THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: WINKLEBOT KLAXON!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:49 am 

Gers wrote:
As a professional cynic, I thought that was pretty cool.

"Let's not talk about Lewie"... "No let's". That was brilliant. He as much as admitted that he cocked up the last appointment. How many of us in a similar situation would the same? I was more than happy to hear him talking about the MK 'way', whatever that is. He realises that this time he had to act quickly, and has.

And ask yourself how many other chairmen would be so effusive towards your next opponent? That's how it's done. With a touch of class. Not leaving your opponent's name off the programme.

He's convinced me that footy's better than fencing. I'm going Saturday. And congrats on the grandson.

He is however, gradually turning into a Cardassian from Star Trek.

I had an even worse thought...started to get worried he is slowly morphing into Tony Blair...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:53 am 

What a man. I hope he’s reading this and has a breather. I have no doubts he’s felt a lot of pressure and stress. It’s weirdly been a good week. Despite the relegation zone drop and a defeat to a rival, he has a new grandchild and a new management team and the fans inside. It’s all looking bright and I hope he realises the fans still love him. We have a weird core of fans constantly asking him to sell up like it’ll definitely be rosey on the other side. Imagine we sold up and had the Robbie Neilson of ownership? Look at Coventry, Newcastle, Birmingham, Blackpool... I bet they’d love a man like Winkelman. I reiterate that some are proper weird.

He’s a genuine bloke and a great chairman. We’ll miss him when he goes. Mark my words.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:10 pm 
BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Don Direction wrote:
He is actually following Filthy's plan.

Well, considering FD's one of the very few on here who've been questioning whether PW should step down, and we are are all just posting how much we love him, then let's hope he doesn't follow all that FD writes. ;)
As he didn't with the choice of manager: complete opposite of an experienced one.
But don't mind if he follows most of the rest of the plan. Just so long as FD's backtracking on the calls that PW's lost it and should step down. He still seems to have it as far as I can see.

Well he did go with Keith Millen as assistant, and he is very experienced.

Pete is a very good talker and charismatic, and that seems to attract people and convince them he is some sort of deity who can do no wrong and whose decision making is always right. Despite this, he has often admitted he has made mistakes. It's easy to think someone is good at their job because you like them.

I think this appointment of Micciche/Millen/Lewie is Pete's last chance with left field/unconventional appointments. I think it will work out well though - I like the mix of unconventional and experience. But if it doesn't and we end up relegated and floundering in the bottom half of League Two next year, then I think either Pete will lose patience himself and find a way out, or fans will start to doubt his suitability due to a track record of poor decision making. The risk here is that he doesn't have an experienced number 1 to get us out of relegation. I think it will pay off though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:21 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:
Don Direction wrote:

Well, considering FD's one of the very few on here who've been questioning whether PW should step down, and we are are all just posting how much we love him, then let's hope he doesn't follow all that FD writes. ;)
As he didn't with the choice of manager: complete opposite of an experienced one.
But don't mind if he follows most of the rest of the plan. Just so long as FD's backtracking on the calls that PW's lost it and should step down. He still seems to have it as far as I can see.

Well he did go with Keith Millen as assistant, and he is very experienced.

Pete is a very good talker and charismatic, and that seems to attract people and convince them he is some sort of deity who can do no wrong and whose decision making is always right. Despite this, he has often admitted he has made mistakes. It's easy to think someone is good at their job because you like them.

I think this appointment of Micciche/Millen/Lewie is Pete's last chance with left field/unconventional appointments. I think it will work out well though - I like the mix of unconventional and experience. But if it doesn't and we end up relegated and floundering in the bottom half of League Two next year, then I think either Pete will lose patience himself and find a way out, or fans will start to doubt his suitability due to a track record of poor decision making. The risk here is that he doesn't have an experienced number 1 to get us out of relegation. I think it will pay off though.

I have come to the conclusion that you are either Dan Micciche or Dean Lewington and I claim my £10 reward. :D

Last edited by ReturnofMoo on Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:22 pm 

I don't get what is so special about this video? I understand we're lucky to have a personable and approachable chairman, and he appears to have the clubs best interests at heart. But this video has been solely put together to get the whiners back onside and most importantly putting £'s through the turnstiles. In all honesty I think it's quite sad that as the man who is the reason the club is here feels he has to come out and answer questions after just 1 genuinely poor season (in Champ we we were always punching above our weight). All you have to do is look towards the boycott end on Saturday to see what having bad owners is all about. So next time anyone feels the need to call for him to go, or 'get the wallet out' please take a step back from the keyboard and weigh up the pro's and cons of Winkie, IMO there are far more Pro's.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:23 pm 

Otterspocket wrote:
I don't get what is so special about this video? I understand we're lucky to have a personable and approachable chairman, and he appears to have the clubs best interests at heart. But this video has been solely put together to get the whiners back onside and most importantly putting £'s through the turnstiles. In all honesty IMO I think it's quite sad that as the man who is the reason the clubs is here feels he has to come out and answer questions after just 1 genuinely poor season (in Champ we we were always punching above our weight). All you have to do is look towards the boycott end on Saturday to see what having bad owners is all about. So next time anyone feels the need to call for him to go, or 'get the wallet out' please take a step back from the keyboard and weigh up the pro's and cons of Winkie, IMO there are far more Pro's.

Isn't it just the communication people have been asking for? :?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:29 pm 
ReturnofMoo wrote:
Otterspocket wrote:
I don't get what is so special about this video? I understand we're lucky to have a personable and approachable chairman, and he appears to have the clubs best interests at heart. But this video has been solely put together to get the whiners back onside and most importantly putting £'s through the turnstiles. In all honesty IMO I think it's quite sad that as the man who is the reason the clubs is here feels he has to come out and answer questions after just 1 genuinely poor season (in Champ we we were always punching above our weight). All you have to do is look towards the boycott end on Saturday to see what having bad owners is all about. So next time anyone feels the need to call for him to go, or 'get the wallet out' please take a step back from the keyboard and weigh up the pro's and cons of Winkie, IMO there are far more Pro's.

I hope it continues and improves further. I like these interviews with Pete, even if its just PR spin most of the time with his answers.

Would like to see a lot more from the social media side of things though. Starting with sorting out the quality of the videos, still loads of spelling/grammar issues.

The club need a bit more content - bring back the alternate angles for goals, create some new segments/videos to show a bit more behind the scenes/interaction with the players and staff to create interest etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:29 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:
Don Direction wrote:

I think this appointment of Micciche/Millen/Lewie is Pete's last chance with left field/unconventional appointments.

Of course it isn't. It's his club, he's got as many chances as he wants.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:37 pm 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
Otterspocket wrote:

I would have thought the action of changing the manager and having interviews with him, his assistant and new 1st team player coach would do? Did he really drop any bombshells? what questions were actually answered? BTW I wasn't criticising Winkie, more the fan bases sense of entitlement to 'Answers'. We're very very lucky we get as much engagement as we do, but like it or not we're not entitled to answers regarding the running of the business, And he should not feel the need to talk about behind the scenes issues, no matter how diplomatic he was talking about them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:38 pm 
dons50 wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:
Don Direction wrote:

I think this appointment of Micciche/Millen/Lewie is Pete's last chance with left field/unconventional appointments.

Of course it isn't. It's his club, he's got as many chances as he wants.

You need to stop thinking that he is immune to supporter pressure, when he clearly isn't as supporter pressure lead to Neilson's dismissal, and lead to him giving a 30 minute video interview to respond to fan concerns a couple of months ago.

If enough people were calling for him to move on, it's in Pete's character to step aside. Not leave the club entirely, but leave the decision making to someone more experienced. Pete isn't the arrogant type and wants to keep supporters onside.

Not going to get into another debate about it, but I think you need to reassess your own views on what managers/owners are capable of - you've clearly got Pete figured out wrong. You were pretty sure he wouldn't sack Neilson until the end of the season, you thought he should have given him longer and that things would turn around but Pete got rid.

You have this idea that managers should be given years, and that Pete knows how to run a club perfectly and can do no wrong - when he has admitted several mistakes in the past. He has some experience now, but he is nowhere near as experienced as most football club chairmen.

At the end of the day, Pete is a very nice charismatic guy, who has a track record of mixed to poor decision making. There will be a time when Pete will step aside either through his own decision or pressured by supporters. If this appointment is a failure, I could see that happening - either he will have had enough himself, or supporters will lose trust. Can you really say that if Pete wasn't a nice guy, or wasn't as friendly/approachable, that fans wouldn't have questioned his suitability by now? It is ignorant to think that supporters have no say at all, as I think the opposite was demonstrated on Saturday evening.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next