The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:21 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Pep Clotet
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:05 pm 

Oakeedokee wrote:
According to wiki RN at MK is 37.9%.
And 58.5% at Hearts. Some turnaround.

How accurate do you think League One managerial stats are on Wikipedia?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:31 pm 

99.458% accurate . (according to Wikipedia ).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:19 am 

Don Direction wrote:
Oakeedokee wrote:
According to wiki RN at MK is 37.9%.
And 58.5% at Hearts. Some turnaround.

How accurate do you think League One managerial stats are on Wikipedia?

The Robbie Neilson ones are correct as I updated it myself.

In general wikipedia is accurate, as incorrect edits are deleted and corrected by the admins, and anyone who updates with false entries is usually banned fairly quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:24 pm 

It seems Oxford are following our old route and are considering Frank Lampard (instead of Steven Gerrard). Personally I find this more risky and if they do appoint him it will be interesting to see if we finish above them.

http://www.thesackrace.com/news/24th-ja ... out-return

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:31 pm 

Talking of Wiki can a chav add that MKD are join record-holders of the most away wins in a season. Side-note to the chav also mention that only injury time goals prevented MKD from winning at Shrewsbury and Rochdale (2 goals conceded).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:50 pm 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
It seems Oxford are following our old route and are considering Frank Lampard (instead of Steven Gerrard). Personally I find this more risky and if they do appoint him it will be interesting to see if we finish above them.

http://www.thesackrace.com/news/24th-ja ... out-return

I think he's more likely to make a good manager than many other great players as he's always come across as dedicated and professional and was a good team man, a mindset which seems to help when moving into management.
I think the trouble with a smallish league one team like Oxford appointing a young big-name player like Lampard as manager is that it is very likely to be quite short term: it is sure to be a stepping stone for him and if he proves a success the media attention will highlight it and give him plenty of coverage and clubs higher up the food chain will quickly come sniffing around. Alternatively, if he fails, as many great players do as manager, then the club will probably sack him. What's highly unlikely is that Lampard, even if he is a success, will remain at Oxford for more than 12-18 months. Mind you, that's still longer than most appointments nowadays.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:17 pm 

Ever been down the Cowley Road, it's the mecca for street drinkers. Get yourself outside Tesco Metro with a drop of Diamond White and shout abuse at the shoppers / a pound for a cup of tea (Diamond White really). It's the Oxford way. Don't see that on Lewis!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:20 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
I think he's more likely to make a good manager than many other great players as he's always come across as dedicated and professional and was a good team man, a mindset which seems to help when moving into management.

I believe it requires more than that. Look at Tony Adams, a great players with all the above, but a mediocre manager. I feel they need a football philosophy that works and players can buy into. Hopefully Dan has that, but Frank I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:39 pm 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:

I believe it requires more than that. Look at Tony Adams, a great players with all the above, but a mediocre manager. I feel they need a football philosophy that works and players can buy into. Hopefully Dan has that, but Frank I'm not so sure.

Yeah, you're right, it definitely takes more than those three things. But if you don't even have those, then you've no chance. That's why great players but who were individualistic or unprofessional like Maradona, Gazza, etc, were never going to make great managers. Whereas great players who were dedicated and good team man, like Pep, have a much better chance. But you're right. It takes more than just those three things. I can see Lampard being a success but certainly wouldn't bet on it.