THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:19 pm 

These are the types of games you play in a successful season, then you look back with rose tinted glasses and remember them completely differently!

Gilbey M.O.M for me by a country mile.

Any reason why the Dennis foul wasn't given as a penalty? Looked to be stonewall from the East Stand

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:33 pm 

As someone who hasn't been to a game yet for various reasons, and relies a lot on this forum for info - I really can't work it out! Top of the league but is it just luck (i.e. playing Wrexham first and catching them cold, playing the only winless team today, etc) or is L2 just that crappy? As others have noted, the only team to beat us just got spanked by a team with a playmaker not good enough for us.

I guess the next home game - Notts County after the transfer deadline - will be more of a litmus test.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:36 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
Terrible performance again. Thought the subs weren’t right either and we just allowed Doncaster to attack over and over again.

Dennis complete waste of space. Came on and jogged around for a bit. Leko subbed too early.

MJ did add a physical presence in midfield that we needed but very sloppy on the ball.

Impossible to pick a MOTM for that one.

Gilbey ran his socks off.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:40 pm 

I've come to the conclusion that L2 is a parallel world where strikers can't shoot, players can't pass and where the vertical is more important that the horizontal. The only puzzle is out to get promoted and out of this league.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:06 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
Terrible performance again. Thought the subs weren’t right either and we just allowed Doncaster to attack over and over again.

Dennis complete waste of space. Came on and jogged around for a bit. Leko subbed too early.

MJ did add a physical presence in midfield that we needed but very sloppy on the ball.

In order:
Yes. Totally agree. WTF was the point of taking Leko off when it was obvious that poor old Mo was in trouble and couldn't last long?
Dennis? I was put in mind of 'the tub of lard' on Have I Got News For You many years ago.Useless.
Didn't see MJ do anything worthwhile but then I was watching the rain falling a lot of the time rather than the game itself.
Got to be Gilbey. Really solid performance.

Back on topic I said to one of the Junior Ramones. 'Dear gawd, the decent teams in this league are going to destroy us'. He replied 'We are one of the decent teams'.
I'd forgotten what L2 was gonna be like......... :(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:13 pm 

Aliramone wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:

In order:
Yes. Totally agree. WTF was the point of taking Leko off when it was obvious that poor old Mo was in trouble and couldn't last long?
Dennis? I was put in mind of 'the tub of lard' on Have I Got News For You many years ago.Useless.
Didn't see MJ do anything worthwhile but then I was watching the rain falling a lot of the time rather than the game itself.
Got to be Gilbey. Really solid performance.

Back on topic I said to one of the Junior Ramones. 'Dear gawd, the decent teams in this league are going to destroy us'. He replied 'We are one of the decent teams'.
I'd forgotten what L2 was gonna be like......... :(

The bizarre substitutions is a GA trait, well known for it at previous clubs, seemed plain to me Mo wouldn’t last much longer and should have been subbed, that’s what most managers would have done, but no that’s not GA style, instead we end up with a front three of Illunga, Dennis and Hunter, which was pretty ineffective both going forward or pressing defenders

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:31 pm 
Yep, L2 is shit, we just still have a bit of that leftover L1 quality that sees us through games.

But it won't stay like that. We've struggled against sides that were in the relegation zone when we played them - Colchester and Doncaster. When we play the likes of Mansfield and Swindon who look a threat going forward but also fairly comfortable at the back we're going to be found out,

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:35 pm 

Thinking about the two times we've been promoted from League Two, it's about getting as many points on the board early on, and trying to keep above that 2.0 points per game average which guarantees promotion.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:55 pm 

Filth wrote:
Yep, L2 is shit, we just still have a bit of that leftover L1 quality that sees us through games.

But it won't stay like that. We've struggled against sides that were in the relegation zone when we played them - Colchester and Doncaster. When we play the likes of Mansfield and Swindon who look a threat going forward but also fairly comfortable at the back we're going to be found out,

Exactly.
I fear it's just a matter of time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:07 pm 

Not assed we done what others around us couldnt do and won again. 4 in 5 and back to back league wins is an unreal feat and the part im most pleased about is whatever you think of the auality, the players desire is absolutely unquestionable and they are doing all they can ti drag home 3 points. Onwards and upwards. All i care about is win one draw one all fucking season

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next