THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: ULEZ Charge
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:43 pm 

Whilst it doesn’t directly involve us, it will when we take on Sutton and Merton.
The charge I believe is £12-50 for a non-compliant vehicle, but what I am struggling to understand is, if everyone continues to travel into London in non-compliant vehicles how will that improve air quality.
Another point is Khan is saying the air quality has improved by 10% since ULEZ was adopted and proves the policy is working, but how much is that down to more vehicles being ULEZ compliant these days.

Post subject: Re: ULEZ Charge
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:50 pm 
WellDon wrote:
Whilst it doesn’t directly involve us, it will when we take on Sutton and Merton.
The charge I believe is £12-50 for a non-compliant vehicle, but what I am struggling to understand is, if everyone continues to travel into London in non-compliant vehicles how will that improve air quality.
Another point is Khan is saying the air quality has improved by 10% since ULEZ was adopted and proves the policy is working, but how much is that down to more vehicles being ULEZ compliant these days.

It'll only affect us indirectly, most will take the coach or train down there won't they? When I say indirectly, if the coach company increases the cost because of this but even then it should be minimal when you think of the charge divided by passengers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:01 pm 

On a related point. One of the reasons I stopped working in London was partly due to this. I almost felt that they didn't want anyone working in Central London. £12.50 when you went into the ULEZ. £6.13 per hour to park, and you can now only pay for parking using one of the multiple apps on your phone. They don't accept cash any longer. £15 congestion charge. All of that before fuel, and time spent in traffic.

But as Filthy says, most will use the coach or public transport when attending matches. I know I would.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:03 pm 

Has it not occurred to anybody that people driving around in 17+ year old cars are very unlikely to be able to afford a more modern car. Even with £2000 scrappage money.

So a Labour Mayor clobbers the poor. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:07 pm 

donmentor wrote:
Has it not occurred to anybody that people driving around in 17+ year old cars are very unlikely to be able to afford a more modern car. Even with £2000 scrappage money.

So a Labour Mayor clobbers the poor. :roll:

Don't think we should descend into party politics on this issue. But if Labour lose the next election due to this, I feel the central party will be slightly more than pissed off with Khan. Even more so than they are now. Which is a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:13 pm 

Vote Conservative.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:24 pm 

Council Kev wrote:
Vote Conservative.

It was their idea originally...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:34 pm 

Council Kev wrote:
Vote Conservative.

Never after the absolute clusterfuck of the last decade.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:37 pm 

Towcestrian wrote:
Council Kev wrote:
Vote Conservative.

Grant Schapps, whilst Secretary of State for Transport, told Kahn that he would not provide additional funding to Transport for London and that any additional resources should be raised by extending the ULEZ scheme. This was all done in a formal capacity and therefore on the public record. You can find the written correspondence online - I've seen Schapps letter to Kahn.

Kahn/Labour did indeed take the decision. However it was in response to Conservative Government policies and following Conservative Government Minister recommendations.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:42 pm 

Ormeau wrote:
Towcestrian wrote:
Council Kev wrote:
Vote Conservative.

Grant Schapps, whilst Secretary of State for Transport, told Kahn that he would not provide additional funding to Transport for London and that any additional resources should be raised by extending the ULEZ scheme. This was all done in a formal capacity and therefore on the public record. You can find the written correspondence online - I've seen Schapps letter to Kahn.

Kahn/Labour did indeed take the decision. However it was in response to Conservative Government policies and following Conservative Government Minister recommendations.

Indeed. They are all aligned, they are all the same.