THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:41 am 

THE CAZBAR BIG GAME PREVIEW – GRIMSBY TOWN
Before we get on with the usual preview, I just want to say RIP Terry “El Tel” Venables, he was in my mind one of the greatest managers of the modern era, and certainly one of the better incumbents of the England managers’ job and you can still see today in many teams, including us, traces of how he felt football should be played. It’s a weak link I agree, but the “MK Way” isn’t that far away from the ethos that Venables and Malcolm Allison (ask your Dad) preached back in the mid 70’s and changed football forever.

Back to the preview then……firstly taking a quick look back at the Salford game it becomes ever more evident that we are heading in the right direction. Four excellent goals in the plus column and further displays that players are really enjoying playing under Williamson.

Most players have thrived under his guidance, Dean, Payne, Tomlinson and Grant being great examples of that, sadly though we seem to have left two or three behind with Leko, Dennis, and Mo seemingly struggling, but I think that is mainly down to the attitude of the players having fallen down the pecking order and not being the “Flavour of the Month”, and I think many of us suspect that at least one of those mentioned will be gone in January…my money is on Mo.

So, a good first 3 points on the road and many to come for Willamson, a ground ticked off and a decent noisy following from the MK Army in what was a strange atmosphere at the Peninsula Stadium where the home fans hardly took any active part in the proceedings.

Moving along then, it’s a quick turn round and back to business under the lights at SMK on Tuesday night against Grimsby Town and them under the stewardship of the newly appointed David Artell.

Below is the league record of both clubs, plus our home record, and the away form of the Mariners.

Dons (13th) – P 18, W 7, D 5, L 6, GF 30, GA 26, Pts 26.
Grimsby (21st) – P 19, W 4, D 7, L 8, GF 26, GA 31, Pts 19.
Dons (16th) – P 8, W 4, D 2, L 2, GF 14, GA 10, Pts 14.
Grimsby (22nd) – P 9, W 0, D 4, L 5, GF 11, GA 18, Pts 4.

If you’re paying attention, you will notice that Grimsby have not won on the road this season, and you hardly need me to tell you…. but I will…. we have fallen foul of teams like this in the past…Doncaster Rovers anyone…. if you know, you know, but hopefully that doesn’t happen again.

Back to the stats, below is the league record of Grimsby this season and it doesn’t make for pretty reading, but we should probably note there are a few narrow defeats in there to some of the better teams this season, as usual the most recent game is shown first.

Forest Green 2 Grimsby 2
Doncaster 1 Grimsby 0
Stockport 3 Grimsby 2
Tranmere 2 Grimsby 2
Swindon 2 Grimsby 1
Wrexham 3 Grimsby 0
Bradford 1 Grimsby 1
Walsall 1 Grimsby 1
Notts Co 3 Grimsby 2

The dangers are likely to come from top scorer and former Stevenage striker Danny Rose who has 7 goals to his name so far in 19 appearances, but he missed for reasons unknown the weekend game against Sutton Utd which finished 1-1 so we might have to look further afield. I will then turn my attentions to Donovan Wilson who has a better goals per game ratio with 6 goals in 13 games. Another that might be keen to impress is Abo Eisa, brother of Mo, who seems to have a penchant for spectacular goals but like Mo it’s likely that he is going to have to come off the bench to make an impact.

Completing the check on likely influencers for Grimsby, right midfielder Irishman Gavan Holohan is the top provider this season with 3 assists to his name so far.

As is usual in the previews when I get to look at the opposing manager I was just about to say that the Mariners are currently being overseen by a couple of Caretaker managers and then former Crewe Gaffer David Artell bursts on the scene being appointed yesterday morning.

Former Luxembourg International Artell has been out of work since Aprill 2022 when he was sacked as the Railwayman’s manager following relegation with 4 games still to go. It’s been reported that Artell turned down several LG 2 appointments (possibly even us) and a role at Belgian Club Standard Liege before agreeing to the job of manager at Blundell Park.

Former centre back Artell played 540 games scoring 44 goals for 14 clubs at a moderate level before breaking into a managerial role in 2017 at Crewe where he stayed for 274 games with a record of W 100, D 51, L 123 giving him a Win Ratio of almost 37%. During that time, he oversaw promotion for Crewe finishing 2nd in LG 2 during the 2019/20 season and was also voted as the LG 2 Manager of the Year for the same season.

Historically there isn’t that much in it, but we slightly hold the upper hand, and of course there is that JPT final result in there.

2006/07 – Grimsby 1 Dons 3 (McLeod, Wilbraham 2)
2006/07 – Dons 1 Grimsby 2 (Andrews)
2007/08 – Dons 2 Grimsby 0 (Wilbraham, Wright)
2007/08 – Grimsby 0 Dons 1 (O’Hanlon)
2007/08 – Grimsby 0 Dons 2 (JPT) (Andrews, O’Hanlon)
2018/19 – Dons 1 Grimsby 1 (Simpson)
2018/19 – Grimsby 3 Dons 1 (FAC) (Agard)
2018/19 – Grimsby 1 Dons 0

That’s a record of P 8, W 4, D 1, L 3, GF 11, GA 8.

Looking at the betting the bookies obviously fear “New Manager Bounce” as our favouritism has weakened a little since the new manager news broke, but we are still firm favourites to win.

MK Dons 3/4, Draw 3/1, Grimsby 15/4.

As for a prediction there are a few factors to consider, whilst the Grimsby away form is dire nobody other than Wrexham has really turned them over, most have been by the odd goal, and I’ve already mentioned how we have lost games like this in the past despite being hotly fancied. Then we have the unproven theory of the “New Manager Bounce” which I personally think is rubbish, and I do think Artell’s arrival may be a bit soon to expect an upturn in their form, but I would imagine that a few Mariners players will be keen to impress the new gaffer.

It's a conundrum, but I’m sticking with the lads to win, I don’t think it will be as cosy a victory that some think, but I still feel we will have too much for them.

See you Tonight.

8-) WD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:30 am 

On one hand I feel the same that Grimsby will be a tougher test than the league table suggests. However, I'm starting to believe that this team under MW could be special. I was convinced Salford away was a tough test and would have settled for a point before the game but the lads turned up in a big way in the second half. I'm just about ready to jump back into full scale KTF optimist mode.

A win tonight and I think we are in the running for promotion again. Fire up the engine Keyser, it is time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:23 pm 

Ormeau wrote:
Fire up the engine Keyser, it is time.

Soon, oh silky one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:24 pm 

By tonight we should be somewhere from 8th to still 13th (unless the Accrington and AFC games are postponed). It would require some big scores to actually drop places
I have no idea which is most likely - where did that information come from previously?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:36 pm 

Do we know whether Max has recovered from his injury on Saturday?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:22 pm 

Think this will be a tight game .

New manager of Grimsby will just want to avoid defeat. I think they will sit back, then try and exploit us on set plays where I don’t think we are that good in defending.

One all tonight. Gilbey for us and a scrappy goal from an corner for them :