THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:19 pm 

Isn’t the fact bulls hate red bullshit anyway?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:01 pm 

dons50 wrote:
CleanDon wrote:
Have we ever thought that Pete could have made this up?

For what purpose?

To stop people asking about Redbull

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:52 pm 

Why would Red Bull want MK?

Well, a stones throw from the HQ of its F1 team, narratively itself that sells a product as a whole.
A big stadium with plenty to do in terms of uplift, the shell of the stadium is there but change the seats to blue, tallow and red and its an RB product just by a stadium's design.
No worries of building one or planning permission bollocks.
A white kit, which already avoids the Salzburg problem of violet to white and red.
A team with comparatively little tradition to mess with.
A fanbase young enough to accept change and embrace without fuss.
A club name that is already unpopular in football, MK:RB would be welcomed by some and laughed at in equal measure by those that detest the Dons title.
A club that prides itself on young talent, the RB model also doing so.
The biggest one - being in the English Pyramid System. The higher divisions being an investment dream if things go well... thus making the merry-go-round of the model another platform for development in a strong group of divisions.
A team already hated so no worry about rocking the boat.

There's many reasons why we are ideal. Doesn't mean it should happen.

I don't think it ever will but I certainly feel whoever comes next will make big changes, some of which Winkelbot won't be able to control once the keys are handed over... which is what he's very fearful of if we're to believe him.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:07 am 

WellDon wrote:
Hopefully someone with a better understanding of these things can shed some light on an article I read today.
It was an article regarding City Group who own 11 football clubs around the world, including the Belgian club Lommel SK who we got Liam Manning from.
My question then……how can they own 11 clubs, when Pete told us Red Bull were blocked from purchasing us…….am I missing something ?

I've got zero knowledge but my guess is if UEFA blocked it it is because of a fear over what a Red Bull team could achieve in England. UEFA wants to keep the big historical names happy, they bring the prestige and viewers. Leipzig have certainly put pressure on Bayern and managed some solid runs in Europe but Salzburg realistically has a limit. Red Bull in England? Now you've got the potential for something big like Man City.

I'm not sure exactly how Leipzig/Salzburg get around their involvement in Europe, but most clubs who own other teams almost want the clubs to remain smaller to use them as a feeder club/scouting network/work permits etc. Red Bull MK would want to be big, UEFA probably don't want that. Now the FA probably doesn't either, unless the appoint a small panel...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:32 am 

Isn’t the thing with Leipzig that technically it isn’t actually Red Bull? They’ve got the whole 50+1 thing over there and they did some creative naming as it’s not Red Bull Leipzig, it’s RasenBallsport Leipzig. Their whole thing with UEFA a few years back basically led to changes behind the scenes to comply with rules along with stricter rules being put in place (if my brief google searches this morning is accurate)

Now I’m not sure how it works with the City Group, but for RB at least there’s some legal deniability.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:22 am 

cornerdon26 wrote:
WellDon wrote:
Hopefully someone with a better understanding of these things can shed some light on an article I read today.
It was an article regarding City Group who own 11 football clubs around the world, including the Belgian club Lommel SK who we got Liam Manning from.
My question then……how can they own 11 clubs, when Pete told us Red Bull were blocked from purchasing us…….am I missing something ?

I've got zero knowledge but my guess is if UEFA blocked it it is because of a fear over what a Red Bull team could achieve in England. UEFA wants to keep the big historical names happy, they bring the prestige and viewers. Leipzig have certainly put pressure on Bayern and managed some solid runs in Europe but Salzburg realistically has a limit. Red Bull in England? Now you've got the potential for something big like Man City.

I'm not sure exactly how Leipzig/Salzburg get around their involvement in Europe, but most clubs who own other teams almost want the clubs to remain smaller to use them as a feeder club/scouting network/work permits etc. Red Bull MK would want to be big, UEFA probably don't want that. Now the FA probably doesn't either, unless the appoint a small panel...

I'm not sure that conspiracy adds up.
It was pretty obvious as soon as the purchases of Chelsea (Abramovich era), Man City and Newcastle happened that those clubs would be able to start competing with 'big historical teams'. And there were valid ethical reasons to deny all those purchases. If it was all a conspiracy to 'keep' the historical teams happy, then those purchases would have been denied long before the big clubs worried about possible Red Bull MK threat.

As regards the ownership of multiple clubs - God knows how it works. I've long since been frustrated why the likes of Watford could do so many 'in deals' with Udinese and Granada. That helped them get promoted from the championship as they had loads of loans from those clubs who were in Serie A and La Liga at that stage. As for City being able to own so many clubs - that reeks of a recipe for in deals, money laundering, bending FFP rules, etc. Why it's allowed I've no idea.

The restrictions on multi ownership certainly seem to have been relaxed over the years. Although when Rangers were in financial trouble, Mike Ashley tried to buy a stake in them but wasn't allowed because he also owned Newcastle at that point as well. Why he couldn't own two when, at the same time, Watford and City owners own more, again, I don't know? Maybe different FA's have different rules? The UEFA thing might just be more about whether they'd be allowed in European competitions at the same time, rather than whether they can own them all in the first place?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:49 am 

Alby39 wrote:

Well, a stones throw from the HQ of its F1 team, narratively itself that sells a product as a whole.
A big stadium with plenty to do in terms of uplift, the shell of the stadium is there but change the seats to blue, tallow and red and its an RB product just by a stadium's design.
A white kit, which already avoids the Salzburg problem of violet to white and red.
A club name that is already unpopular in football, MK:RB would be welcomed by some and laughed at in equal measure by those that detest the Dons title.
The biggest one - being in the English Pyramid System. The higher divisions being an investment dream if things go well... thus making the merry-go-round of the model another platform for development in a strong group of divisions.

I don't think it ever will but I certainly feel whoever comes next will make big changes, some of which Winkelbot won't be able to control once the keys are handed over... which is what he's very fearful of if we're to believe him.

Come on Alby, are you seriously suggesting that because the F1 team are down the road, we play in white, have no history to speak of and we have young players (largely because we cant afford established ones) would be compelling reasons for Redbull to buy the club and the nonsense that surrounds it?

Christ, if we are that attractive to them, why arent they even a minor sponsor?

If those are your criteria, then why arent Santander chomping at the bit to buy the club, a lot of the criteria are exactly the same?

If getting in the english pyramid is so important, then I suggest there are much better options than us. Manchester Utd for one along with any other number of clubs who would happily take the coin.

Im not seeing it at all and think its just more Winkelman bullshit, designed primarily to baffle brains

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:57 am 

Magpie wrote:
Alby39 wrote:

Come on Alby, are you seriously suggesting that because the F1 team are down the road, we play in white, have no history to speak of and we have young players (largely because we cant afford established ones) would be compelling reasons for Redbull to buy the club and the nonsense that surrounds it?

Christ, if we are that attractive to them, why arent they even a minor sponsor?

If those are your criteria, then why arent Santander chomping at the bit to buy the club, a lot of the criteria are exactly the same?

If getting in the english pyramid is so important, then I suggest there are much better options than us. Manchester Utd for one along with any other number of clubs who would happily take the coin.

Im not seeing it at all and think its just more Winkelman bullshit, designed primarily to baffle brains

Talk of Red Bull was a genuine thing about 7 or 8 years ago around the Championship relegation time, and I highly doubt PW was lying so carefully behind the scenes just so he could plant a genuine seed for when things went tits up and fans started questioning him.

It was a while ago so I may be misremembering, but I think I heard at the time that it was easier to buy a lower league club or they wanted to take on a project like they did with Leipzig. Leeds was the other option I remember seeing mentioned since but it was something like that was considered too expensive and a L1/2 club would be seen as a more enticing opportunity, and if they want an English football club then of course it makes sense to link it to their current successful base of sporting operations.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:33 pm 

Quote:

But apart from all that why would they possibly want to buy us? ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:47 pm 

Aliramone wrote:
Quote:

But apart from all that why would they possibly want to buy us? ;)

The roads?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next