THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: ULEZ Charge
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:34 pm 

Think of the children in Africa that mine the cobalt.
Oh I forgot virtue signallers don't count them. Collateral damage they used to call it I believe.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:15 pm 

This is the 1st time I have been accused of being a virtue signaller. :o No, I rather be a horrid person watching a team who pays ugly football for a despised club. :D

Anyway a bit more signalling

https://blog.greenenergyconsumers.org/blog/cobalt

https://earthworks.org/declaration-on-m ... ransition/

Stick that to Elon Musk.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:39 pm 

Remember the Tories suggested expanding the congestion zone out to the north and south circular. That would have impacted on ALL petrol and diesel vehicles. Khan said no.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:39 pm 

In economics the price you pay for something should equal the resource cost of what is involved in the transaction; the labour, minerals, profit etc involved.

Assume you drive a car 5 miles and it costs you (say) £1 which includes insurance and petrol.

But there are other 'external' costs involved e.g the wear and tear on the road and the air pollution.

If the costs of 'clearing up'/sorting these by 'the council' (or whoever) are say 50p then the personal cost of your journey (£1) does not reflect the true resource cost to society of making that journey (£1.50). You are essentially only paying £1 towards the 1.50p worth of 'resources you use.

Now of course there are taxes on insurance, the car itself and petrol. Let's say these equal 30p ....well for a start these taxes disappear into the general funds of The Treasury rather than specifically improving air quality or public transport ie 'sorting the problem'. Therefore someone else pays the remaining 20p to sort the problem that you caused. Same applies to alcohol and cigarette consumption.

Of course it is not possible to exactly measure the total/true costs of a car journey and therefore not possible to say what the tax to 'sort it out' should be.

However the principle of taxing someone (or a firm) to raise funds for the external 'problems' they cause from buying something/producing something is perfectly sound. It is very disingenuous to just say it is 'wrong'.

The phrase is 'Polluter Pays'. The person/firm that causes the problem should pay for it to be sorted - not someone else.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:42 pm 

midfielder wrote:
Towcestrian wrote:
Ormeau wrote:
Towcestrian wrote:
Council Kev wrote:
Vote Conservative.

It was their idea originally...

Indeed. They are all aligned, they are all the same.

They are all the same in the way that they speak and are 'media-trained'

I reckon they should put ex-National League and League Two managers in ministerial positions as it would be much more entertaining.

I would put Martin Allen in charge of something important.

You’ve clearly not heard Nadine Dorris or Dominic Raab talk if you think they are trained in anything let alone media :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:09 pm 

BarryR wrote:
Get ready for it in Milton Keynes
It will come as it raises such huge sums and I believe its a liebour council now.
The stadium will be in the zone.
I'm oiling my bike chain in readiness.
I believe a coach as a commercial vehicle has to pay £300 so the price will put a fiver on the fare at least.

It won't come here.