THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:54 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:17 am 

THE CAZBAR FA CUP PREVIEW – READING
It’s hard not to get carried away with our dramatic change in form but I don’t think I’m alone when I say I’m cautious as we all know how quickly it can all go wrong, none of us want it to, but after 18 months or so of turgid football it’s understandable we are not talking about that little word “promotion”, there is a long way to go, and plenty of time to get excited.

The last two games have been like a breath of fresh air with warm undertones of RussBall and Manning Ball thrown in for good measure, you can’t deny it, we all recognise this brand of football and long may it continue.

The transformation in some of the player has been remarkable and whilst Williamson has given the players all the credit, you can’t help thinking he has just released them from their shackles and said to them just go out and play and enjoy yourself and many have embraced it, but it seems by the reaction of Mo on Tuesday some haven’t taken to it that well.

Mo has served us well with some important goals in the past, but he has to realise now that Max Dean is the flavour of the month, and if he is going to get a regular start he’s got grasp his opportunity when it comes and stop feigning injury as it’s wearing a bit thin now.

This weekend we have a rest from the league campaign and take a trip down to Reading and the Car Leasing Stadium, or the Madejski as many of us call it to face them in the FA Cup in a game that looked unappealing when it was first drawn out, but thanks to our upturn in form, and their decline it seems to have caught peoples imagination as we go in search of a “Giant Killing”….thats me bigging it up by the way, if we do manage to beat them I can’t see it being splattered across the back pages of the nationals on Sunday.

Form and anything logical goes out of the window in the FA Cup but for the record below is the league record of Reading, plus their home league results` with the most recent fixture shown first.

Reading (24th) – P 14, W 3, D 1, L 10, GF 12, GA 24, Pts 6.
Reading (H) (15th) – P 7, W 3, D 1, L 3, GF 8, GA 7, Pts 10

Please note Reading have suffered a 4 point deduction for failing to pay player wages on time.

Reading 2 Portsmouth 3
Reading 1 Fleetwood 2
Reading 0 Burton Albion 0
Reading 2 Bolton 1
Reading 2 Stevenage 0
Reading 1 Cheltenham 0
Reading 0 Peterborough 1

One thing that does make you take a second glance is their record in the PJT…. ok so it’s not a recognised indicator of form as most team’s field sides that have gone through multiple changes, and Reading have done the same in both their games, largely playing Under 21’s, so it is somewhat of a surprise they have won their two games 5- 0 at home to Swindon, and 9-0 away to Exeter. In addition, they have won 4-0 at Millwall in the EFL Cup, and only lost in the 2nd Rd after pens at home to Ipswich.

The man in charge at Reading (well for the time being) is Spaniard Ruben Selles, and he says he doesn’t fear for his job, and to some degree I can see why as the owner seems to be the hate figure in the fan’s eyes. Chinese businessman Dai Yongge and his sister are in control but want out now as fan pressure mounts, with mass protests and a catchy little slogan to aid their cause “Sell Before We Dai”. I’m not sure if the fans have anything planned for this game but don’t be shocked if you see a couple of hundred tennis balls make it onto the pitch. Apparently there is a fair bit of interest to buy the club and the news on Tuesday that HMRC have issued a winding up order for unpaid taxes might speed the process along, for the record Reading have had 4 previous winding up orders…. business as usual then.

Anyway, back to Selles…. this is his third stint in charge in this country, one game with Southampton as a Caretaker, then he got the job 3 months later but only managed a further 17 games and the Saints refused to renew his short term contract.

The following month on completion of his Work Visa Application Selles was appointed manager at Reading and has been in charge since the start of the season with a record of P 18, W 6, D 2, L 10 with a 33% Win Ratio, but his career stats are much worse standing at just 22% and a record of P 36, W 8, D 7, L 21.

Top scorer for Reading is 6ft 3in Nigerian born Kelvin Ehibhatiomhan with 5 goals this season and the top assists man is former Cambridge Utd striker Harvey Knibbs with just the two.

There’s not much to be learnt from our previous history with just the three games to report, two from our Championship season and a League Cup clash in the same season.

2015/16 – Reading 0 Dons 0
2015/16 – Dons 1 Reading 0 (Walsh)
2015/16 – Reading 2 Dons 2 (LC) (Bowditch, Tshimanga)

In the League Cup game, it was 1-1 after 90 minutes, then Reading scored 6 minutes from the end of extra time but Tshimanga forced pens with a late strike. Just to jog your memory we lost 4-2 on pens as misses from Carruthers and Reeves sealed our fate despite Nicholls saving the 4th penalty.

The betting is an interesting one, Reading have lost their last 5 in the league, the atmosphere around the Madejski is toxic and getting worse every day yet we are very attractively priced despite our uplift in form.

Reading 21/20, Draw 11/4, Dons 11/4.

As for a prediction, it’s going to be a case of what sort of teams both managers are going to field, if Reading look to the kids and we field a strong team I really fancy us to get a victory, but I think MW will probably try to shoehorn one or two back in and rest the likes of Max Dean, I really hope not, as I think we have a chance, but rest assured if he does rest players and changes are needed during the game he will not hesitate to bring subs on unlike Alexander who used to sit on his hands until it was too late.

A bit of team news for you, Ash Hunter has suffered a setback and needs another scan on his injury, and the New Year looks a more realistic target for his return. Ethan Robson is a doubt after picking up a knock in training and also needs a scan, but good news that Lewie completed his first full training session this week, and providing there is no reaction he could soon be back in contention.

Safe trip and get behind the lads.

Carpe Diem

8-) WD