THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fringe players
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:06 pm 

So MW has very quickly established his preferred starting 11, but squad depth will become important as we'll eventually need to rotate and unless we're ridiculously lucky, there will be injuries to players.

Now considering every single starting player has drastically improved under MW, that will hopefully be the same for most of the 'fringe' players too. So which players do you think can do a job with the new system and who will also regain the form we know they're capable of?

For me, I think Harrison, Devoy and Hunter will do well. Smith seems to be reliable but just unsure on his ability on the ball. I'd add Burns to the list too but he seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth. Finally, Lewington. We know he can play this system, but will we see him again?

Williams is a bit in between for me. I think he can do a job for us, but like Smith, I am not sure on his ability on the ball and he's a significant downgrade on what Payne offers us when linking defence and midfield.

I'm less sure about - Eisa, Leko, Stewart and Dennis. We know the quality of Eisa, but he has been given some minutes under MW and hasn't looked sharp at all. That concerns me. At this stage, I wouldn't be disappointed to see any of these 4 leave in January.

Post subject: Re: Fringe players
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:10 pm 

A fair summary and I'd generally concur. But don't write Mo off too soon. If he replaces his sulky-face for his game-face, he could still have a great season.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:37 pm 

We've got a big squad so I think we'll have to lose some of those fringe players in Jan.

I also think that MW's starting XI may change during the season depending on who does well in training, is not injured, responds better to his ideas, etc. Max Dean was 4th choice not long ago and now looks to be the best of all the strikers.

I can definitely see Leko and Eisa going (the latter more to do with his contract). Maybe O'Hora too.
I don't think we can get rid of Harrison so soon after spending big bucks on him and maybe we need to keep him anyway.

I'm looking forward to seeing Lewie come back in to the team and Hunter as well. Hunter would take Grant's place for me.

Decoy I can see coming in only when we have an injury and that would be after Williams comes in. Smith and Stewart are further down the pecking order due to their lack of ball playing ability.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:07 pm 

If hunter regains fitness i could see him providing competition/cover for tomlinson and norman in that wide midfield/wb role.

Harrison is an unknown but his touch will have to improve if hes to do well snd will have to settle down and be less irratic on the ball. But with balls played into him more accurately and not aimlessly his physicality could be key in the remainder of the season. But again an unknown in s possession based team.

Devoy for me should be one that really grows into this team but id sctually play him further forward as competition for gilbey rather than asking him to be disciplined in a deeper role. Just give him a license to use his energy, creativity and eye for goal he showed at bohs.

Burns its worth remembering is still very young, think he will take longer if at all. He will need to be nurtered back into the fold. He has the skillset to play in this style if hes able to get there mentally, physically and compete at this level. Worth remembering him and devoy were signed for manning ball unlike the alexander signings. However it could be a benavente/aguza deal where one is to go on to do well and the other drops in level but were signed together to help each other settle.

I personally think the area we need to strengthen in january is cb if a darling type deal comes up where we can sign a player with the skillset before the vultures fight over them in the summer when its a bidding wat. I say this as i cant see much continuity and succession planning beyond the 3 starters, jack davies seems to have faded into obscurity after being highly regarded and i just dont see stewart, smith or lewie coming in and doing what tucks, ohora and harvie have been doing of late.

Leko and eisa both need to change their mentality and look at the players playing shead of them for inspiration. They arent too good for this level, its where they are at and if they arent careful will drop further in leko case who hasnt settled at any club hes been at after shoeing so much promise at youth international level. They both hsve the natural skill to be game changers but in a style heavy system just individual talent alone eill not cut it, its a team game and they need to do the team stuff better.

For me the ones i want to see kick on especially are grant, devoy, burns, dean, tripp, anker who are all young assests with the potential to be big assets for us to develop. Its in our best interests they shine.

Where is joel anker i seldom see him mentioned even when on loan?