THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:03 pm 

THE MELTDOWN – CREWE ALEX
After sitting watching the Sky Sports Transfer Centre nearly all day and constantly refreshing Twitter, and TCR with its high volume of posts that made it almost impossible to follow as it charged to over 230 pages and 2300 comments, it appears I was wrong footed by the club as the chimes struck 11pm and I decided it was time to clear my head and walk the dog.

On my return striker Ellis Harrison was secured from Port Vale for an undisclosed sum, and then we wake up to the news that defender Anthony Stewart had comeback on loan from Aberdeen following his injury blighted loan last season.

So, on the face of it we look like we have done some decent business now these final pieces of the puzzle have fallen in to place, time will of course decide.
Thankfully that’s it until January when the whole bloody circus starts again. No more distractions and its on with league football and our much anticipated trip to Crewe.

One change it looks like with Ash Hunter coming in to replace Mo who had a heel injury and finally hobbled off last week against Doncaster, Mo moves to the bench.

Well if you are looking for a long detailed description of what went wrong and why, I suggest you read the last few editions og the Meltdown where I made it very clear on every occasion that whilst I was happy we had won, the only reason we had won was because the opposition had failed to expose our weak underbelly, and basically couldn’t shoot for toffee, but none of those problems for Crewe who it has to be said ran out deserved winners.

Whilst Crewe were dangerous on the break in the first half I thought we dealt with the threat relatively comfortably, with Tucker looking the pick of the backline and when once again we scored early doors this time through the persistence of Leko everything looked to be going to plan.

I was particularly impressed with our high pressing tactics with Gilbey and Robson running the midfield, forcing turnovers, and regenerating the forward motion of the team, with my only criticisms being we occasionally overhit the final ball, or in the case of Leko who can be extraordinarily frustrating at times, simply because he tries to do to much and really doesn’t know when to release the ball.

The second half….and we should have guessed, was awful from us, bloody awful in fact. Gone was our high press, Robson and Devoy went missing and we couldn’t get a toe on the ball, and when we did we just hoofed it forward to nobody. They went three up front and basically we had no answer, and when the goals started going in you weren’t surprised as the writing was on the wall almost from the re-start and this was the 5th game out of 6 we were dominated, outclassed, and out-thought, but this time the better team won.

In the second half I thought Devoy was terrible, the number of times he got caught out of position or on the wrong side of his man was frankly embarrassing, but probably not as embarrassing because it took GA until the 80th minute to give him the hook.

Talking of subs, Mo was left on the bench despite us chasing the game so you can only presume he is not 100% fit, and I wouldn’t have been against bringing on Lewie at 1-1 just to calm the ship, I’m sure he will be back next weekend.

Of what I recall Dean was about our only effort in the 2nd half with a solo run from halfway that the Crewe keeper pushed away for a corner, one of only two the entire game. I did say of what I can recall, so if anything happened in injury time can I apologise and say my vision of play was obscured as I was driving out of Crewe at the time…that’s right I jumped ship, I’d seen enough.

I mentioned in the PSF’s my concern about Mac in goal and he has a habit of parrying the ball, and so by giving the attack another bite of the cherry, from what I have seen today, nothing has changed, and the goal he was punished with today will become an increasing statistic as teams will look to prey in this flaw in his makeup as a keeper.

There is very little else to say, but in a nutshell we cannot put a performance in currently for 90 minutes or anything like it, and I can only think that some of these newbies signed on this window will hopefully get a chance to shine, and quickly, on this evidence plenty of today’s starters should be looking in the rear view mirror because there is competition for places now, and it needs it.

Next Saturday we are at home to the leaders, Notts County, 1st versus 2nd and GA needs to make the changes and sort the tactics out, today like the team he came off second best.

See you Soon.

8-) WD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:42 pm 

Yep, another disastrous second half, what does GA tell them at half time? We’ve won the game sit back and take it easy?

We had no answer to Crewe when they switched tactics, which is a concern because it’s becoming a weekly event.

Mo should not even have been on the bench as he is still complaining about a sore foot, which GA alluded to in his post match presser.

Utter shambles

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:44 pm 

Thanks Welldon, I always enjoy these. I watched on ifollow but I didn't realise at the time how bad we were for their third goal, absolutely awful stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:23 pm 

Quite the come-down after a generally enjoyable transfer deadline day. Worried about the Notts County game now.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:31 pm 

One of, if not the best squads in the league, and we're playing a style of play usually adopted by under dogs.

Make it make sense.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:19 am 

It all reminds me of Spurs last season. Top of the league after the first 4/5 games but their performances where awful and everyone said they had to play better to stay there but it would happened because Conte was a proven winner etc. I didn’t happen and they had an awful season….

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:20 am 

Dad_Of_A_Don wrote:
Quite the come-down after a generally enjoyable transfer deadline day. Worried about the Notts County game now.

At least it will be fun to watch a good footballing side.