THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:08 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:52 pm 

Camdenite wrote:
rosie47 wrote:
the numbers are skewed because we have scored early in nearly every game (a very good sign and a marked difference from last season).

there is no doubt we're fortunate to have 12 points and riding the quality of eisa in particular, but what did people expect? we have about 10 outfield players who can be relied upon and a handful of others who struggled last season and don't seem to be turning it around under a new manager i.e. not ready or not good enough. it's clear the first group is being pushed too hard right now and depth is needed.

there are real positives in the much-improved fitness and mentality, both of which were a disaster last season. if they get it right this week the football will improve.

Completely agree about the early goals skewing the stats. It appears that we have another boss in the Tisdale mould who’s happy to sit on what we have. Possession, xG and passing stats will always take a hit under the circumstances of finding yourself a goal up within 20 minutes, which, if I’m not mistaken, we have LC every game.

For me, the good results so far are about the characters out there that will drag us through games. There’s a few. We have really not had that for a long time. Smith’s yellow card challenge and Gilbey’s 98th minute block on a cross epitomised that spirit yesterday.

Haha, I was sat right in front of Smith's terrific foul yesterday and he was so unbelievably late even he was embarrassed. Not a great yellow to pick up but I suppose if it's that or letting him run past you I'll take the former.

Gilbey chasing down their keeper and blocking that deep cross in the last minute are good examples of what we have missed though. Get right up in the grills of the opposition and don't for a moment think you're better than them by default.

Williams, while clearly unfit, showed a lot of class yesterday in hustling some loose balls and headers Devoy wouldn't have got either. Overall it was a tetchy game and Donny were the better team for the whole of the second half but they created a sum total of zero clear chances (even their goal was a worked angle and an excellent finish and not what I'd consider a clear chance) in the second half and only one "should have scored that" type chance in the first.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:00 am 

Yes we are top but we have played some of the poorer teams in the division. We were well beaten by Crawley who were battered by Swindon.. so I feel we are in a very false position. However, although Saturday wasn't great, there were definite signs of improvement from the other games, particularly the last half hour of the 1st half that we completely controlled. I'm just hoping that we are still in sort of a 'pre season' phase with Alexander, and he is still in the process of instilling his ideas into the team and that we will improve week on week. The massive positive is that we are top and have been largely poor.. improvements will hopefully come and I am hoping we will start to deservedly win games and hammer teams.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:03 am 

We are top cause this league is dog shit. We are just at the moment least shit. I mean look last week the media were bumming Gillingham. Oohhh perfect start. No goals conceded. Four 1-0 wins. Then what do they do. Go and lose 3-0 to a team that at that point hadnt won a game. A team that we scraped by. I looked at the odd of winning the league we are 4th at 10/1 and now notts county are favourites (and rightly so in my book as on paper they did have the best squad).

We will lose some our team isn't amazing and I am glad we got the first loss out the way but September will be more challenging we just have be realistic we have had a good if not inspiring start but thats all it is. A start. Keep your feet on the ground everything will be ok.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:50 am 

SW4don wrote:
Yes we are top but we have played some of the poorer teams in the division. We were well beaten by Crawley who were battered by Swindon.. so I feel we are in a very false position.

Every club is in a false position though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:56 am 

Usually the table won’t take proper shape until round 10, this season is expect it to take around 15/16 games before we get a true reflection of the division. We’re top because we’ve won 4 games despite playing poorly and long May those wins continue.