THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: A Question of Ownership
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:36 pm 

Hopefully someone with a better understanding of these things can shed some light on an article I read today.
It was an article regarding City Group who own 11 football clubs around the world, including the Belgian club Lommel SK who we got Liam Manning from.
My question then……how can they own 11 clubs, when Pete told us Red Bull were blocked from purchasing us…….am I missing something ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:48 pm 

WellDon wrote:
Hopefully someone with a better understanding of these things can shed some light on an article I read today.
It was an article regarding City Group who own 11 football clubs around the world, including the Belgian club Lommel SK who we got Liam Manning from.
My question then……how can they own 11 clubs, when Pete told us Red Bull were blocked from purchasing us…….am I missing something ?

You can own a hundred clubs if they are in different countries . In British football it is one club per owner.

https://khelnow.com/football/2023-02-wo ... d-to-know#

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:57 pm 

familymkdonsfan wrote:
WellDon wrote:

You can own a hundred clubs if they are in different countries . In British football it is one club per owner.

So the question stands, why were Red Bull blocked ?, I’m not aware of them owning another club in Britain.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:06 pm 

WellDon wrote:
familymkdonsfan wrote:
WellDon wrote:

So the question stands, why were Red Bull blocked ?, I’m not aware of them owning another club in Britain.

Nothing to do with Britain. Its a Uefa rule. You cannot own two clubs that could potentially play in the same competition, regardless of how unlikely that is.

Thats the rule and why the deal was blocked.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:16 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
WellDon wrote:
familymkdonsfan wrote:
WellDon wrote:

Nothing to do with Britain. Its a Uefa rule. You cannot own two clubs that could potentially play in the same competition, regardless of how unlikely that is.

Red Bull Salzburg (Austria)
Red Bull Leipzig (Germany)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:25 pm 

WellDon wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
WellDon wrote:
familymkdonsfan wrote:
WellDon wrote:

Do we know when RB wanted to buy us? Looks like an exception was made judging by an article posted for Salzburg and Leipzig. Perhaps the offer to buy us came before then, when Uefa were unwilling to make exceptions?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:33 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
WellDon wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
WellDon wrote:
familymkdonsfan wrote:
WellDon wrote:

Do we know when RB wanted to buy us? Looks like an exception was made judging by an article posted for Salzburg and Leipzig. Perhaps the offer to buy us came before then, when Uefa were unwilling to make exceptions?

No idea….all seems a bit fuzzy to me, was there a three man commission that said…..no more ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:50 am 

Like all of these football rules that the governing bodies apply it is inconsistent, you have to grease palms and curry favour with the right (wrong) people to get what you want. If you play with a straight bat you won't get what you want, for example have a look at any British/English World Cup bid!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:35 am 

MKAylesburyDon wrote:
Like all of these football rules that the governing bodies apply it is inconsistent, you have to grease palms and curry favour with the right (wrong) people to get what you want. If you play with a straight bat you won't get what you want, for example have a look at any British/English World Cup bid!

Completely agreed. I’ve always felt the “Red Bull deal was blocked” comment is a bit of a red herring. If RB had really wanted us then they would have made it happen.

I suspect it had more to do with what they were actually proposing to buy. They’re not in the business of running hotels, arena’s, property development etc. We’ll never really know the truth.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:39 am 

WellDon wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:

No idea….all seems a bit fuzzy to me, was there a three man commission that said…..no more ?

It was definitely post reformation of Leipzig (2009) and Salzburg (2005). I think was most likely the Championship season, but nothing to confirm that.