THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fair point
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:08 pm 

Not at our best tonight, and despite Mo missing a late sitter, a point was a fair result. We are heading in the right direction though. Fought and scrapped to stay in the game rather than capitualting like last season. Give this team time under MW and a shrewd Janiary window and we'll be in the play offs come the end of the season. Think autos is out of our reach given the circumstances and some very strong teams in the division.
About time we broke our play off duck anyway

Post subject: Re: Fair point
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:23 pm 

I'm trying to take positives - we were shit for a lot of that game but they put effort in that cannot be questioned.
If we can get a point playing like that, we've done well.

I thought the referee was shocking. I think by and large the refereeing has been pretty good this season - tonight it was horrible officiating all round

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:29 pm 

I dunno, I personally think we are very lucky to come away with anything. Grimsby were by far the better team for the majority of the game and their ability to play through the press killed us. Against Salford we scored 3 of our goals because we won the ball back high. This game was the complete opposite. I don't think they will be scrapping down in the lower reaches of the league table for much longer and I was really Impressed with their pivot (I think Conteh).
On us though. I hope Williamson learns quickly that playing the same team twice in 3 days is not a good idea. It didn't work for alexander and it won't work for him.

I am happy with a point though and we are moving in the right direction.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:59 pm 

The main reason they got a point out of that game was because Grimsby resorted to time wasting as soon as they scored (which the ref did nothing about). Had they carried on playing as they had been I think they would have won that comfortably.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:06 pm 

Also, our atmosphere was shocking by even our standards. I get its cold and we've all had a long day but c'mon.

Except me. Singing is for squares.

If Grimsby spent more time singing for their side than singing about how shit our attendance and atmosphere is, too, they might very well have spurred them onto a win.

My favourite was "shit ground*, shit fans."
Glass houses and stones etc

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:08 pm 

We weren't good tonight. But that's the first time I've seen us play like that under Williamson. This team is certainly heading in the right direction. And we still got a point and moved up the table. It's a bit disappointing, but by no means a disaster.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:26 am 

This might be a fair point but IF we have ambitions to get into play-offs we should be dominating and winning these games

Were 4 games away from half way through the season and in a group of 9 teams trying to get 7th. IMO the top 6 are a bit above the rest and it shows

We could/need to have a great Jan window but this is MK and we don't do spend money. I still thing we are maybe 3 or 4 v good players away from challenging top 3 or closing the gap enough. And were desperate for a cover for Dean. Eisa isnt cutting it imo despite peeps on here saying he will tear this league up. We desperately need young Dean to stay fit
Most likely were stuck in league 2 for another season

BUT we defo have turned the corner after GA's dull offering. We have 2 transfer windows to cull and refresh in readiness for a charge next season IMO

GLA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:05 am 

last night wasnt great but I think we need to be realistic about where we are. 6 weeks ago we lost that comfortably whilst playing awful awful football.

Performances like this are inevitable and to be expected and I expect more to come. We've played some decent stuff under MW and got some decent results but by no means are we suddenly a promotion contending team this season. We have a lot of players not suited to the style MW wants to play and a decent 12 or 13 core squad with good numbers but not necessarily good quality on the bench.

Mo's miss last night is the type of thing that happens when a striker spends weeks on the bench with limited minutes.

In context, against a side that put the kind of shift in that Grimsby did, it was a good result.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:17 am 

I was watching Dean during the warm-up. He scored only 1 in 3 or 4. Pretty much what he does during matches. He’s a long way from being a clinical striker yet. His miss was only slightly off Eisa’s. Gilbey isn’t a clinical goal scorer either, although both of them are brilliant at getting into scoring positions. We need to find a way for Eisa to succeed (or pay for a replacement).

I was encouraged by Leko. He looked like a team player last night. That has been my biggest criticism of him since he joined us, so that is a positive indicator. He and Grant and Devoy all bring something very different. If Leko can consistently do what he did last night, he should be starting.

The officials were dreadful. The highlights don’t show it but I was convinced their goal was a yard or two offside.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:42 am 

Ticks to the two posts above ^^^^