THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:16 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:27 am 

THE MELTDOWN – GRIMSBY TOWN
Whilst I was writing the preview I kept getting these niggling thoughts about “New Manager Bounce”, nobody other than the Wrexham had taken them to the cleaners, losing by the odd goal to teams at the top end of the table, and a few respectable draws, and of course our ability to make a lowly team look good…. but despite all those factors, and mentioning them in the write up, I dismissed them…. wrong, I should have known better, all the ingredients were there.

I found the first half very frustrating, we just never seemed to get anywhere, we were outmuscled, out run, and they very evidently wanted it much more and the whole situation wasn’t helped by a ref that seemed happy to blow up for fouls but had apparently lost his cards, and I honestly feel if he had got a grip on the Grimsby players we would have seen a very different game.

I’m not entirely sure their goal was onside, the lino looked well behind play, but I can’t deny they took the opportunity well, and I further cannot deny they deserved the lead.

The second half was only fractionally better with most of our good stuff coming from the wings, but very often its was taking an age to get the ball into the danger area, and what is it with these corner routines, did any of them work or even create an opportunity.

We were lucky not to go two down as apparently the ball hit our post as once again we struggled to play the ball out, sorry my eyes ain’t that good at that sort of distance, so it that’s wrong the bloke behind me will get it in the neck the next time I see him.

Our goal was smartly put away by livewire Jack Payne who never stopped running all night and trying to make things work, and from drawing level I hoped we would kick on and grab the game by the scruff of the neck, but I don’t really think we did.

Both teams had chances to score with both keepers making saves and one or two timely blocks or clearances from defenders.

Fair play to Willamson he took off Lewie and Grant and tried to go for it bringing on Leko, Eisa and Harrison, but for me the problem was getting hold of the midfield and I would have preferred to leave Grant on and also bring on Devoy. Harrison in my opinion did very little to improve our situation, but at least Leko offered something a bit different and did create a few opportunities.

In the final few minutes both Eisa brothers were presented with golden opportunities to win the game, Mac denied Abo for Grimsby and somehow Mo missed the target from about 7 yards.

So, two points dropped possibly…. well, I’m not so sure, I feel that Grimsby were probably the better team, and we were probably fortunate to pick up a point, but on reflection a draw was possibly about right on a night that both teams felt the points were there for the taking.

It’s not totally a night to feel gloomy as we nudged our way up to 11th with a game in hand on some of those above, 4 points off the playoffs with an unbeaten run stretching now to five games in the league.

There’s still plenty of room for improvement and hopefully Williamson will have learnt a bit more about the team and who he needs to unload in January and in what areas he needs to improve.

I don’t think it’s a case of back to the drawing board, but there are plenty of tweaks to be made before we can think about playoff aspirations.

Bye 4 Now

8-) WD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:17 am 

Last time we drew 1-1 at home to Grimsby we got promoted. All aboard the Keyser Express!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:43 am 

DippyDon wrote:
Last time we drew 1-1 at home to Grimsby we got promoted. All aboard the Keyser Express!

TGGI

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:57 am 

WellDon wrote:

The second half was only fractionally better with most of our good stuff coming from the wings, but very often its was taking an age to get the ball into the danger area, and what is it with these corner routines, did any of them work or even create an opportunity.

8-) WD

https://x.com/lowertiers/status/1727315 ... f9VjepzD1g

Stunned you missed this WellDon.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:52 am 

Camdenite wrote:
WellDon wrote:

8-) WD

https://x.com/lowertiers/status/1727315 ... f9VjepzD1g

Stunned you missed this WellDon.

Did you not know if you cross it in you 100% score...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:50 am 

Optimism now blatantly there for all to see. Reported.