THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:43 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:24 pm 

THE MELTDOWN – SALFORD CITY
As the actress said to the bishop, this won’t be a long one.

There is very little to moan about in honesty and was a decent day out at a tidy if not compact ground.

It was nice to see a decent vocal following into virgin territory with the added news Skip was back in harness. Unusually for me I felt fairly relaxed prior to kick off and the confidence increased when the baby faced assassin smashed the ball into the roof of the net to give us the lead and put him on the top of the pile as our top scorer this season.

As you would expect Salford rallied after that and I didn’t feel we had much control and it got really ragged and it took a superb save at the foot of the post by Mac to deny Salford dangerman Matt Smith.

We seemed to settle again after that until a stray pass by Lewie was intercepted and sent out wide to McLennan who fired in one of those horrible crosses across the six yard box….now I’m told by those standing directly behind the goal Mac shouted “Leave It”, but then he committed the cardinal sin for keepers, he decided to come for it and changed his mind, and it allowed the speedy N’Mai to sneak in at the back post and head it home.

Things though were to get worse before the break and two minutes into injury time Norman appeared to have kept N’Mai away from our goal and knocked the ball behind for a corner and much to everyone’s disbelief the ref awarded a penalty. I’ve looked at it several times and it appears that N’Mai kicked the leg that Norman cleared the ball with, never a penalty, never ever. Former Don Ryan Watson sent Mac the wrong way from the spot and patted the Salford badge in front of the Dons fans during his celebration, which wasn’t that well received.

According to the gaffer the players were severely pissed off to have gone behind in this fashion …my words not his…and it really showed as Salford barely got a look in after that.

Lewie atoning from his blunder to allow Salford to level in the first half won the ball back on half way and found Dean who tried to steamroller through their defence, the ball broke to Gilbey, he took a touch and slipped it out wide to Tomlinson who also took a touch then fired it through the keepers’ legs to draw us level.

I thought after that we pretty much had the wind in our sails, Salford were out of ideas with Smith being kept quiet and starting to look heavy legged and falling deeper in defence as Dean, Payne, Grant and Willaims just kept battering into their midfield, and it looked inevitable that sooner or later we would break through and it was Tommo again, this time lashing it past the keeper as he reacted quickest to a lose ball in the box…….incidentally that was a left leg, right leg combo from Tommo who looks equally at home with both feet.

Salford looked beaten right here and it couldn’t have done their confidence much good to see a trickle of their fans turning and heading out of the ground, and by the time sub Harrison sealed the deal late into normal time, it had become a fire drill. Incidentally watch that last goal again as Harrison’s standing leg gives way just as he is striking it, and then he stands their stunned it’s gone in and doesn’t know what to do in celebration…well he wasn’t the only one shocked.

Not much left to say really, I’m not bothered too much about their goals, the first was an error by Lewie compounded by Mac’s indecision and the call to leave it, and the other one was a comedy penalty by a first year graduate ref…..it happens, but what was so pleasing was our determination to right the wrong in the best way possible and go and win the game.

There is no doubt that the players now are in a good place, physically, mentally, and tactically, they know what they are doing and doing it well and play as a formidable outfit, and more importantly they believe and trust the manager, and if you couldn’t see it then, you surely see it now that Alexander was not the right man, and the players clearly didn’t want to play for him, he had to go.

We now sit 3 points outside the playoffs, still in 13th but in a very congested midfield where one or two wins can propel you quickly up the table.
We face Grimsby on Tuesday night at SMK, a team who are winless on the road in the league, but it should be noted lost several times by the odd goal and against some high flying opposition.

On paper we should win but I think its going to be more of a battle than people think.

See You Tuesday for the preview.

Until Then.

PS – Choooooo, Chooooooo.

8-)
WD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:46 pm 

It is nice to have this positive WellDon back!

I have to say I'm glad I woke set a 4am alarm for this one. Really enjoyed it.

Whilst Lewington may have played his part in their first goal, he really added a level of composure and confidence into the back line. His deft header back to Woz late on and an superb piece of control after Salford punted long show how good he can be on the ball. I think Woz benefited from him too.

The midfield absolutely worked their socks off, my only complaint is I'd like them to show a little more confidence around the edge of the box. Sometimes we looked for an extra unnecessary pass to try and set up a Man City-esque perfect cut back goal or rushing shots when they are not on. But that is me being picky and shows how far we have come from the GA days if that is all I can moan about.

Also shout out to Payne who pushed Harrison to celebrate in front of our fans. He's not had the best times so far, hopefully that can be a moment for him to push on. The idea of having him up there holding up the ball/causing distractions with Dean running off him could work well going forward if he can get that cheeky confidence back he had at Bristol Rovers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:13 am 

cornerdon26 wrote:

I have to say I'm glad I woke set a 4am alarm for this one. Really enjoyed it.

Whilst Lewington may have played his part in their first goal, he really added a level of composure and confidence into the back line. His deft header back to Woz late on and an superb piece of control after Salford punted long show how good he can be on the ball. I think Woz benefited from him too.

The midfield absolutely worked their socks off, my only complaint is I'd like them to show a little more confidence around the edge of the box. Sometimes we looked for an extra unnecessary pass to try and set up a Man City-esque perfect cut back goal or rushing shots when they are not on. But that is me being picky and shows how far we have come from the GA days if that is all I can moan about.

Also shout out to Payne who pushed Harrison to celebrate in front of our fans. He's not had the best times so far, hopefully that can be a moment for him to push on. The idea of having him up there holding up the ball/causing distractions with Dean running off him could work well going forward if he can get that cheeky confidence back he had at Bristol Rovers

To be honest it’s hard not to be anything other than positive. You can see every game a few more bits of the puzzle falling into place.
Life under GA was appalling, it was a depressing difficult watch even when we were winning and you could see sooner or later his luck would runout……and it did.
I know some people don’t agree with booing the team and manager, but something had to be done.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:21 am 

We look a very decent team and we are a real pleasure to watch under this manager. Let’s face it, we had a season and a third of absolute rubbish from May 2022 up to October 2023, arguably the worst period in our history ending with our lowest ever position when the wretched Alexander got his marching orders. I would have taken any sort of change to be honest as we were just falling and falling for that period, but it is going so well under this manager.

We are going to be right up there this season if we can keep our key players fit and keep the manager from being nicked by another club. I have a feeling this manager is destined for big things in the game, it looks like a master stroke by whoever came up with his name as a hire.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:42 am 

WellDon wrote:

We seemed to settle again after that until a stray pass by Lewie was intercepted and sent out wide to McLennan who fired in one of those horrible crosses across the six yard box….now I’m told by those standing directly behind the goal Mac shouted “Leave It”, but then he committed the cardinal sin for keepers, he decided to come for it and changed his mind, and it allowed the speedy N’Mai to sneak in at the back post and head it home.

8-)
WD

Knowing that there is no such thing, I looked back at the replay and was relieved to see that it was the otherwise excellent Conor Grant failing to control a simple pass under a slight bit of pressure that led to to loss of possession and eventual goal.

Lewie’s in the clear on that one m’lud. :lol:

As for the shout of “leave it” it could have come from anyone in that six yard box, but CM’s the most likely culprit.

Last edited by Camdenite on Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:45 am 

Camdenite wrote:
WellDon wrote:

8-)
WD

Knowing that there is no such thing, I looked back at the replay and was relieved to see that it was the otherwise excellent Conor Grant failing to control a simple pass under a slight bit of pressure that led to to loss of possession and eventual goal.

Lewie’s in the clear on that one m’lud. :lol:

I stand corrected…..case dismissed…….although I have to claim an unreliable witness stitched me up.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:01 am 

Quote:

I wouldn't go quite that far. ;)