It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:10 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dawson Devoy
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:57 pm 

Is he good?

- Graham Alexander, October 2023

Post subject: Re: Dawson Devoy
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:59 pm 

I believe so. Controlled midfield for the first 30 minutes and made some really smart passes in the attacking 3rd, then dropped off like the rest of them.

Think he’ll be a scape goat though.

MJ Williams suits GA’s style better though and has a more physical presence. How long he is out for is anyones guess.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:01 pm 

Was Devoy covering MJ's role today? If so, bad pick by GA. Devoy is too light and is far more effective carrying the ball in the opponents' half than breaking up play.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:04 pm 

paul4040 wrote:
Was Devoy covering MJ's role today? If so, bad pick by GA. Devoy is too light and is far more effective carrying the ball in the opponents' half than breaking up play.

He’s pretty good at collecting the ball from the CB’s but agree, too lightweight to break up play.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:32 am 

Yes he is. Very good and progressing the ball forward, maybe the best in our midfield at it. But he isn’t good at what GA wants to do. Bet he would look great in Russball.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:12 am 

He is completely different to our other options in midfield. I think he's got a lot of maturing to do and you can see it in his body language at times. He had some good moments yesterday, but also some moments where he looked out of sorts. You kinda feel it's now or never this season for DD.

There's a lot there for us to make use of and his composure and passing ability is something the other midfielder's don't possess. There's just a real imbalance to his game, as some aspects are a big weakness and become vulnerabilities in the team at times (See yesterday). Josh MC would have been/should have been a real role model and somebody to garner advice and knowledge from, given there are some real similarities to their game. DD is never going to be an MJ, but that aggression and reading of the game, particularly off the ball, are elements he really needs to improve on.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:00 am 

For the Irish league

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:48 am 

Honestly, I dont know.

every time I watch him I form a different opinion of him. I suspect he will be a player who will show moments of quality but too many periods of disappearing in games.

I think he would have looked good in the 21/22 team but ironically wouldnt have got in it in the first place!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:57 am 

To be he's an example of a good few players who'd have benefitted from the old system of month loans. Just can't seem to get to grips with anything for extended spells here which is a shame as he's clearly got something

- Graham Alexander, October 2023

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:16 pm 

I for one, haven't thought much of him since his arrival. Using him in the MJ role simply won't work, as he doesn't have the physical or technical ability to be an anchor in the midfield. If we're to see something from him with GA in charge, he's got to play in a three with Gilbs and MJ, allowing him some licence to show his ability.