THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Salford Away
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:01 pm 

What a horrible away ground by the way.

The pub we went to was up there with the worst I'd ever been to, but perhaps just a poor choice on our behalf but we weren't treated with many other options.
The ground itself was alright, with a pretty good away end but the pitch absolutely pitiful. A bottle of Carlsberg sets you back five of His Majesty's finest Stirling Pounds. The burger I had was nearly a fiver itself and had all the quality of a Rustlers microwave option. But meh.

The atmosphere is the key one. It felt what we get (and probably rightly) accused of - soulless and flat. There were some youngsters behind their goal trying their best and good on them, supporting their local side and we know all well how tough that can be let alone with United on your doorstep. So it's not anything against them, hopefully for their benefit they'll grow as a fanbase over time and as we've witnessed, a lot of youngsters from the local area grow from having it be your second team to your first home and away. That's all they can do so fair play. But everyone else in there seemed absolutely unfazed by what they were watching. As if it were just something to do on a Saturday and less so something they were engaged with.

I understand this is all pretty ironic and this could be a comment written by any away fan in our end on most weekends - just an observation on what I witnessed. Not in a rush to go back to that one.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

Post subject: Re: Salford Away
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:52 pm 

Alby39 wrote:

The pub we went to was up there with the worst I'd ever been to, but perhaps just a poor choice on our behalf but we weren't treated with many other options.
The ground itself was alright, with a pretty good away end but the pitch absolutely pitiful. A bottle of Carlsberg sets you back five of His Majesty's finest Stirling Pounds. The burger I had was nearly a fiver itself and had all the quality of a Rustlers microwave option. But meh.

The atmosphere is the key one. It felt what we get (and probably rightly) accused of - soulless and flat. There were some youngsters behind their goal trying their best and good on them, supporting their local side and we know all well how tough that can be let alone with United on your doorstep. So it's not anything against them, hopefully for their benefit they'll grow as a fanbase over time and as we've witnessed, a lot of youngsters from the local area grow from having it be your second team to your first home and away. That's all they can do so fair play. But everyone else in there seemed absolutely unfazed by what they were watching. As if it were just something to do on a Saturday and less so something they were engaged with.

I understand this is all pretty ironic and this could be a comment written by any away fan in our end on most weekends - just an observation on what I witnessed. Not in a rush to go back to that one.

And to top the day off, KFC screwed you around.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:18 pm 

That well and truly klucked me off

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:50 pm 

Salford are and will always be a non league fan base with a league 2 budget. Even if they got to league one and above it would be hard to get fans in. It's a rugby league city primarily.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:29 pm 

I can see a world in which they do well between L1/L2 and the young fanbase grows up and gets bored of going to United once a month or so and gets into the habit of Salford week in and out, but you can tell that the majority there weren't emotionally invested

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:00 pm 

Very friendly stewards though, to be fair.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:23 pm 

Alby39 wrote:

Completely echo this. Was up there with the most "Soulless" match day experience I've witnessed. I didn't even notice one song from their fans all game. As you said, It was almost as if it was something to do to pass some time on a Saturday. Devoid of any passion. It's a by-product of how quickly the club has gone up the leagues without the fan base organically growing with them.

It's a tough gigg for any club within the Manchester area. You really are spoilt for choice.

Rochdale
Bury
Oldham
Stockport
United
City
Altrincham
Curzon Ashton

Then you've got Wigan and Bolton round the corner.

They may grow into something bigger, but I can't see them going beyond the EFL.

You should have got the chips and Graveeeh. You wouldn't have been disappointed.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:41 pm 

As I said, it just felt what we get accused of regularly. Just in a smaller and tighter stadium.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:51 pm 

BuckDon wrote:
Alby39 wrote:

Completely echo this. Was up there with the most "Soulless" match day experience I've witnessed. I didn't even notice one song from their fans all game. As you said, It was almost as if it was something to do to pass some time on a Saturday. Devoid of any passion. It's a by-product of how quickly the club has gone up the leagues without the fan base organically growing with them.

It's a tough gigg for any club within the Manchester area. You really are spoilt for choice.

Rochdale
Bury
Oldham
Stockport

United
City
Altrincham
Curzon Ashton

Then you've got Wigan and Bolton round the corner.

What a lovely part of Olde England to live. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:51 am 

I didnt go to this one but my lad did. He was looking forward to it as a new ground for him but he said it was really disappointing. He didnt have the problem with a dodgy pub as he has a mate in uni up there and went to some decent places beforehand but told me the actual match experience was quite poor.

Limited atmosphere with only a few of theirs trying to get anything going which he felt made the Dons crowd a bit flat as well as nothing to bounce off.

Team played ok in parts apparently and another win on the road so not all bad