getting them back are slim).

Now that the novelty has worn off there’s a definite sense of “it isn’t going to be the shiny future that Pete thought, is it?”. What’s striking to me is the numbers from those early days who I simply don’t see anymore. In truth, it’s probably normal to have some sort of churn of support, and people’s priorities change, but there are fans you’d see home and away every week, who I never see nowadays. Did their “life priorities” change, did they get disillusioned with the lack of progress as a club, or was it that they were, in the words of our detractors “two club w***ers” who were never really fans in the first place? Probably a mixture of all three, but I still feel that no “proper club” loses those sort of numbers.

The encouraging thing is that there is definitely a younger element going home and especially away, but it’ll be a struggle to keep them as “life priorities” start to take effect. You’d hope they have stronger ties to the club than the teens/early twenties of 2004, but we’ll see

I moved to London in 2017 so that’s my excuse. Too far to travel to MK for games.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:03 am 

I live too far away to know all the in's & out's of why the club support on matchday is where it is.

Having a big, attractive stadium is rarely a 'problem'. And if the club had achieved promotion in 2009 as was mentioned, and to be fair even only a couple of years ago when we were so close- this conversation might be different.

But League 2 isn't going to bring the supporters who watch from afar BACK into the stadium. League 1, doing well, playing attractive & making progress...might improve things.

Success on the field is always a key element. People love watching their team win.

My biggest concern is the term 'their team'. Where I think the club has let themselves down is building that core support from the community. Someone got laughed at for the 78 references to 'kids' earlier- but funnily enough- that's where you build your core support of the future. You want those 5-10 year olds buying in. Get lifelong support. Swinging 30 year olds over is hard. They already have 'their team'. Building a supporter base- a solid base- is often generational.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:42 am 

Wombletom wrote:
Hello boys.
Logs in… chuckles…

Peace and love.

Blimey the ghost of Christmas Past. Hello mate, we thought you were dead. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:04 am 

Wombletom wrote:
Hello boys.
Logs in… chuckles…

Peace and love.

Happy New Year, Tom. Hope you're keeping well. :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next