THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:38 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:55 am 

Just a random thought - I wonder if Micciche's background in youth development will bring a couple of indirect benefits :-

1) Clubs may be very keen to see their better youngsters go out on loan to benefit from his success in youth development. This seems clear cut.

2) Rather more subtle (and possibly tenuous) is that if there ever was a windfall from a Dele sale, Micciche might be in a stronger negotiation position with PW for a higher proportion to be spent on new players, given that he could play the 'I was the one that played a big part in Dele's development that has now helped to bring this money to the club' card. PW is a businessmen, so that might not be even vaguely effective, but I suspect there might be a subtle 'emotional play' that at least might make him able to negotiate a bit more money to be invested back in new players.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:26 am 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
familymkdonsfan wrote:
Just a random thought - I wonder if Micciche's background in youth development will bring a couple of indirect benefits :-

1) Clubs may be very keen to see their better youngsters go out on loan to benefit from his success in youth development. This seems clear cut.

2) Rather more subtle (and possibly tenuous) is that if there ever was a windfall from a Dele sale, Micciche might be in a stronger negotiation position with PW for a higher proportion to be spent on new players, given that he could play the 'I was the one that played a big part in Dele's development that has now helped to bring this money to the club' card. PW is a businessmen, so that might not be even vaguely effective, but I suspect there might be a subtle 'emotional play' that at least might make him able to negotiate a bit more money to be invested back in new players.

1. Not sure that would be an "indirect" benefit. Considering that teenage loans play a huge part in our transfer policy, then I figure that PW would have taken that well into consideration when choosing Micciche. And that managers like Grayson would have taken it into consideration when not touching us with a barge pole.

2. I highly doubt it. I'm sure Micciche coming in reduces the likelihood of much expenditure. An inexperienced manager, grateful for his first job, and used to working with youngsters, is much more likely to "buy" into the cheaper option of young loans and academy players, rather than start pushing for big spending: whereas more established managers might have only come to the club if given assurances that money was to be spent.

Note: None of that was meant to portray displeasure with the appointment. I'm perfectly happy to go back to the MK way. It was just, in my opinion, a realistic view of the appointment.
And on that, I remember Carlo Ancelotti saying how he believes that the reason why a manager got a job was, in the end, often the reason why he was later sacked. And I think he's right. He said he's learned that his role was the nice guy, employed when a team had just had a disciplinarian and the dressing room needed uniting. But then, when he was sacked, it was always felt he was too chummy with the players and that the club needed a disciplinarian. And the cycle would continue. I've noticed he's right with a lot of clubs, and it certainly fits with us. Robbo was loved for his style of play, but in the end that inflexibility of style was what led to discontent when the results went wrong. We brought in someone entirely different to be more pragmatic. And now we've gone straight back to the old way. Carlo was right: the cycle continues. :)

Zen like. :ugeek:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:47 pm 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
familymkdonsfan wrote:

1. Not sure that would be an "indirect" benefit. Considering that teenage loans play a huge part in our transfer policy, then I figure that PW would have taken that well into consideration when choosing Micciche. And that managers like Grayson would have taken it into consideration when not touching us with a barge pole.

2. I highly doubt it. I'm sure Micciche coming in reduces the likelihood of much expenditure. An inexperienced manager, grateful for his first job, and used to working with youngsters, is much more likely to "buy" into the cheaper option of young loans and academy players, rather than start pushing for big spending: whereas more established managers might have only come to the club if given assurances that money was to be spent.

Note: None of that was meant to portray displeasure with the appointment. I'm perfectly happy to go back to the MK way. It was just, in my opinion, a realistic view of the appointment.
And on that, I remember Carlo Ancelotti saying how he believes that the reason why a manager got a job was, in the end, often the reason why he was later sacked. And I think he's right. He said he's learned that his role was the nice guy, employed when a team had just had a disciplinarian and the dressing room needed uniting. But then, when he was sacked, it was always felt he was too chummy with the players and that the club needed a disciplinarian. And the cycle would continue. I've noticed he's right with a lot of clubs, and it certainly fits with us. Robbo was loved for his style of play, but in the end that inflexibility of style was what led to discontent when the results went wrong. We brought in someone entirely different to be more pragmatic. And now we've gone straight back to the old way. Carlo was right: the cycle continues. :)

Zen like. :ugeek:

Existence is suffering. :ugeek: