THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:52 am 

Plum wrote:
donmentor wrote:
Plum wrote:
donmentor wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
donmentor wrote:
I think of it as Milton Keynes Stadium which a football club happens to use. It is a great asset to the CITY of MK. We would not have seen Brazil play at the NHS would we, for example.

Like West Ham play at the London Stadium.

Couldn't care less about Brazil personally, but that's just me.

It was one of the most forgettable, boring and absolutely soul sucking events I've ever attended.

My good lady and I treated ourselves to a hospitality evening for that game. It was great. We couldn't have done anything like that at the NHS.

For somebody so down on the PL, and so up on the lower leagues, it seems a strange priority to focus more on every so often being able to take your wife to hospitality to watch the likes of Brazil. Where's your humble: I'd rather stand on a crumbling old terrace in the freezing cold watching my local team with loyal regulars attitude, rather than all this 'prawn sandwich brigade' style reasoning about Brazil and hospitality? ;)

What ever suits you sir, takes all sorts. 8-)

Whatever suits me? I've no issue with the PL. And no romantic illusions about the lower leagues. I was talking about what you usually say suits you: Which doesn't normally come across as a priority on hospitality, and watching superstars v lower league players, when attending football games. Just came across as a very different viewpoint than your usual rhetoric.

You cannot possibly equate watching International teams with watching the crooks in in the Prem. As for hospitality, I would treat my wife every week if I could afford it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:40 pm 

Just looked on line for my daughter for Take That and Olly Murs tickets.
Only direct sales not on a standby list are over £200.
That's why Pete wanted a big stadium
His fallback of small crowds was always going to be his normal trade of music promoter.
The bowls use for him is not the viability of a training ground it is a very large music venue which he has being trying to get in on since before the football club started

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:00 pm 

WE SHALL NOT, WE SHALL NOT BE MOVED.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:42 pm 

“Many were increasingly of the opinion that they’d all made a big mistake in coming down from the trees in the first place. And some said that even the trees had been a bad move, and that no one should ever have left the oceans.”
― Douglas Adams

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:31 am 

keyser soze wrote:
WellDon wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
Just waiting for Camdenite to swoop in and say "you do realise that..." :lol:

You don’t think I made this post for any other reason do you ?

:lol:

And a Merry Christmas to you pair of clowns too :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:10 am 

cornerdon26 wrote:
I'd be really intrigued as to whether we'd have had this discussion if we got promoted in 2009.

Brighton got promoted from L1 getting attendances of 6,000-7,300 in a ground that could hold about 8500. 20,000 in first year in Champ then grew. Would we have seen a similar trend? At that time, I'd honestly not have ruled it out.

But it didn't happen. Shit happened, we are where we are. Whilst we can criticise Winky for focusing on other aspects would we have attracted the players or been I'm a financial position to recruit some of our best talent without the added revenue from the stadium? I'm unsure

Brighton always had the core support in the town from the Goldstone days, just thousands of stay away fans who would never have gone to the Withdean or (previously Gillingham) so it was fairly predictable that they would flourish once they finally got the ownership and stadium sorted. The deep pockets of Tony Bloom helped, but probably not to the level they’re at right now. They got the jump on a lot of Championship clubs that are like oil tankers in terms of their recruitment model and structure. Fair play to them.

Similarly, Brentford got “the model” right, but before they left Griffin Park, but again it took deep pockets. Like Brighton there was a lapsed support (Griffin Park once held 40,000!) and ownership issues, but they also managed to galvanise a generation of youngsters who’d been lost to surrounding clubs. I’m not saying they all used to support Chelsea or, to a lesser degree, Fulham, but having a brother who used to go a lot to Brentford, they were very much a “second team” for many. That’s where the increased numbers have come from.

We’re different. The numbers in the population are there in MK, but we’ll always be fighting the geographical pull of London and to a lesser degree the West Midlands and families moving to MK having their own clubs going back to the start of the new town. Only results on the pitch will change that. Though I’d put the caveat that even a promotion this season isn’t going to increase attendances that much. Too much “trust” has been lost in the ownership amongst a significant number for them ever to return as season ticket holders. I know several who jacked it in last summer (some thirty years plus from Plough Lane>Selhurst>Hockey Stadium…). They still go but pick and choose their games. I doubt even Championship football will bring them back as ST holders (they’ll disagree with me and the GroupChat will be pinging, but statistically clubs know that once you lose a season ticket holder the chances of getting them back are slim).

Now that the novelty has worn off there’s a definite sense of “it isn’t going to be the shiny future that Pete thought, is it?”. What’s striking to me is the numbers from those early days who I simply don’t see anymore. In truth, it’s probably normal to have some sort of churn of support, and people’s priorities change, but there are fans you’d see home and away every week, who I never see nowadays. Did their “life priorities” change, did they get disillusioned with the lack of progress as a club, or was it that they were, in the words of our detractors “two club w***ers” who were never really fans in the first place? Probably a mixture of all three, but I still feel that no “proper club” loses those sort of numbers.

The encouraging thing is that there is definitely a younger element going home and especially away, but it’ll be a struggle to keep them as “life priorities” start to take effect. You’d hope they have stronger ties to the club than the teens/early twenties of 2004, but we’ll see.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:21 am 

Should we have moved to.....
Belfast
Apparently new Government papers released today show that a move to Belfast was discussed at the highest level https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/spor ... 50973.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:14 am 

Camdenite wrote:
cornerdon26 wrote:
I'd be really intrigued as to whether we'd have had this discussion if we got promoted in 2009.

Brighton got promoted from L1 getting attendances of 6,000-7,300 in a ground that could hold about 8500. 20,000 in first year in Champ then grew. Would we have seen a similar trend? At that time, I'd honestly not have ruled it out.

But it didn't happen. Shit happened, we are where we are. Whilst we can criticise Winky for focusing on other aspects would we have attracted the players or been I'm a financial position to recruit some of our best talent without the added revenue from the stadium? I'm unsure

Brighton always had the core support in the town from the Goldstone days, just thousands of stay away fans who would never have gone to the Withdean or (previously Gillingham) so it was fairly predictable that they would flourish once they finally got the ownership and stadium sorted. The deep pockets of Tony Bloom helped, but probably not to the level they’re at right now. They got the jump on a lot of Championship clubs that are like oil tankers in terms of their recruitment model and structure. Fair play to them.

Similarly, Brentford got “the model” right, but before they left Griffin Park, but again it took deep pockets. Like Brighton there was a lapsed support (Griffin Park once held 40,000!) and ownership issues, but they also managed to galvanise a generation of youngsters who’d been lost to surrounding clubs. I’m not saying they all used to support Chelsea or, to a lesser degree, Fulham, but having a brother who used to go a lot to Brentford, they were very much a “second team” for many. That’s where the increased numbers have come from.

We’re different. The numbers in the population are there in MK, but we’ll always be fighting the geographical pull of London and to a lesser degree the West Midlands and families moving to MK having their own clubs going back to the start of the new town. Only results on the pitch will change that. Though I’d put the caveat that even a promotion this season isn’t going to increase attendances that much. Too much “trust” has been lost in the ownership amongst a significant number for them ever to return as season ticket holders. I know several who jacked it in last summer (some thirty years plus from Plough Lane>Selhurst>Hockey Stadium…). They still go but pick and choose their games. I doubt even Championship football will bring them back as ST holders (they’ll disagree with me and the GroupChat will be pinging, but statistically clubs know that once you lose a season ticket holder the chances of getting them back are slim).

Now that the novelty has worn off there’s a definite sense of “it isn’t going to be the shiny future that Pete thought, is it?”. What’s striking to me is the numbers from those early days who I simply don’t see anymore. In truth, it’s probably normal to have some sort of churn of support, and people’s priorities change, but there are fans you’d see home and away every week, who I never see nowadays. Did their “life priorities” change, did they get disillusioned with the lack of progress as a club, or was it that they were, in the words of our detractors “two club w***ers” who were never really fans in the first place? Probably a mixture of all three, but I still feel that no “proper club” loses those sort of numbers.

The encouraging thing is that there is definitely a younger element going home and especially away, but it’ll be a struggle to keep them as “life priorities” start to take effect. You’d hope they have stronger ties to the club than the teens/early twenties of 2004, but we’ll see.

Society’s pretty fluid now, many of those youngsters currently going home and away will go to university and probably leave the area. I’ve got two sons who used to go to the Dons. One in particular was very fanatical and hardly missed a game, home or away, for a few seasons. He now lives somewhere else. He’s got mates who went to games with him who have done the same.

Not sure what point I’m trying to make, just sort of explaining why some people drift away.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:59 am 

I suppose that whereas in the days of our generation football played a much bigger part in our lives, there are far more other things available today. We never had the TV coverage or the Internet.
For most men the football or the rugby was the highlight of an otherwise monotonous working week.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:14 am 

I agree with the previous couple of posters.

Lots of things in life are transient.

I moved my life to be in MK for work, managed to see a lightweight 38 out of 46 league games in one season, had a season ticket for 15 years. Then moved 200 miles away.

Still consider my a Dons fan - avidly follow the games on line etc, but very unlikely to visit Stadium MK more than a couple of times.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next