THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jack Payne
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:52 am 

Magpie wrote:
Russybcool wrote:
Magpie wrote:
Camdenite wrote:
BetterCallSaul wrote:
Sign him on a perm. Or player swap him with Charlton for Kemp.

Makes no sense to me. No club in our position would swap a 23yr old hot prospect for a 29yr old who, apart from one season in the Championship, has spent his whole career in the bottom two divisions. Jack Payne will never play higher than L1. I suspect he's a much higher wage at Chalrton than Dan Kemp is on with us too. We'd have to make up the difference. It could be substantial and the weekly cost of another player!

You have to think of the re-sale value and potential development of the respective players when weighing up a "swap". No way could they be seen of equal value when you take into acount the factors above.

Yep, no business case for that swap at all. May as well recall Kemp in January and see how he performs under MW. If he doesnt want to be here then flog him. Bear in mind that Kemp was pretty awful when he was here so there are no guarantees.

yeah yeah yeah but that is when we were in League 1 look now he is scoring for fun and Swindon lose when he doesn't play. How dare you bring logic into an illogical argument :lol: . There is no guarantees with anything in life bar death and taxes. To be honest if we carry on the way we are going if the improvements continue on the regular do we really need Kemp to come back? If he is happy and is playing football (which he is) why stifle his progress. We can then assess next season depending on what league we are in. As you say he wasn't very good in the dozen or so games he played for us in League 1 which is fact. Unless we are injury stricken I don't really see the point in recalling him.

Recall him because a) hes strengthening a rival b) whilst we have quite a big squad, a good few of them were purchased for hoofball c) Kemps stock will likely never go higher so if we dont want him or he doesnt want us, its a good time to sell.

So big if here. If it doesn't work and he is sitting on a bench again then his stock will fall down and what if he is sold to a rival? You are saying this like he wouldn't be sold to a league 2 club. He would more than likely be sold to a league 2 club so then we lose out to a league rival anyway. Whilst I am sure the money would be put to good use :roll: just keep him where he is. If we are as "good" as we think we are it wouldn't matter if he strengthens Swindon. That's just my opinion. Doesn't mean it's gospel, just so many variables in a situation like this.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:51 pm 

Russybcool wrote:
Magpie wrote:
Russybcool wrote:
Magpie wrote:
Camdenite wrote:
BetterCallSaul wrote:

Makes no sense to me. No club in our position would swap a 23yr old hot prospect for a 29yr old who, apart from one season in the Championship, has spent his whole career in the bottom two divisions. Jack Payne will never play higher than L1. I suspect he's a much higher wage at Chalrton than Dan Kemp is on with us too. We'd have to make up the difference. It could be substantial and the weekly cost of another player!

You have to think of the re-sale value and potential development of the respective players when weighing up a "swap". No way could they be seen of equal value when you take into acount the factors above.

Yep, no business case for that swap at all. May as well recall Kemp in January and see how he performs under MW. If he doesnt want to be here then flog him. Bear in mind that Kemp was pretty awful when he was here so there are no guarantees.

yeah yeah yeah but that is when we were in League 1 look now he is scoring for fun and Swindon lose when he doesn't play. How dare you bring logic into an illogical argument :lol: . There is no guarantees with anything in life bar death and taxes. To be honest if we carry on the way we are going if the improvements continue on the regular do we really need Kemp to come back? If he is happy and is playing football (which he is) why stifle his progress. We can then assess next season depending on what league we are in. As you say he wasn't very good in the dozen or so games he played for us in League 1 which is fact. Unless we are injury stricken I don't really see the point in recalling him.

Recall him because a) hes strengthening a rival b) whilst we have quite a big squad, a good few of them were purchased for hoofball c) Kemps stock will likely never go higher so if we dont want him or he doesnt want us, its a good time to sell.

So big if here. If it doesn't work and he is sitting on a bench again then his stock will fall down and what if he is sold to a rival? You are saying this like he wouldn't be sold to a league 2 club. He would more than likely be sold to a league 2 club so then we lose out to a league rival anyway. Whilst I am sure the money would be put to good use :roll: just keep him where he is. If we are as "good" as we think we are it wouldn't matter if he strengthens Swindon. That's just my opinion. Doesn't mean it's gospel, just so many variables in a situation like this.

Of course there are variables, thats a given in football but why on earth would we leave him at Swindon? It benefits no-one but Swindon or him. Hes under contract to us and was previously out of favour so he asked to leave. Whether it be luck or judgement we didnt sell him at that time but we have a new manager now and Kemp might be useful to him. If not, sell him in the january window for whatever some other club is willing to pay. Leaving him where he is risks injury, loss of form, further running down of his contract. None of those benefit this club. Its time we started acting like that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:14 pm 

Yeah, we ain't selling him in Jan. A fool would pay money for someone who would be free in six months (I didn't realise his contract was up next summer). Add him to the O'Hora and Eisa list and any others who's contracts are up at the end of the season. Recall him IF we are going to play him and only IF. He may surprise us and resign depending on how Williamson and Sweeting play it, but I am sure that if we were going to sell him last summer was the time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:36 pm 

BetterCallSaul wrote:

Or lets have both of them in the starting 11...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:36 pm 

JtL264 wrote:
BetterCallSaul wrote:

Yup and with Hunter now out for even longer, Kemp will be an important addition in January

----------Payne----------
Gilbey - Robson - Kemp
----------Dean-----------

Of course, Kemp will have to displace Grant first, but that will be some midfield/attacking line

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:41 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
JtL264 wrote:
BetterCallSaul wrote:

Yup and with Hunter now out for even longer, Kemp will be an important addition in January

----------Payne----------
Gilbey - Robson - Kemp
----------Dean-----------

Of course, Kemp will have to displace Grant first, but that will be some midfield/attacking line

I think if he wants to come back in January he walks straight into the team tbh. Grant still not done quite enough for me.

That is a heck of an attacking line up though.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:36 am 

We 100% need to recall Kemp in January. Partly to mess with Swindon but mainly because he walks away for free in 6 months anyway. His L2 stock is high so there are three outcomes:

1. he plays here and is made to feel more at home by the new manager and tactics,
2. we manage to get a fee and sell-on fee from another L2 club desperate for some creativity,
3. we let him leave for free with a sell-on clause which, for a 23 year old, is better than another 6 month loan and then release

Plus we may lose Payne in the same way. Kemp is our player and we have to put MK first.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:25 pm 

I think he will be on the first train back to MK after today :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:42 pm 

BuckDon wrote:
I think he will be on the first train back to MK after today :lol:

Though Swindon are above us in the table and we are also out of the FA Cup so it’s a sideways move either way!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:51 pm 

Dad_Of_A_Don wrote:
We 100% need to recall Kemp in January. Partly to mess with Swindon but mainly because he walks away for free in 6 months anyway. His L2 stock is high so there are three outcomes:

1. he plays here and is made to feel more at home by the new manager and tactics,
2. we manage to get a fee and sell-on fee from another L2 club desperate for some creativity,
3. we let him leave for free with a sell-on clause which, for a 23 year old, is better than another 6 month loan and then release

Plus we may lose Payne in the same way. Kemp is our player and we have to put MK first.

1. Only way this works is if we get promoted.
2. Not going to get much value given he has six months left, very minimal fee.
3. Leave for free, with a sell-on? I assume you mean in January.

For me, sell to Swindon and put the funds towards Payne. Club made a lot from Elon Musk and Rishi Sunak staying at the hotel this week. We should have more than enough money to buy Payne.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next