THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Day & Night...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:25 pm 

Scum. wrote:
I toss and turn, I keep stressing my mind, I look for peace but see I don't attain what I need for keeps, this silly game we play.

I see what you did there. ;)
Try yoga.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:14 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
Black and white... Chalk and cheese... Something and something that is the opposite...

Whichever hackneyed phrase you care to choose, it's extraordinary how different the team are playing in so short a space of time. Lots still to improve on but, bloody hell, what a transformation!

Lewie talks about this in his post-Morecambe interview. After the chat about his record, he talks about the current style of play and how he prefers it (while being respectful to the un-named GA). He expresses pleasure and surprise at how quickly the change has worked - he talks intelligently about how this sort of change normally takes time to instill (as we saw under RM). He says there's more to come, more "to be layered on", with hours on the training pitch etc.

It's in the last minute or two of the interview. It's worth a watch.

https://www.mkdons.com/news/2023/december2/press-conference-dean-lewington-touches-on-tying-an-efl-record/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:15 pm 

The joys of being being the Silky whites eh!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:13 am 

Ormeau wrote:
The joys of being being the Silky whites eh!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:59 am 

keyser soze wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
Black and white... Chalk and cheese... Something and something that is the opposite...

Whichever hackneyed phrase you care to choose, it's extraordinary how different the team are playing in so short a space of time. Lots still to improve on but, bloody hell, what a transformation!

Lewie talks about this in his post-Morecambe interview. After the chat about his record, he talks about the current style of play and how he prefers it (while being respectful to the un-named GA). He expresses pleasure and surprise at how quickly the change has worked - he talks intelligently about how this sort of change normally takes time to instill (as we saw under RM). He says there's more to come, more "to be layered on", with hours on the training pitch etc.

It's in the last minute or two of the interview. It's worth a watch.

https://www.mkdons.com/news/2023/december2/press-conference-dean-lewington-touches-on-tying-an-efl-record/

Good listen. Love the mention of Jamie Mackie, who I once saw in DFS (or other discount furniture store).

I remember discussions during the end of GA where some fans mentioned style not being important if results are good. The impression I get from Lewie is style is important to those on the field, a slight subtle dig at GA in there for kicking and chasing it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:55 am 

Imagine if a team of players went on the pitch with no instructions or tactics, they would play how they wanted to, obviously it would be an uncoordinated disaster so the manager sets out a team shape and gives players individual instructions. During the game the players play according to a combination of the instructions they got and their own instincts so the closer they are aligned the better they play, under GA it looked like too many players were doing what wasn't natural leaving it disjointed, under MW the players seem more natural which I think is what Lewie was expressing and why it hasn't taken long to get the basics right.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:16 pm 

MKAylesburyDon wrote:
Imagine if a team of players went on the pitch with no instructions or tactics, they would play how they wanted to, obviously it would be an uncoordinated disaster so the manager sets out a team shape and gives players individual instructions. During the game the players play according to a combination of the instructions they got and their own instincts so the closer they are aligned the better they play, under GA it looked like too many players were doing what wasn't natural leaving it disjointed, under MW the players seem more natural which I think is what Lewie was expressing and why it hasn't taken long to get the basics right.

I also think that was the issue with Manning. He was always big on giving freedom to players to make decisions, which sounds good in principle. But I think the only reason it worked is because of the squad he inherited who all had the same style to fall back on, and when you've got a mismatch of lower quality players in there, then their instincts don't gel. I think Williams has done well to get everyone into the same organised style, but even more credit to Sweeting for getting players with the right natural style to complement that (and makes the GA appointment even more baffling)